Thread: Reccomendations

Reccomendations

I need a Motherboard to go with this processor.

I was looking at this Motherboard.

Any suggestions? Really need the help, new at this stuff for the most part.

Edit: Fixed, thanks for the heads up.
    Last edited by Juno86; 2011-11-10 at 08:30 AM.

Deleted
    Moved to "Computer Build Help".

Yes, they would work together. However, I'd advise you to link your whole intended build (parts you intend to buy + parts you have), what you plan to use it for and what kind of budget you are on. It will make it a lot easier for us to assist you.

Unfortunately, there is no reason to go with an i7 2600k if all you do is gaming as games aren't designed to make use of the 4 extra virtual cores of the 2600k.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Moved to "Computer Build Help".

Yes, they would work together. However, I'd advise you to link your whole intended build (parts you intend to buy + parts you have), what you plan to use it for and what kind of budget you are on. It will make it a lot easier for us to assist you.

Unfortunately, there is no reason to go with an i7 2600k if all you do is gaming as games aren't designed to make use of the 4 extra virtual cores of the 2600k.
    Good too know, but I'm looking for something that is gonna last me awhile, so going for the extra power isn't an issue right now if it saves in the long run. I'm not really on a budget right now, or I should say money isn't a huge issue right now. I'm just really looking at upgrading my current Motherboard + Processor and wanted to upgrade in one big leap if possible. I just finished upgrading the Video Card + RAM, so I figured it was time for the Motherboard and Processor to be upgraded.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Juno86 View Post
    Good too know, but I'm looking for something that is gonna last me awhile, so going for the extra power isn't an issue right now if it saves in the long run.
    There is not much "extra power" between the i5 2500k and the i7 2600k however. The 2600k performs better in multi threaded applications due to HT technology; it is designed to distribute the power much more efficiently. Think of it as 4 machines working at 100% speed versus 8 machines working at 50% speed to produce a product that needs 8 parts. The 4 machines (the i5 2500k) needs to swap out mechanics to make the 2nd 4 parts while the 8 machines (i7 2600k) can just keep on going making the product. Games however, need "2 parts" basically, and higher-end needs up to "4 parts" maximum. The CPU will be obsolete by the time games start standardize "8-core" usage.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/t...2100-tested/17
    Compared to:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/t...2100-tested/20

Only in multi-threaded applications that use more than 4 cores does the 2600k excel. In (for example) games, they are equal.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-11-10 at 10:53 AM.

Okay, I see what your saying now, so essentially the better and more economic buy would be the i5-2500. Good to know, is there a mobo you could recommend to me that would go with it perfectly? And yea, this computer is gonna be strictly for gaming.