10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium

Mists of Pandaria Preview Trailer

I have just been following for some WEIRD reason the likes and dislikes on the Official World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Preview Trailer, and it actually started out like most expected-but now has been making me think just like a lot have. [As of 11/09/2011 - 9 PM CST: 21,488 likes, 20,186 dislikes]

First off I could give a sh1t less, Panda, FailFailWeaksauce, I don't give a damn what the xpac has in it, or what its called at this point-I just want NEW content, and something NEW to bite my tauren teeth into.

But back on topic, I know most are going to say this:

1) yeah someone mentioned this in a reply before (yeah the post was quickly closed, and all it was all just QQ)
    2) yeah its youtube whatever (people just downrate everything, sure, just look at the world of warcraft wall since it was announced..)

I really want Wow to continue for everyone else, and I hope the closer we get to the xpac, the more uuber it gets. I have to say though, the Pandarian theme really made a lot of people that are more adult like, turned off on the fact that it feels "young" - yeah, I know even you, yes YOU who love Panda's and think they are the most vicious things to ever walk the planet still thought to yourself when you FIRST heard of Pandaria, you thought to yourself... no way...-and made your decision to be 100% against it or 100% for it, even though deep down you're most likely like me: RIGHT IN THE FREAKEN MIDDLE LEANING TOWARDS WANTING WOW TO SUCCEED.

Stay Classy

I like how people use youtube likes/dislikes as an indicator of anything.

Unless I missed the part where only people who play WoW are allowed to like/dislike videos on youtube. It couldn't be, say, a bunch of fans of Everquest, Rift, SW:TOR or ANYONE IN THE FUCKING WORLD clicking a button just because they can.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    I like how people use youtube likes/dislikes as an indicator of anything.

Unless I missed the part where only people who play WoW are allowed to like/dislike videos on youtube. It couldn't be, say, a bunch of fans of Everquest, Rift, SW:TOR or ANYONE IN THE FUCKING WORLD clicking a button just because they can.
    Well, Blizzard themselves apparently finds Youtube stats very important. During their investor call they told the investors that the MoP Youtube trailer had over three million hits - implying that the youtube stats show a great importance to the future of their investments and MoP.

Of course they seem to carefully omit the like/dislike disparity. :P

So, to use your phrase - that "three million viewers" that Blizzard touted to their investors could've been a bunch of EQ/Rift/Tor or ANYONE IN THE F*ING WORLD clicking a button because they can". :P

also, EQ and GW has been around a while, as were a ton of other MMOs... they all ignored the three previous expansion trailers and then all decided to gang up en-masse on MoP for some unfathomable reason?
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2011-11-10 at 03:13 AM.

"people that are more adult like"

/sigh

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    also, EQ and GW has been around a while, as were a ton of other MMOs... they all ignored the three previous expansion trailers and then all decided to gang up en-masse on MoP for some unfathomable reason?
    The only expansion trailer that would be relevant to the situation would be Cataclysm's (but it didn't even get 600k views), seeing as how the youtube channel didn't exist at the time of any of the others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok what I honestly don't get this and maybe this is the wrong thread I dunno . Blizzard had to change WRATH for china because of skulls or some shit. It took them a long time to even release it over there like a year or so after it was launched in the US. I forget how long . However they got the Cata launch not far off from the US. Now they are going to fk with having the same release type issue akin to Wrath with the MOP.They ARE considered a national treasure there , not sure how getting owned in pvp as a panda will go over. Now most of the subs are lost from China........ it's just not making any sense. Why would they then make a panda expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The only expansion trailer that would be relevant to the situation would be Cataclysm's (but it didn't even get 600k views), seeing as how the youtube channel didn't exist at the time of any of the others.
    Well then, riddle me this, why haven't the Rift or ToR trailers get massive "dislikes" as well?

And don't you DARE suggest that more jackass players are going to play Rift/ToR... Go into Rift and suggest that in trade and you'll make the servers laugh politely at you. They actually take PRIDE in the fact that they don't have the "jackass" problems that WoW does because the jackasses stayed in WoW while casual friendly gamers went elsewhere.

Head to ToR's main forum site... TONS of people are logging into that site flaming them saying "ToR is gonna go down! WoW is unstoppable! you'll be back!"

Point is, jackasses exist on both sides of the fence... and to use many people's arguments on these forums - 10 million IS a bigger number than 2 million. Therefore the jackass ratio should be just as much - if not WAY larger - on WoW's side of the fence! ^_^

Well then, riddle me this, why haven't the Rift or ToR trailers get massive "dislikes" as well?
    Because most of us don't give a damn about either of them. So we don't watch the videos.

And don't you DARE suggest that more jackass players are going to play Rift/ToR... Go into Rift and suggest that in trade and you'll make the servers laugh politely at you. They actually take PRIDE in the fact that they don't have the "jackass" problems that WoW does because the jackasses stayed in WoW while casual friendly gamers went elsewhere.
    Evidence on these forums suggest otherwise. The fact you guys keep coming onto WoW forums to trash talk is screams "I'M A MASSIVE JACKASS LOL!"

I'm sure there's a similar ratio of nice/normal/idiot players for all these games. Forums just attract the massive morons, and hense give the impression there's more of them then there really are.

Really, if you're trying to give the image that non-WoW players are more mature then you're really not going about it the right way.

Oh, and don't try and say what people can or can't say. You're free to disagree and debate, not dictate orders.

