Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brettshock View Post
    Didn't Blizzcon happen during Third Quarter? If not, then I have no idea how Blizzard does quarters, and I feel stupid. If that's true, ignore that first sentence <3
    The last quarter ended in September, so MoP had nothing to do with the drop of asian subscribers.
    FFXIV: Rintha Elenah | WoW: Rinth | GW2: Reno Turan

Does this sound like a "no one understands Asian culture except me" post to anyone else?
    - Dreams. What are dreams? Dreams are nothing, my brother.
    - Dreams are nothing, sister? Without dreams, there could be no despair.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frunken View Post
    Not even a little.
    Exactly. Why does race matter when your buddy is in love with a girl? Be happy for him, dammit D:<

Quote Originally Posted by floramon View Post
    Activision Blizzard latest earning call revealed that World of Warcraft lost another 800,000 subscribers last quarter, following the loss of 300k subscribers announced last quarter and 600k loss from the quarter before that. This brings us to 1.7 million subscribers lost in the last 3 quarters. Some things they made note of on the call:

Most of the subscriptions were lost in China.

Since they lost many China players, they try to attract them back to WoW, that's why MoP has strong Asian theme. They assumed China (Asia) players liked Pokemon and Panda.

I agree with OP, Bliz did it too fast and too aggressive. Now Bliz is forcing those who don't like Asian theme (and Pokemon) to either accept it or leave the game.

I hope Bliz could introduce Asian theme slowly and little by little, not in this way. For example, they can make Panda a NPC, let players explore their land and enjoy the Asian culture, then make Panda a playable character in next expansion.

WoW is a Western game, Asian theme does not fit it.
    Thank you. That's the point - the whole Pokemon association. That's what Westerner think when they see MoP, and WHY they associate Pokemon with WoW? It's out of scope of this discussion, but that's exactly what's happening.

Some of you like anime, hentai, and that's totally cool. But those asian-cartoons are not enjoyed by the majority of westerners. They are still very much a fringe thing.

Yes the Asian theme needs to be trickled in, and not overbearing with what they're doing with MoP. It needs to stay in the background, something you could venture to, but not something that's so in your face.

10+ Year Old Account
    The TRUE unspoken reason for the Panda hate in MoP

Because some people don't like it, and that's their opinion and they have a right to not like it.

The TRUE unspoken reason for the Panda love in MoP.

Because some people like it, and that's their opinion and they have a right to like it.

The TRUE unspoken reason for the Panda indifference in MoP.

Because some people don't care about, and that's their opinion and they have a right to not care about it.

/thread
    /90% of the threads on "Mists of Pandaria - General Discussions"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miley View Post
    Taurens aside, every playable race is a human-like race that is in any tolkienesque game. Draenei are closer to aliens and worgen (werewolves) are already accepted as human-like characters. Pandareian race actually is little panda animals which has no place in this game.
    So wait, aliens fit in better to a Lord of the Rings style world more then a culture that could of existed in a more secluded and hidden area of Middle Earth?

I don't think ppl hate MoP, I think ppl just cannot accept it. No doubt many ppl wanted to play as a Panda, but not an expansion centered with Panda and Digimon.

Funny you should mention Indiana Jones in relevance with Uldum (hence,Raiders of the Lost Arc) because in that one,the only "unknown" evil "foreign" culture Dr.Jones dealt with as a white man where the Nazis.

And last time I checked the Seven Samurai are considered a classic masterpiece in the West,as well as the East.And that's way older than Indiana Jones.So your whole analysis about western audiences being alienated to exposure to foreign cultures? Yeah,it's about 50 years late.Cool story tho.

Not to mention the fact that you consider that the forum trolls crying about MoP are able to comprehent what a cultural divide is.That's a laugh.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is highly inaccurate. There is a literary term we use in the English world known as "orientalism" and it is basically a term which states that Caucasians, or in general large groups of culturally similar people, have a fascination with the exotic, the foreign.

This term actually originated from the British's interest in China way back in Colonial days. Your idea that Caucasians are influenced by orientalism is every aspect of the game (that is, the Inuit Tuskaar, the Aboriginal Tauren, the Barbarous Orcs, the Japanese/Roman Night Elves, the Ancient African Trolls, etc.) except, suddenly, in the unique case of Pandas is just completely ludicrous.

In addition, I think the WoW community has degraded far enough and become bold enough to simply say when they don't like something because of a reason. We're not so deep as to hide our distastes, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Bane Falcon View Post
    You're completely right. As a white American who plays video games for most of the day, I can't think of a single person who I've ever encountered online who enjoys samurai, anime, or anything more asian than shooting Charlie out of his tree. Your rant is completely accurate and not the least bit fueled by personal bias whatsoever.
    could not have been said any better. OP be mad... just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Brettshock View Post
    Exactly. Why does race matter when your buddy is in love with a girl? Be happy for him, dammit D:<
    Hey - I'm totally cool with it too. The only point I'm trying to drive home here is, inter-racial marriages are slowly coming into play...but it still was something is gradual, not a sudden surge by any stretch.

