Second look before clicking Submit

Just looking for some advice before placing this order. I feel good with the choices I made after lurking the forums and researching a bit. Really dont want to have one of these parts be an overkill ( mobo D: ) when im just going to OC it to 4.5ghz or lower.

Here goes:

Case: Corsair 500R Black
    PSU: Corsair AX850 Gold (850W)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3
    CPU: i7 2600k (Picked it up today at microcenter for $279.00)
    Cooler: Corsair H100 (This was a hard choice between the D-14 and the H100)
    HDD: Crucial M4 128GB (Also picked it up today at microcenter for cheaper than newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill 8G Sniper (2X 4GB) 1866 DDR3
    Video Card: EVGA GTX 580 3072MB
    Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Essence STX 7.1 (Have about 150g of music)
    Speakers: Logitech Z623 2.1 200W (Doing the sound card SOME justice)

already own two Asus 24" 1080P monitors to go with this setup and a 1TB sata HD.

Thanks for your time guys
    Last edited by LurkerMcTroll; 2011-11-09 at 05:35 AM.

Deleted
    Everything looks good, I really like the H100 choice with the 500R in mind. Good luck putting it together, the case is easy to work with.

Yeah the MB is a little overkill

You could easily get away with something like a ASRock Z68 Extreme4 $175 || ASRock Z68 PROFESSIONAL GEN3 $255 || ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe $245 || ASUS P8Z68-V PRO $210

Just a few options with different price range.

Case is cool.
    PSU is a bit too powerful for what you have, but it looks like you clear way for SLI. 80-90% of people intending to go SLI before building never do though.
    Motherboard is quite high-end. Do you need it to be? The features it offers over even the UD3-models are few and mostly voltage-related for normal users.
    CPU, sure you're going all out and you already bought it.
    I hope you salvage an old HDD from a previous build, because 128GB is too small. Ya, you do.
    No need for 1866 MHz memory; 1333 or 1600 MHz is more than enough.
    Video card looks good. 3GiB model eh?
    Sound card looks good.
    Speakers looks shoddy. I'd prefer if you bought a 2.0 system from an actual audio/hifi-store. You'd get more for your money, and you'd actually do the sound card SOME justice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure MSI Lightning Xtreme Edition will kick the shit out of EVGA's equivalent in terms of cooling, voltage regulation and overclocking.

Also case doesn't do the build justice. Cut mobo down to a UD4/UD5 and spend that cash on a 650D or HAF-X (both $189). You'll want the awesome cable management these cases offer and their build quality + size.

1866mhz RAM may complicate overclocking and you may end up running it at 1600mhz anyway, the benefits of frequencies on SB are absolutely miniscule. If you want smooth RAM performance then lower latency is far more important, grab a pair of 1600mhz CL7 1.6v Snipers and you'll be set.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-11-09 at 12:04 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Or he could get a Xigmatek Elysium. :3

But yeah for $90 more than the HAF X and 650D you really have to want it and its features.

I wonder if he already ordered it, he made this thread like 5 hours ago. =X

As Xuvial suggested, the MSI GTX 560 Lightning XTreme Edition is much better.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Case is cool.
    PSU is a bit too powerful for what you have, but it looks like you clear way for SLI. 80-90% of people intending to go SLI before building never do though.
    Motherboard is quite high-end. Do you need it to be? The features it offers over even the UD3-models are few and mostly voltage-related for normal users.
    CPU, sure you're going all out and you already bought it.
    I hope you salvage an old HDD from a previous build, because 128GB is too small. Ya, you do.
    No need for 1866 MHz memory; 1333 or 1600 MHz is more than enough.
    Video card looks good. 3GiB model eh?
    Sound card looks good.
    Speakers looks shoddy. I'd prefer if you bought a 2.0 system from an actual audio/hifi-store. You'd get more for your money, and you'd actually do the sound card SOME justice.
    Said he has 2 24" Monitors going into the setup so a bit more Vram is good. I personally wouldnt multi monitor on nvidia but to each his own!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    I personally wouldnt multi monitor on nvidia but to each his own!
    For 2 screens AMD and nVidia are identical, it's 3+ screens where the advantages of EyeFinity begin to show.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    For 2 screens AMD and nVidia are identical, it's 3+ screens where the advantages of EyeFinity begin to show.
    Nvidia cards can't run 3D acceleration spanned over two or three monitors, not in fullscreen mode and not windowed, unless you have two or more cards in SLI. AMD cards can span games on two screens with any 5k/6k series card.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    But why would anyone span a game across 2 screens : /

