Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

How many people are going to be playing SWTOR

Just as the title suggests, does anyone know or have a source on how many people have signed up or pre ordered this game?

10+ Year Old Account
    Pre orders only counting USA and not including anything sold from Origin, the only online way to buy digital versions) is approaching 900,000. There are nearly 2 million users in swtor.com.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Very nice im looking forward to the change, wow is to boring now 2 Mill sounds like a good number to get this game going

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    Pre orders only counting USA and not including anything sold from Origin, the only online way to buy digital versions) is approaching 900,000. There are nearly 2 million users in swtor.com.
    This does not mean it will retain its ~2m subscriptions for more than a year. Only time will tell with new games like swtor, sure there is always an initial hype, but how long will the players remain loyal to the game?

Quote Originally Posted by matters View Post
    how long will the players remain loyal to the game?
    The same as any other game - for as long as the game is fun to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I forsee alot more than just 2 million at the start. There are alot of people who simply just don't pre order a game, so we just have to wait and see.

10+ Year Old Account
    This does not mean it will retain its ~2m subscriptions for more than a year. Only time will tell with new games like swtor, sure there is always an initial hype, but how long will the players remain loyal to the game?
    I never said anything about that. I gave the numbers available and didn't include any guesses.

If you want a guess though, I guess this game hits 3-4 million at the 1 year mark an continues to rise.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

10+ Year Old Account
    As with any game. But you have to admit, with Bioware developing the game it has a pretty solid foundation. To be honest, this feels a lot like the beginning of WoW. You have a company that has gained reputation for developing great single player games and have decided to get into the MMO genre. They choose a huge title to create their product and have spent many years working on it. They both had previously successful games in the same universe as their MMORPG titles.

Games in the past have either been developed by new companies that lack the capital to compete or by known fail companies that have great ideas with poor execution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    I never said anything about that. I gave the numbers available and didn't include any guesses.

If you want a guess though, I guess this game hits 3-4 million at the 1 year mark an continues to rise.
    I woulda guessed 3 million at the start. :P

Well I would be one of them if I could my hands on SWTOR. Damn Australia, why do you hate us Bioware
    I think I will order it from Amazon and hopefully get it next year in January or something :S

Quote Originally Posted by Laxzal View Post
    Well I would be one of them if I could my hands on SWTOR. Damn Australia, why do you hate us Bioware
    I think I will order it from Amazon and hopefully get it next year in January or something :S
    Erm just go into an EB and pick it up?
    Last edited by billy0410; 2011-11-12 at 09:41 AM. Reason: derp

Quote Originally Posted by billy0410 View Post
    Erm just go into an EB and pick it up?
    Not releasing there yet.

If you order via Amazon you can choose express delivery for an extra $20 and get it delivered before christmas

Edit: On topic I'll definitely be playing!

Deleted
    I'm happy to say, SW:TOR has convinced me.

Gonna pre order the game later today ^^
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-11-13 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    I forsee alot more than just 2 million at the start. There are alot of people who simply just don't pre order a game, so we just have to wait and see.
    Exactly this. the around 2 mill. mark imo only covers the US market, then you have to add the rest of the world and the launch numbers could easely go as high as 4-5 mill.

Now the big questions are. Have BW created a long lasting game that will keep that launch number staying? And will they be able to make it grow by releasing frequent patches of a high enough quality? Only time can tell, but I pray that it will
    Last edited by Belial; 2011-11-12 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    Exactly this. the around 2 mill. mark imo only covers the US market, then you have to add the rest of the world and the launch numbers could easely go as high as 4-5 mill.

Now the big question is. Have BW created a long lasting game that will keep that launch number and will they be able to make it grow by releasing frequent patches of a high enough quality? Only time can tell, but I pray that it will
    Launching at 4 million still seems to be a very, very generous guess. I'm expecting perhaps half that in the first month, between those that are playing at release and those that get a look at it shortly after release and decide to buy.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends initially, I play MMOs for the social aspect and to duo leveling and any other fun stuff with my GF.

I worry SWToR will not be very social, as I keep hearing about leveling feeling like a single player game. Can any beta testers please shine a little light on this process? I highly doubt something a simple as grouping or if it's a social game are covered by the NDA.

Deleted
    The whole of europe and rusland usualy adds the same number as the USA in games wich makes sense, i personally won't play as i'm not into star wars whatsoever but all my wow buddys are going to play it.

For me the video's are just offputting, as a pvp player only, i had to simply cancel the idea of playing this game after seeing the pvp video's. But my friends will still play it so it comes down to opinions ofc.

The game will also simply be bought by alot of star wars fans who never even heard of MMO's before.
    Last edited by mmoc585b5f0b40; 2011-11-12 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Launching at 4 million still seems to be a very, very generous guess. I'm expecting perhaps half that in the first month, between those that are playing at release and those that get a look at it shortly after release and decide to buy.
    The thing is that the only pre-order numbers we have are from NA hard copies. And we are at the 800k mark now. If you incl. the digital pre-orders and that there is still ~5 weeks till launch you should be able to fairly estimate that the NA region will have around 2 mill. at launch. And as I wrote, then add the rest of the world to that number. I'm predicting a launch number of between 4 to 5 mill.

I don't think 2 million is even close to the real figure. I mean, I live in a country where maybe 1 out of 500 people know what an mmorpg is or wow for that matter, but I know at least 15 people signing up for swtor. Even one dude I've never seen playing any videogames, even if he's using the comp like 24/7.

Dr. Evil: Why make a trillion when we could make... billions?