If you ease something in, it's a lot simpler for the masses to see, accept, and so on. If you suddenly shove something at someone without giving them time to mull it over, you get what we're seeing with the MoP hate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, so, if OP is correct, everyone should hate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_the_West

And by that logic, everyone should hate Dragonball... Yep, still love Dragonball.

Quote Originally Posted by floramon View Post
    I don't think ppl hate MoP, I think ppl just cannot accept it. No doubt many ppl wanted to play as a Panda, but not an expansion centered with Panda and Digimon.
    yeah that's the thing, the whole mini-pet thing is something that's totally optional - you don't even have to participate in it.

Quote Originally Posted by D_K_night View Post
    Thank you. That's the point - the whole Pokemon association. That's what Westerner think when they see MoP, and WHY they associate Pokemon with WoW? It's out of scope of this discussion, but that's exactly what's happening.

Some of you like anime, hentai, and that's totally cool. But those asian-cartoons are not enjoyed by the majority of westerners. They are still very much a fringe thing.

Yes the Asian theme needs to be trickled in, and not overbearing with what they're doing with MoP. It needs to stay in the background, something you could venture to, but not something that's so in your face.
    Trickled in? Say... starting back in Warcraft III, and having Asian-themed items throughout the game over the past few years?

Hrm... Just wondering, is "The King and I" considered to just be an Asian playing a lesser role and speaking badly while scoring a Western White chick? And as for anime being a fringe-background thing, you're *completely right*, yet again. Why, I can't think of a single kid who ever watched or played Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh or Digimon while growing up. I can't ever recall any of those having a movie in theaters that practically sold out. Or, lemme guess... that's only because people went to see them to watch a caucasian hero rule the day with asian stereotype sidekicks.
    "It was the product of a mind so twisted, it was actually sprained." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nurabsal View Post
    on an aside, i think Bane Falcon might be my hero
    2-2-2012. We shall always remember the day where Paladins ascended through the Light to become GODS.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is entertaining.

Can you do the "national minorities play orcs, draenei and nelves because it makes them feel better about their non-white skin color IRL"?

Or the more classical "insecure aggressive people play Horde"?

That one always makes me chuckle.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey - I'm totally cool with it too. The only point I'm trying to drive home here is, inter-racial marriages are slowly coming into play...but it still was something is gradual, not a sudden surge by any stretch.

If you ease something in, it's a lot simpler for the masses to see, accept, and so on. If you suddenly shove something at someone without giving them time to mull it over, you get what we're seeing with the MoP hate.
    Slowly come into play? You need to do some reading... Like the book we read freshman year of high school! http://www.amazon.com/Color-Water-Bl.../dp/1573225789

Oh right. Thanks for clearing that up. I think you're 100% right, they should perhaps ease it in with something like the Inuit Tuskaar, the Aboriginal Tauren, the Barbarous Orcs, the Japanese/Roman Night Elves, the Ancient African Trolls, etc. first. Once they did all that, then maybe all those Caucasians who play, and who are apparently the only relevant players, will be okay with pandas.

I think you're definitely right. I'm incredibly uncomfortable with asians. That's why I, and my other white gamer friends, haven't spent endless hours playing japanese games like final fantasy.

In all fairness and with a bit less sarcasm, I do do some incredibly inappropriate things to my asian girlfriend on a regular basis.

10+ Year Old Account
    MoP reminds me of anime, which is something I despise. I bet the sets are going to be asian styled as well, and seeing ninjas, samurai and stuff like that would make me go insane. I have nothing against the asian people, I respect but dislike their culture. I just don't want to play a game that looks so... animeish.
    "I have taught you many ways to kill a mortal, Kratos. Flesh that burns, bones that break. But to break a man's spirit is to truly destroy him!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltronn
    GIRL BETTER BE QUIET MAKIN MA SAMMICH... ¬.¬

Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    This is highly inaccurate. There is a literary term we use in the English world known as "orientalism" and it is basically a term which states that Caucasians, or in general large groups of culturally similar people, have a fascination with the exotic, the foreign.

This term actually originated from the British's interest in China way back in Colonial days. Your idea that Caucasians are influenced by orientalism is every aspect of the game (that is, the Inuit Tuskaar, the Aboriginal Tauren, the Barbarous Orcs, the Japanese/Roman Night Elves, the Ancient African Trolls, etc.) except, suddenly, in the unique case of Pandas is just completely ludicrous.

In addition, I think the WoW community has degraded far enough and become bold enough to simply say when they don't like something because of a reason. We're not so deep as to hide our distastes, obviously.
    Except the night elves don't look asian. The architecture of their capital city doesn't look japanese at all. compare that against the pandarien where their entire starting zone, town, and everything screams chinese.

---------- Post added 2011-11-09 at 11:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Krunks View Post
    MoP reminds me of anime, which is something I despise. I bet the sets are going to be asian styled as well, and seeing ninjas, samurai and stuff like that would make me go insane. I have nothing against the asian people, I respect but dislike their culture. I just don't want to play a game that looks so... animeish.
    Listen to this man.

Bliz tried to attract more Asian players, it's too early to judge if they failed or not. (But since there are more 'nay' than 'yay', I think they failed)