Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

No dedicated healers in GW2. Thoughts?

So if im right, i remember reading that GW 2 will not have any dedicated healers. Instead all classes will be given self heals. How much do you think this will effect PvP? I cant see the self heals doing much much less surviving spikes or focused pressure.

So what do you think about it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

thats the biggest problem i see with that game. i love to play healer but i think ill try it anyway since everything else seems to be awesome. and gw1 was great.

I think it's a good thing. It discourages stupid. If you die, you have nobody to blame but yourself. A skilled player will not have as many issues as a lesser skilled player, because they will be able to utilize good movement and proper dodging so that they will avoid more damage. A lesser skilled player will not be able to heal through the damage and I can see a lot of QQ about the heals not having shorter cooldowns.

I imagine that PvP in GW2 will be very skill-based and will rely on awareness and reflexes, just like in MOBA games. For example you will have a skill on a short cooldown that prevents the next source of damage dealt to you. Rather than using this on cooldown (like you would in WoW), in GW2 you will want to save it until you see your enemy casting his big nuke. In other words, your "heal" will be in the form of avoiding the enemy's damage by timing your spells or simply dodging by running left/right. I think this makes the game very interesting because when fighting another player, you will have to pay attention to his own attacks and defenses instead of just your own. Unexperienced players and WoW fanboys who are used to just spamming their own rotations while completely ignoring the enemy will be in for a huge surprise if they ever try GW2 and this pleases me to no end...

Feel free to PM me about any question you might have regarding LoL.
    Holy paladin

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by goneloco View Post
    thats the biggest problem i see with that game. i love to play healer but i think ill try it anyway since everything else seems to be awesome. and gw1 was great.
    The "Healing" aspect of the game is covered by "Support" and every profession can take some form of a "Support" role.

But its not a static role like Healing in Trinity Based MMO's, each of the "roles" in Guild Wars 2 are fluid, and each role is played by each player during the course of fights.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Deleted
    Combat is lot more about avoiding damage by dodging attacks, controlling enemy or using support skills like this to absorb damage. Lack of dedicated healer is best thing about gw2 pvp.

Deleted
    If you're worried about no healers in PvP, go watch some of the PvP videos.

You'll see that each profession is durable and has enough escape and defensive skills to warrant not needing any kind of healer, and that their one healing skills alone is enough to keep them up when use properly along with dodging.

Once you learn to use your heal, dodge and utility skills properly, you'll see that healers are just a waste of time. There isn't enough spike damage to burst you down in a few second, although some profession can do some amazing spikes, but still a heal and dodge fixes all your worrys.

10+ Year Old Account
    My thoughts:

Quote Originally Posted by leipuri View Post
    Combat is lot more about avoiding damage by dodging attacks, controlling enemy or using support skills like this to absorb damage. Lack of dedicated healer is best thing about gw2 pvp.
    This ^

My thoughts on no dedicated healers?

I think Charlie Sheen best said it.............

Everybody will get to contribute more for the overall success of the team.
    "Chaos boils in my veins."

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    My thoughts:

image snip
    Oh Mif... you have made my day.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Well since other people have done a lot of the explaining of how lack of dedicated healing will be implemented in GW2, all I have to say is it will be great x3.

Quote Originally Posted by goneloco View Post
    To me, thats the biggest plus of the game to be honest. No "tank/dps/healer" is awesome and much more fun. There won't be PvP problems like "rogue can't kill Pala healer cose its healing and armor is OP" etc
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2011-11-09 at 06:53 PM.

Deleted
    Sounds like a fantastic idea to me! Whack-a-healthbar is dull - I'd rather be looking at my whole environment and using whatever skills seem best at the time...

It really feels like skill will be rewarded...and also - that groups will be much more cohesive.

Let me try an example...

In the X-Men, Colossus has super strength...wolverine has the claws. In WoW, Colossus beats on something with his fists and wolverine beats on the same thing with his claws - they're standing next to each other but not interacting. In GW2 - Colossus picks wolverine up and throws him at the baddy...through some of Storms lightning so that he gets electrified on the way - this is much more cohesive team work...

You are much more responsible for your own safety/health in GW2. Based on many of the play throughs/tester feedback we have seen this seems to be as accurate as claimed.

Not a PVPer myself but it seems much better a setup then hoping at least 1 guy in the BG/WF/Arena has a heal on their bar instead of DPSing like the 99%.

Don't think I ever received a direct heal in a PUG BG/WF group in any MMO. Just saying.

10+ Year Old Account
    If some idiot wants to run around and not heal himself or take care of his friends, I can assure you he won't have them very long. It encourages communication and cooperation when in groups. Less carrying I believe.
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

I always ended up healing because it required the most situational awareness, on the spot decision making, really good understanding of ALL mechanics (PvP/PvE) and good healers can pretty much carry any BG/Arena/Dungeon/Raid group. My heal squad could enter a random BG and we could take most PuGs to victory. You can't say the same for dps/tanks.

So I think this change should be interesting because no longer is there a class that can basically carry people through anything. I think coordination and tactical understanding of the fight will become more prominent throughout the community and make it smarter. You can't depend on other people to carry you anymore. Generally people usually rise to the occasion. Those that can't won't probably play for too long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    You are much more responsible for your own safety/health in GW2. Based on many of the play throughs/tester feedback we have seen this seems to be as accurate as claimed.

Not a PVPer myself but it seems much better a setup then hoping at least 1 guy in the BG/WF/Arena has a heal on their bar instead of DPSing like the 99%.

Don't think I ever received a direct heal in a PUG BG/WF group in any MMO. Just saying.
    I'm betting those two words would scare most generic players in WoW if Blizzard did this method. :P

But an Engineer could technically go all healing/buffing, but why would you want to when you can whip out your grenades or bombs and help rofl some enemies?