Edit: Also, I don't play games to feel like an adult. The hints are in the words - game and play. Those are childish words from the getgo. And sorry, but if you think that Pandarians are childish compared to a fantasy world of Elves, Dwarves, Goblins, Gnomes, etc then you really do need to take a look at what the world 'childish' means.

And besides, who says childish things are bad? Usually people who are still clinging onto the last dregs of their own childhood, and feel resentful that its soon to be gone!
    Last edited by Durandro; 2011-11-10 at 03:32 AM.

You do realize that my original post had a part in it that was all caps, right? That usually denotes the more important part of the statement.
    And if you dare mention you also play WoW in the trade chat of games you're pissed out of chat. Hell, you don't even have to mention it. Almost every single game that goes free to play that I've tried the chat in the common areas is filled with veteran players complaining about the influx of "kiddies" and "baddies" from WoW.
    Last edited by unholytestament; 2011-11-10 at 03:32 AM.

I think it's better that the people who don't like the next expac leave anyway. They are probably the sticks in the mud you get sometimes in the LFD tool

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    "people that are more adult like"

/sigh
    Well I didn't want to sound like an A$$ saying, that the crowd that likes or dislikes is actually OLDER or YOUNGER. I just figured it fit for the time being.

I guess I shouldn't have made the post, I fully understand that you know, all of the other wow xpac videos that have been on there look NOTHING like this for like/dislike, but all im saying it, it's SOMETHING to think about... and btw, IM IN THE MIDDLE. I want WOW to continue being badass, I may not FULLY agree with the direction, regardless imo now that SO many of my RL friends have quit and aren't looking back etc, I AM going to play Mists, and I KNOW that it will be badass because I know Blizzard is going to be shining when they do it, it just totally bites that they are putting SOOOO much into the PANDA theme when they I KNOW FOR A FACT did it to be on the fench. *breathes*

10+ Year Old Account
    the video did kinda suck......

Personally, I think the youtube numbers are meaningless simply because people typically only take time out of their daily lives to complain. Look at the WoW forums; you're not going to see a whole lot of people putting the effort into signing in and writing a post about how satisfied they are. Therefore, I can't see the people that think "Hey, this looks like it could be good" signing into Youtube to click a simple button.

Quote Originally Posted by An_Unoriginal_Name View Post
    Personally, I think the youtube numbers are meaningless simply because people typically only take time out of their daily lives to complain. Look at the WoW forums; you're not going to see a whole lot of people putting the effort into signing in and writing a post about how satisfied they are. Therefore, I can't see the people that think "Hey, this looks like it could be good" signing into Youtube to click a simple button.
    You would actually be surprised how many players actually make positive posts thanking the devs. Definetly not as many as the negative, but still - quite a few.

I think most of the negative posters are banned, and tend to find other places to vent - such as here. :P

Also, apparently Blizz finds the Youtube numbers important enough to quote the viewing statistics for MoP in the shareholders meeting. :P

Deleted
    Why did they get rid of the five-star rating system again?

Quote Originally Posted by Thaede View Post
    Why did they get rid of the five-star rating system again?
    A green/red bar for like/dislike is much better/accurate way of determining if something is good or not.

When I skim through TV show clips... if I see a bar that's 90% red, I immediately skip it as I know it's probably either a) recorded in an unwatchable mess, b) a still shot with some horrible music, or c) the clip as part of a horrible horrible music video to music that doesn't match in any way/shape/form to the content in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist;14154981[B
    Pandarian theme really made a lot of people that are more adult like, turned off on the fact that it feels "young" - yeah, I know even you, yes YOU who love Panda's and think they are the most vicious things to ever walk the planet still thought to yourself when you FIRST heard of Pandaria, you thought to yourself... no way...-and made your decision to be 100% against it or 100% for it[/B], even though deep down you're most likely like me: RIGHT IN THE FREAKEN MIDDLE LEANING TOWARDS WANTING WOW TO SUCCEED.
    First and foremost: P-A-N-D-A-R-E-N. There is no "I" in the word.

Second: Thank you for kindly and oh so subtly pointing out my entire thought process on Mists of Pandaria. Clearly, there is no other response that anyone could've come up with when they first heard news that MoP was announced, or that Pandaren were being released, along with the Monk class which has a spec based around drinking. Obviously, there is not a single "adult like" person out there who reminisced back to their Warcraft III days, who were excited about being able to play the race and class of Chen Stormstout. No, the issue was entirely that Pandas are the most vicious things to ever walk the planet, and through my adult-like feelings that it was too "young", I immediately made my decision to be 100% against it or 100% for it.
    "It was the product of a mind so twisted, it was actually sprained." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nurabsal View Post
    on an aside, i think Bane Falcon might be my hero
    2-2-2012. We shall always remember the day where Paladins ascended through the Light to become GODS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Green and red bars do not effect how much I personally enjoy a game.

Youtube videos don't count as crap. The only thing to care about would be if every player, the next time they logged in, got a survey to pop up in their face. And besides, we haven't played the game yet. People is just WHOOOOAAAA PAAAANDAAAAS.

Also, adults don't have a problem with pandas. If anyone, it's those late-teens and start of the 20's.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Also, adults don't have a problem with pandas. If anyone, it's those late-teens and start of the 20's.
    Clearly, you are incorrect. After all, the OP used bold words, which means that everything he says is completely accurate, researched, and should be entirely trusted.
    "It was the product of a mind so twisted, it was actually sprained." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nurabsal View Post
    on an aside, i think Bane Falcon might be my hero
    2-2-2012. We shall always remember the day where Paladins ascended through the Light to become GODS.