Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What are YOU taking from WoW?

I feel safe when I assume that most of you in this forum have, at some point, invested time in WoW.

My question to you is: What's going with you from WoW to SWToR?

What have you learned about your playstyle from WoW specifically?

What will you do, and what will you avoid?

Eh, I'm a gamer in general. I've played WoW for 5 years simply because I have fun playing it. But I don't take anything with me from one game to another. I'll play SWTOR because I believe it'll be fun. If it doesn't hold my interest I just won't play it anymore. No hard feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    I feel safe when I assume that most of you in this forum have, at some point, invested time in WoW.

My question to you is: What's going with you from WoW to SWToR?

What have you learned about your playstyle from WoW specifically?

What will you do, and what will you avoid?
    By choosng this game I'm hoping to sidestap the pit many mmos have fallen into. The dreaded "Raid or die" model. I hope that between story, companions crafting and some bioware creative influence will create a more small group/single player social games.

The commitment to a raid schedule taking up entire afternoons with no guarantee of it being worth it from a raid is something I want to avoid. I'm hoping for a more pick up and play multiplayer game, not a second job I have to plan around.

Since there is unlikely to ever be another KOTOR game I'm hoping this will finish/continue the story the single player crowd they built a reputation with, not abandon them completely to only focus on the "gimme more raids" crowd that could get the raids in other MMOs (Not suggesting they should be ignored either though).

basically I'm hoping for a game that doesn't forget the RPG part of an mmorpg. WoW did a bad job at delivering in that part and has only gotten worse over time constantly squishing the leveling process into a bland grind of nothing. The voice acting alone in SWTOR will vastly improve that part.

I'm also hoping to leave behind the bloated Blizzard greedy model of giving less and less yet still having praise from the community. Hopefully since Bioware has to fight an uphill battle against blizzard they will put more effort into pleasing their customers instead of only filling their wallets.

The community was terrible in WoW as well hopefully this one will at least be a slight change since this game focuses on more/different things then just the elitest progressive crowd (not all are elitest but pandering to them does make the elitists even more pig headed with a sense of justification and superiority)

The only things I am taking from WoW is some experience and a great mistrust and un-satisfaction from companies that have a monopoly (which makes them arrogant/greedy).
    Biowares Go-to Plan:
    - Offer something for free
    - Change mind and charge for it
    - ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOUR WORK HAS BUGS
    - Never fix bugs and give crappy CS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Raiding and PvPing competitively in WoW, I guess I'll bring over that desire to min max and try to squeeze every juice of gameplay I can, and enjoy the story along the way.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2011-11-09 at 04:23 AM.

One thing i learned in wow is How to Troll on General/Trade chat

10+ Year Old Account
    "where is mankriks wife" and "anyone for stolen silver?" seriously tho Its a MMO so lots of things will be the same. What I wont take along with me will be my emo attitude towards questing and leveling.
    SWTOR: Loveray Legacy @ Tomb of Freedon Nadd | Toyboy • Spray • Loveshot • Thrilldrill • Seax • Penetro • Hotgun • Lustro
    FFXIV ARR: Thrill Drill | Odin EU
    • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
    Swtor eyecandy mm-mmmm! :Þ~

I'm taking a whole lot of experience in the MMO genre.

when I first started wow, which was a week before BC came out, I would get runs from strangers who offered, or given free bags by a person standing near a starting area, and when I hit max level I did the same thing for low level people. By the end of lich king though, all the low level toons were alts of old players, and people stopped being grateful or trying to help each other out.

I hope to return to my roots of helping random people as I level and helping new players into the game and not having to be so pessimistic of low level players being veteran players who want you to run through stuff, and know as much as you so you can't show them the ropes or neat little tricks (which is half the fun of helping new players).

Probably what talents synergize the best with each other and which ones will be more beneficial (instead of the "oooo that looks like a shiny talent!!!!!"). I will also be more on the lookout for rotations and all that fun stuff too instead of just hitting stuff as it pops up. Probably be a bit more comfortable in general chat as well. I remember when I first started playing oh so many years ago, I was just terrified to talk to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixator View Post
    "where is mankriks wife" and "anyone for stolen silver?" seriously tho Its a MMO so lots of things will be the same. What I wont take along with me will be my emo attitude towards questing and leveling.
    Thats sounds interesting please elaborate!

---------- Post added 2011-11-09 at 08:37 AM ----------

Mostly something i really understood in ICC.

It´s much more important to me with who i raid than what i raid or how difficult it is.

I was raiding in a half serious (dont want to say Hardcore) 10man Guild.
    We did beat 10HLK and started to work on achievements and shadowmourne for our DK.

After raid days cut down to two I joined a "causal" raid with an alt.

The Raid was put together by a friend, from a friendly guild, with whom i often organized Old School raids
    and consisted mostly of people we liked (with one puggie from time to time).

