Having horrible connection problems

Hi, today for some reason my wireless network connection has become horrible. Yesterday I was clocking 18-22mbps on speedtest. Today, I'm getting 1-2. My router is a Netgear 600n dual band router, and the network adapter in this PC is a rosewill RNX-N180PCe. It was working fine yesterday, albeit not as fast as I'd have liked it to be. Today, It is virtually unusable. I can't even get a youtube video to load properly because it's so slow.

I just downloaded and installed their latest drivers / software. Didn't change. Tried power-cycling the network, didn't change. And It worked fine yesterday. Why would it suddenly become like this?

As a note, my laptop, sitting right next to the problem computer, is connected to the same network and clocking 22 mbps on speedtest.net.... So it's conceivably not the network.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Could just be a bad network adapter. Disable the wireless adapter in your laptop and install the Rosewill network adapter in it. Test the Rosewill network adapter on the laptop, if you find the issue persists then you know its the adapter. If it doesn't then we know its something in your PC.

Hmm.. I don't think I can do that. It's a PCIe network adapter in my Desktop. But it very well could be the card, I just can't think of any other way to test it since I don't have any other desktops in the house.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejaye View Post
    Hmm.. I don't think I can do that. It's a PCIe network adapter in my Desktop. But it very well could be the card, I just can't think of any other way to test it since I don't have any other desktops in the house.
    If your using a PCIe network adapter does the MB have one built in? Can you test on that?

(I realise that if your using a PCIe adapter chances are no... but worth a shot ;-) )

Na, that would be too easy lol. No I bought this one when I got the computer (which is brand new), as my old adapter in my last desktop was just a plan PCI, and this MB only has PCIe. It is a PCIe 1x. Now it is in one of my PCIe 16x slots (the PCIe1x is blocked by the video card) but I was told that was compatible, right? And it worked fine up until now. Seeing as Skyrim is coming out tonight I really so no other option at this point other than to buy some random USB adapter to download it until I get this one working again.. ><

Did you check the logs from the router? If the logs look okay, you can always set the desktop to #1 priority and thus any time you are surfing the internet on the desktop, you would get the most bandwidth over any other computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Adorada View Post
    Did you check the logs from the router? If the logs look okay, you can always set the desktop to #1 priority and thus any time you are surfing the internet on the desktop, you would get the most bandwidth over any other computer.
    Right now the desktop is already set to be first, since that's my gaming machine. I don't think that's the issue though, as I'm the only one with router settings access and nothing else is really taking up any bandwidth, not enough to cause a problem like this anyway. After reading through some things, the only thing I can really think of is that the adapter is defective as all the software settings that I'd know to check are all good. I have even untilstalled and reinstalled the adpter / drivers and no luck.

Anyway, thanks for the help, I was just hoping that someone else would have some sort of epiphany for a fix. I have to go to work and so wont' be able to work on it anymore, and so if I want to ensure my ability to download skyrim when I get home I'll have no choice but to buy a new USB adapter *shudder*.. USB.. I hate USB wifi adapters. Oh well, I'll probably just RMA the rosewill back to newegg and get a switch out and see if that works any better... At least that one was only 24 bucks.