Thanks for the replies guys.

So I made the changes Deltrus and Xuvial suggested to the ram and GPU as it does look like a better buy with only a $35 difference. The 500R was just a choice on aethetics and the convenience of a better fit for the H100. I actually had the HAF-X in the cart ready to order before I took a stroll down to Microcenter and saw them right next to each other.

I would never go 3 screens so that nvidia or ati is a no brainer ( although ive only ever owned 1 nvidia video card, the 8800GT which was replaced by a 6870 almost a year ago)

My current system was pretty beefy when I built it back at the end of 2007 (when 2gb of DDR3 was $500 D: ... Still hurts to this day), TR ultra 120 cooler, q6600 g0 stepping i believe, and all this sits in the glory of the best case ive ever owned ... the CM Stacker 830 Evo ..... Most of it was overpriced and maybe unnecessary(overkill) but i didnt know better when trying to "future proof" myself.

Again, thanks for your time guys

---------- Post added 2011-11-09 at 11:49 AM ----------

Exactly .. Lol

I run two instances of wow side by side at almost ultra settings on my 6870 flawlesly even when doing 25s and having the 2nd account sitting in org.
    Last edited by LurkerMcTroll; 2011-11-09 at 05:00 PM.

I wanted to move all addons on one screen and have totally clear view of my character in one screen using viewport addon to crop the side monitor out. But that's not gonna happen with single Nvidia card. There are plenty of screenshots around of people having done that.

Because of this one missing feature I was seriously considering getting my next card from AMD when I upgrade from the current GTX460.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Said he has 2 24" Monitors going into the setup so a bit more Vram is good. I personally wouldnt multi monitor on nvidia but to each his own!
    Uhr. I never argued against it. But outside games like Crysis 2 and now recently BF3, 1GiB+ is fine for two screens, as you're unlikely to game on both. Being that the bezel would be in the immediate middle. Making it only one screen plus off-applications on the second.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are the fans on that case built into it with the BLUE LEDs?

I was looking to get an NZXT case but I really like how the case you picked looks here.
    http://imgur.com/HggNr

Deleted
    I don't know your intentions but I would have gone with a 2500k, other than that. excellent stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Navox View Post

I was looking to get an NZXT case but I really like how the case you picked looks here.
    That's a Corsair Carbide case, and the fans you see there are the ones that comes with the case.
    but I thought they were more white than blue? Eh.

The LEDs are actually white, a nice change from the usual red/blue lights almost every case comes with. It also has an on/off button for these lights and a 3 speed fan control switch ..... overall VERY happy with the case.

Also, this case is bigger than your average ATX case. You can see my old rig (CoolerMaster 830 Stacker FULL case) next to it in that same picture and the height diff is maybe 2 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Sast View Post
    I don't know your intentions but I would have gone with a 2500k, other than that. excellent stuff!
    Gaming of course

But I also do some 3D modeling/rendering which is why spent a little extra for the 2600k.

---------- Post added 2011-11-23 at 06:44 PM ----------

The LEDs are actually white, a nice change from the usual red/blue lights almost every case out there comes with. It also has an on/off button for the lights and a 3 speed fan control switch. VERY VERY happy with it.

Also, this case is bigger than your usual Mid-Tower case. If you notice on that same picture, my old rig in its FULL case glory (CoolerMaster Stacker 830 Evo) is maybe 2 inches taller than the 500R.