Our raid progress was slow and quite some time into the 30% buff we downed Sindragossa and the Lich King.
    While most of my Main raid comrades would have ragequit after an 1hour of raidtime or people being late
    i did enjoy every raid day and always had a great time.
    The vent was often filled with laughter and boy i don't think i ever heard people being happier after killing the Lich King.

And because they did not die they life happily ever after.

Deleted
    My subscription =D

Deleted
    I'm taking... the knowledge not to ever do PUG's.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    My subscription =D
    LOL this! haha

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RevanSparda View Post
    One thing i learned in wow is How to Troll on General/Trade chat
    That will most likely come in use when swtor is out :P

---------- Post added 2011-11-09 at 01:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    My subscription =D
    But yeah, this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shardik View Post
    when I first started wow, which was a week before BC came out, I would get runs from strangers who offered, or given free bags by a person standing near a starting area, and when I hit max level I did the same thing for low level people. By the end of lich king though, all the low level toons were alts of old players, and people stopped being grateful or trying to help each other out.

I hope to return to my roots of helping random people as I level and helping new players into the game and not having to be so pessimistic of low level players being veteran players who want you to run through stuff, and know as much as you so you can't show them the ropes or neat little tricks (which is half the fun of helping new players).
    Yea WotLK was definitely a turning point in the general attitude of the community. I started around the same time as you (maybe earlier) but by about the time Ulduar came around I felt the community went sour. Heroic dungeons were ruined by people wanting to blaze through them and criticizing anyone who didn't have raid gear to do so. Raids became an even bigger race for glory, people wasted hours standing in front of an important npc to show off their achievement mounts ("Look how much better I am"). Leveling was squished to the point where it went by so erratic/disjointed, fast and so monotonous that it became a pointless part of the game.

Respect and kindness did seem to dissolve. Cataclysm only made it worse, leveling got slightly more interesting but endgame became more cut-throat, pointless and arrogant.
    Biowares Go-to Plan:
    - Offer something for free
    - Change mind and charge for it
    - ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOUR WORK HAS BUGS
    - Never fix bugs and give crappy CS.

I'll take the lessons of BC Pally tanking with me. Never let someone tell you that you just can't, never give up, and if it comes down to it play 300 on the way to a wipe. You'd be surprised the amount of moral you can accomplish by going down swinging rather than a simple wipe just to get things sped up. Makes players hungry, and it's a lot of fond memories for me.
    "Every time I see that commercial for this movie I laugh."
    "Which one?"
    "The one with the vegetarian bedazzled vampires."

What I did in WoW was race to the end game and get gear. Hit level 85 then get gear for instances. It was fun while it lasted but I'm pretty determined I won't be driven by any of that anymore. So I'll try to let my curiosity and sense of adventure drive how I level... I hope that SWTOR is designed to accommodate that.

When it comes to instances I'll do them once but I won't go back for "loot". If I enjoyed it I'll go back and do it because I want to have fun. I won't be "farming" heroics to get the best gear or anything.

I'll PvP casually but not to grind so I can get the PvP gear. If its fun then I'll play a lot, if its more like WoW/Rift where its mainly a gear grind and getting roflstomped by TierXX geared people I probably won't even bother.

So basically I'll play till I don't feel like its fun anymore. I am not going to heed the call in my head that says "one more level" or "maybe the next time I'll get that loot" or "need a couple more BG's" and I will try to never idle in the main hub. When I find myself idling for too much that means I need to cancel my subscription.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    I'm taking some pretty high expectations with me, as WoW has consistently been the only MMO I've enjoyed since my hardcore FFXI days.

I'm also taking a pretty good group of friends/guildies with me into TOR. We're all, as far as I know, still going to be playing WoW. But a lot of us are picking up TOR just to scout things out. Some of us are going to power through the leveling process and try to get a good feel for TOR's endgame and how it compares to WoW's.

And I didn't learn this from WoW, but my playstyle has always been in-your-face, melee DPS. I've never been able to enjoy a caster class either, no girly robes for me! ;>
    LOL, I'm all about melee also. Unfortunately, I still wear a girly dress...... I want leggings as enhance dammit!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm bringing the whole "Pay attention and know your class". I don't think it's hard for people to research their class to optimizie them for endgame. Not so much raiding but any type of endgame. I'm not a min/max person and I never picked my race/profs to marginally increase my performance. I just can't stand when people don't care and are wearing healing gear when trying to DPS. It. Fucking. Kills. Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggoman View Post
    ... When I find myself idling for too much that means I need to cancel my subscription.
    no. that means it's time for another Alt!!!

On topic: my 15$ a month. what i've learned from raiding in LK & Cata, & how quickly a healing model in a MMO can change.

---------- Post added 2011-11-09 at 10:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ixator View Post
    lol Thats going to be my 1st spam in general chat.. "where is mankriks wife?"
    LFG is like a playground. the idea is great but retarded kids ruin it for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyskato View Post
    Is it bad that I think that Draenei fan art is really hot?
    fap fap fap
    What?