Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Fiance wants a new work/personal laptop

Hello, I will try and keep this short seeing as she doesn't give me much to go on

My fiance wants a new laptop that she can use for work(nothing fancy) and for personal use( music/pictures)

She didn't set a dollar limit, but obviously I would rather have a cheaper quality product.

Wants:
    She wants it to be fast so I am assuming i5+
    She wants it to be able to hold a LOT of pictures and Music

That is pretty much all I have to go on so I would appreciate any help I can get.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd go with one of the ones Hapylol linked, and just for reference, you don't need an i5 if all you're going to be using the computer for is work/music/pictures tbh.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    2 quick questions then:
    Appreciate the quick response Culadin. Which would you recommend for her for personal use? Would the more expensive one be more than what she needs?

Zibi,
    What would you recommend in terms of speed if you are saying i5 is too much?

Thanks for the feedback.

Mobile i3 is plenty fast already. I would look into sacrificing hard disk space (150-250 gb should be plenty), RAM (3-4gb is enough), processing power (i3 is good) to get a dedicated GFX (just a cheap one) and get a nice screen and speakers. A nice screen + speakers will have a larger impact on usage than raw processing power. On the other hand, having a dedicated GFX does make a difference for high resolution videos like youtube at 1080p while maximized.

I'm not sure what which companies currently sell the laptops with the best displays so you will have to go to a store to check it out. Try to get a glossy type LCD. Higher resolution is better (up to about 1680x1050).

Does your fiance like 15" monitors? My sisters tend to prefer the smaller 13" laptops.
    Last edited by yurano; 2011-11-10 at 07:07 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Personally I would go with the $599.99 laptop I linked. It would be more than enough processor wise to run Microsoft Office, iTunes, and Photoshop easily. It also includes a 500GB hard drive which should be more than enough but if it isn't there is always the external option.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the help, that should be all I need!