10+ Year Old Account

Debating to Overclock...

Hey guys, so as the title suggests I am debating wether or not to overclock. A lot of people seem to do it, and it even seems pretty 'dummy' proof, but ofcourse there is always a risk. Is it worth it?

Intel Sandry Bridge i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz
    Z68A-GD55 (G3)
    Corsair A50 Cooler
    8GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, 667MHz, 1333
    I have Control Center that came with my MSI Mobo, Do I need another kind? And Should I do anything to my ram? Are you supposed to change it?

Thanks for your posts!
    Z68A-GD55 - Nvidia GeForce 580 Twin Frozr - i5 2500k Sandy Bridge - 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance LP

Don't overclock the ram, just the cpu. Ram overclocking has far less benefit and more risk.
    I'd recommend doing a mild 500mhz overclock to start... take your turbo up to 4.2ghz and see how it goes.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

10+ Year Old Account
    That doesnt make much sense when Im looking at my control center lol
    Z68A-GD55 - Nvidia GeForce 580 Twin Frozr - i5 2500k Sandy Bridge - 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance LP

Quote Originally Posted by Wrobble View Post
    That doesnt make much sense when Im looking at my control center lol
    Just do the overclock in the bios. All you have to do for a mild overclock is change one number (the turbo boost cpu multiplier, aka cpu ratio).. change it to 42 for 4.2ghz (should be at 37 by default)... overclocking software just adds more complication and another point of potential failure.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I would only recommend overclocking your CPU and make sure you look at a guide first like this one. Don't use the control center thing, just overclock in the bios. Yes it's pretty easy to overclock especially on Sandybridsge. For the i5 2500k you can get a 4GHz overclock with the voltage on auto.
    Last edited by aisatsana; 2011-11-08 at 02:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd recommend doing it through the BIOS/UEFI rather than whatever overclocking software came with the motherboard.

I'm gonna assume this is your first overclock, so I recommend finding a good guide and following it closely. Sandy Bridge has nearly idiot-proofed overclocking, but there are still many things/terms you should familiarize yourself with ahead of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive looked for guides, but to be honest, I don't have a big enough attention span to read. Where as on forums, I can read countless pages, lol. So if someone a little more experienced could give me a little crash course?

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    Don't overclock the ram, just the cpu. Ram overclocking has far less benefit and more risk.
    I'd recommend doing a mild 500mhz overclock to start... take your turbo up to 4.2ghz and see how it goes.
    This ram run at 1600 native its just that the board did not match the speed well. The voltage of the ram is already at 1.52v and is suited for a 1600 speed just set the speed of teh ram at 1600 and you will be fine (technically in UEFI you will see a 1600 profile 1 thing you wont have anythign to set up)

here is a good guide to start with : http://www.overclock.net/intel-gener...uide-p67a.html
    Last edited by McFrotton; 2011-11-08 at 06:49 AM.