Download speed brainfart

So hey guys. As I live in Canada, I get usually 600-800 kb/s download speed on torrents and downloads such as games or music (Im a fan of digital music, as I believe in supporting artists and sometimes I have a lot queued).

Lately, I'm lucky if I can get 50 kb/s at any time of the day, even tho speedtests report that I can go much, much higher. Ideas? I'm on my own, high-speed line with Bell Canada. It's usually pretty fast (for here) when it goes like it's supposed to.

Thanks,
    Chicken

What exactly do the speed tests say you can get?
    Keep in mind the speed tests usually report in kilobits per second, so you have to divide by 8 to get kilobytes per second, which is what torrents/downloads measure in.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The test says im at 4 but usually I sit at around ~7. Patching steam right now.

I mean it should give me around 600-800kb/s download speed, but sadly I sit at under 50.

I believe your ISP is throttling you based on your past data flow. Are there specific hours you usually download stuff or is it 24/7?

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei_Sin View Post
    I believe your ISP is throttling you based on your past data flow. Are there specific hours you usually download stuff or is it 24/7?
    When I need to. Patching games, music, streaming stuff, a few hours a day. Important to note that I have unlimited internet with the highest speed possible here in Ontario. I know that compared to americans it's absolutely nothing, but it's more than sufficient when it works as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post

The test says im at 4 but usually I sit at around ~7. Patching steam right now.

I mean it should give me around 600-800kb/s download speed, but sadly I sit at under 50.
    Try an http download for a high-bandwidth source (like cnet or sourceforge) and see what results you get. Could be your isp is throttling/traffic-shaping your torrents.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

When I need to. Patching games, music, streaming stuff, a few hours a day. Important to note that I have unlimited internet with the highest speed possible here in Ontario. I know that compared to americans it's absolutely nothing, but it's more than sufficient when it works as intended.
    Bell is known to restrict bandwidth depending on the time of the day, try downloading something at a weird hours like 4am or 3pm and see how it goes.

Otherwise you can just call them and say that you're having a bad service for the past *how many days* and see if they mention anything. They could be doing some maintenance or something on their lines to prepare for the winter and stuff.

If your ISP is throttling you, then you should run with encryption turned on. This will foil most ISP attempts to look at your data. utorrent has the option in the preferences under "Bittorrent" section.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajjo View Post
    Jesus christ your ISP is on crack! They don't even offer that kind of speed up here. How long does it take to download, say, an album? (100mb)

Deleted
    Jesus christ your ISP is on crack! They don't even offer that kind of speed up here. How long does it take to download, say, an album? (100mb)
    Sorry to tell you but that's a pretty standard connection in sweden.
    And I can answer that question with that it off course all depends on the uploader, but we assume u have unlimitd upload speed to download from.. meaning it would take about 8sec for a 100mb album

And since I just became a member I cant post any proof so belive if you want.

Where is "up here?" Bell isn't the only provider in Ontario, granted most of the eastern providers are shit. Other options are Cogeco, or the new Bell fiber options. Sucks to be living in Ontario, I <3 my 50mbps Shaw connection in the West.

I'm thinking of switching to a local ISP provider who, since it's local, pretty much does what you ask out of him. It doesn't even require that you buy a shitty Bell modem/router, and you get faster internet for a lower price.

I'm paying over 60$ for my line a month, a ripoff if you ask me.

EDIT: Up here is Ottawa, ON.

It is also under 50 Miles soooo yea ping a server sub 50 miles to yourself and you better get a good connection.

So hey guys. As I live in Canada, I get usually 600-800 kb/s download speed on torrents and downloads such as games or music (Im a fan of digital music, as I believe in supporting artists and sometimes I have a lot queued).

Lately, I'm lucky if I can get 50 kb/s at any time of the day, even tho speedtests report that I can go much, much higher. Ideas? I'm on my own, high-speed line with Bell Canada. It's usually pretty fast (for here) when it goes like it's supposed to.

Thanks,
    Chicken
    You are fucked
    I work for bell canada, and they throttle torrent , you can torrent from 1:30 am to 7or 8 am if you are lucky, myself being a bell canada technician (install/repair phone line/internet + iptv and central office w/e name it I do almost everything) I went with videotron because they do not throttle yet (if you are in ontario you are out of luck rogers throttle torrent too) http download + streaming isnt throttle, like others said in the post you can bypass the throttle by going in the connection setting and setting up a port (1723 works well with bell) open the port in your 2wire(I assume you got this modem with the speed you showed us) If you give me your phone number in PM I could even test your line to see if you could get better (you pay probably for 7Mbps)

---------- Post added 2011-11-08 at 01:09 AM ----------

Wrong bell offer 27 meg (they sell 25 but push 27Mbps) and we have profile on FTTN (fiber to the node) that ago easily at 43 Mbps, and for FTTH (fiber to the home) we can go 300 Mbps + but do not offer it yet CRTC + no need to offer what people arent askign for (what they say lol)

---------- Post added 2011-11-08 at 01:15 AM ----------

I'm thinking of switching to a local ISP provider who, since it's local, pretty much does what you ask out of him. It doesn't even require that you buy a shitty Bell modem/router, and you get faster internet for a lower price.

I'm paying over 60$ for my line a month, a ripoff if you ask me.

EDIT: Up here is Ottawa, ON.
    Threaten them and bell shall offer you the moon try it.....and local ISP LAWL srly you wont have anything better and its a bell canada technician (bell technical solution lol) that will come to install your dry-loop or they will just elave you on the same slam) local ISP are also throttled by bell sorry :S

edit: if you have any question about Bell Canada (anyone on forums IDC) just PM me I can answer all. Yes i work fo teh Big Bad Wolf
    Last edited by McFrotton; 2011-11-08 at 06:18 AM.

Deleted
    Don't derail other users threads just because you feel like post-bragging about your internet connection. There is already a thread for this purpose: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-your-internet

Any random speedtest result linked here will be infracted for spam unless you are specifically asked to post it. Thank you.