Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Can Shadow Priests solo Molten Meteor(s) on Alysrazor?

Hi!

Today me & my guild were doing Alysrazor heroic 10 man without our hunter who usually is soloing the Molten Meteor(s) summoned by the Herald of the Burning End.

I figured having our shadow priest who has 383 itemlevel and good knowledge of the fight on them would be enough but was proven wrong. He kept telling me it was impossible and RNG-based if they died or not.

He tells me he uses devouring plague followed by spamming Mind Spike (and possibly mind blast but I really am clueless.)

So I am asking for advice. Can SP's handle the Meteor(s) themselves? Is he doing something wrong? Should I feel bad for putting him on them in the first place?

Any help is welcome from people who've either done it or has knowledge of it.

Meteor has what, 150k? Mind Spike crits around 30k, so it'd take 5 casts to drop it (SP crit is really low btw). Not to mention that he has no slow. Good luck killing one. Maybe with a 3 Orbs Mind Blast crit, but we all know that's not gonna happen.

Why would you want a Shadow Priest there anyway? They are one of the best classes to send flying.

15+ Year Old Account
    What ^ that guy said. You want your SP to fly. Put any other ranged on meteors, literally any ranged can kill them.

WarcraftPriests.com - The Shadowlands Priest Community Website

Join over 100,000 Priests on our partnered Discord server: Warcraft Priests

Mind Spike removes dots, so that doesn't even make any sense. He could try getting all 3 dots up, mind blast and then spam mind flay for the slow, but the time it takes to apply all 3 dots might be too much.

with slow no probs - without it can be hard if you don´t have orbs or critluck
    but as the other said send the sp flying and let another range take the meteor unless you have a really good firemage
    Last edited by Ravyna; 2011-11-10 at 11:04 PM.
    Thanks for that awesome signature i4ni

http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/characte...ck/Ravy/simple

im pretty sure a SP should solo one easy if needed, as a boomkin i can kill one one 10 man in 3-4 gcds.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

10+ Year Old Account
    Our SP solo's em easy, he saves a MB for it and does a few Flays and it's down.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...c%C3%A9/simple
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Silence/simple
    Sergeant of the Master Sergeants, Most Important Person of Extreme Sergeants, To The MAX!

as boomkin you can palce 3 shrooms before it spawns and have a slow and a decent burst when doing so-> cant compare that to a sp
    Last edited by Ravyna; 2011-11-10 at 11:04 PM.
    Thanks for that awesome signature i4ni

http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/characte...ck/Ravy/simple

15+ Year Old Account
    He's doing things wrong, and he's partially correct. First of all - can shadowpriests solo meteors? I can - but that doesn't mean that shadowpriests should.

Casting DP then mind spike is very likely wrong - he could be doing DP while moving into position - but Mind Spike wipes all dots on the target which means its only the initial damage hitting - he should be in position before the meteor hits since the position is very predictable. He should be Mind Blasting on cooldown - and if he were seriously having difficulty - he should be floating 3 orbs before the meteor comes down so his first Mind Blast is especcially big.

With that said, shadowpriests have no snare - meaning he has half the time a class with a snare has to do the same damage - that's why shadow is very RNG dependent - we need crits or cooldowns or great gear to make it happen - where as a mage or hunter or boomkin or dk or just about anything else has it guarenteed everytime. If you do keep using a spriest to do meteors, you should have another class at the very least snare the meteor or help the priest.

A question for you though, what class do you have in the air? Unless you have another shadowpriest in your 10m, it should be your spriest - we're the highest dps up there except for Fire Mages who cheat by spreading combustion to trash during the burn phase - in terms of actually useful dps on the boss fight, shadow is best. I'm guessing you guys have a fire mage in the air - put the mage on the ground as arcane (slow, no ramp up for meteors, and focus magic for spriest) and put the shadowpriest in the air IMO - unless his dps really sucks - but if that's the case you should stick him on adds or multi-dotting and find someone who can snare to do the meteors.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Yes you can as a shadowpriest no RNG about it.. H3e can do it 2 ways Mindspike 3 times then instant cast MB WITH crit should kill it. 2nd way is put up VT and SWP as its falling down hit whatever then spam Mind flay.. Both ways will kill it in plenty of time.
    Xenodrake (Shadowpriest) <Infallible>US 7th (T13) US 12th (T12) US 7th (T11)

Anticipation of Death is worse then Death itself.

Deleted
    Yeah we can, but we're not the best. You'll usually have to get a couple of crits and usually will need to save up a couple of Shadow Orbs for it. He definitely shouldn't be using Devouring Plague on the Meteors, just 3xMind Spike, followed by an instant Crit Mind Blast and some Shadow Word Deaths if needed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SkillOverKill View Post
    A question for you though, what class do you have in the air?
    The entire reason the SP was down was because I (feral druid tank) brought my mage for double fire mage combustion. His dps is usually the best on the other bosses.

Thanks everybody for the feedback.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, on our first Alys 10HC kill, I was decently close to the fire mage in terms of damage done, so don't think your alt fire mage would be needed. Just get both the other mage and the SP flying.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

We never used a fire mage for Alysrazor at all. Even when we have a mage he usually plays arcane and stays on the ground (and does some interrupting from time to time). You shouldn't need to bring an alt just to have more fire mages. If your SP does good DPS on other bosses he should fly on Alysrazor. Having him on the meteors is possible but suboptimal both because almost everyone else could do better on meteors and because he would be one of the best flying.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullblod View Post
    The entire reason the SP was down was because I (feral druid tank) brought my mage for double fire mage combustion. His dps is usually the best on the other bosses.

Thanks everybody for the feedback.
    Right, so put shadow/mage in the air and the second mage on the ground - shadow is better than fire in the air

Quote Originally Posted by SkillOverKill View Post
    Right, so put shadow/mage in the air and the second mage on the ground - shadow is better than fire in the air
    Not if you have atleast one burnphase and frankly, I think every guild have.

Stood in the Fire PromiscuousPenguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenodrake View Post
    Yes you can as a shadowpriest no RNG about it.. H3e can do it 2 ways Mindspike 3 times then instant cast MB WITH crit should kill it. 2nd way is put up VT and SWP as its falling down hit whatever then spam Mind flay.. Both ways will kill it in plenty of time.
    Can you hit it on its way down? I thought you had to wait until it lands?

Quote Originally Posted by eErike View Post
    Oh because damage on burnout adds is THAT important. Or not.

Like someone else said, you have plenty of time to kill it with 3MS+1MB (+SWD if not dead). Just target as soon as you can. Stock up on orbs to be safe (but not needed at all).
    Last edited by FieryBull; 2011-11-14 at 04:00 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eErike View Post
    No. Fire dps is artificially inflated on Alysrazor by cleaving irrelevant adds with a massively buffed Combustion - if you compare effective dps between shadow and fire, shadow is higher by like 15% at least - and if you look at the world top fire parses - they are all faked by dragging in extra adds just to further artificially inflate the benefit of the massive Combustion during burn phase. Don't believe the mage propaganda.