Page 26 of 60 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Only 4 hours, since that's about as much sleep as I got. However I'm going to run another at 4.5 tonight and see how it goes. Voltage makes me sad. Yet as I type this, it says 1.208, or 1.320. >.>

Name: Chazus
    Processor: i5-3570K
    Clock: 4.4ghz
    Voltage: 1.336v
    Cooler: EVO 212
    Screenshot LINK: http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/s...psa2e0fbb6.jpg
    Valid CPU-Z link: http://valid.canardpc.com/2774101
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-04-18 at 02:35 PM. Reason: lol '3470K'
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Folks, if you're not going to follow the guidelines setup in the OP, there's very little reason to post in this thread at all.
    Please don't waste my time with entries that do not follow the rules. I hold everyone to the same exact standards and give no easy passes to even the moderators.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Only 4 hours, since that's about as much sleep as I got. However I'm going to run another at 4.5 tonight and see how it goes. Voltage makes me sad. Yet as I type this, it says 1.208, or 1.320. >.>

Clock: 4.4ghz
    Voltage: 1.336v
    Screenshot LINK: http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/s...psa2e0fbb6.jpg
    Valid CPU-Z link: http://valid.canardpc.com/2774101
    That's an extremely high voltage for only 4.4ghz. Bump it up to 4.6ghz and check stability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like about as far as I can push my system with stable Prime95. Fails on any voltage setting at 4.6ghz. I've run games stable at 4.7 at least, but not Prime95 so... Not sure if I want to push it further and see if it crashes down the line or just leave it here.

Clock: 4.5ghz
    Voltage: 1.36v
    Screenshot LINK: http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps1f18722f.jpg
    Valid CPU-Z link: http://valid.canardpc.com/2776745

Mobo: MSI Z77A-G41
    Core Clock: Auto
    Turbo Clock: 4500 on all 4 cores
    Voltage: +0.16 (max allowed)
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-04-20 at 04:45 PM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    4.5GHz on a 99 dollar board. :-) Awesome.

Would you end up recommending the Z77A-G41 to people looking for a modest overclock? (More or less asking if the 'finding out how everything works and stacks up' is worth the 30-40 bucks saved over say, an extreme4.)

My retailer claims they found a bent pin on the G43 I sent back to them, so I won't be getting a refund. -_- Might mess around with it some more soon, considering I'm not getting my money back, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsRedd View Post
    Would you end up recommending the Z77A-G41 to people looking for a modest overclock? (More or less asking if the 'finding out how everything works and stacks up' is worth the 30-40 bucks saved over say, an extreme4.)
    It's hard to say. The board is certainly capable of 4.5ghz, perhaps more on another board and another cpu. I think the most frustrating aspect of the board is it's poor BIOS interface. I've been telling people "Overclocking is easy" by simply upping the multiplier.. But.. it's not quite that simple, since it's t he Turbo multiplier, buried deeper in, rather than the base, as it only has the option of "Auto" which uses speedstep @ 1.6, 2.0, 3.4, and Turbo (3.8 default). Upping the base multipier effectively disables speedstep, which I'm not a fan of.

Is it a good board? Certainly. And an informed person can get very decent overclocks. At 4.2ghz on my GeForce 660, I get effectively 60fps on wow at nearly all times on Ultra. For someone not buying an OC board specifically to get 'as high as they can', it sort of proves that simply for gaming, a cheaper board will do fine.

Outside of being unable to get to 4.6 (which I hadn't even considered until AFTER I got the board, and started researching and pushing it more), the board has functioned perfectly for me, especially considering that while it retails for $99 now, I got it originally for $80 - $10 MIR back when I bought it late last year.
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-04-20 at 06:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like about as far as I can push my system with stable Prime95. Fails on any voltage setting at 4.6ghz. I've run games stable at 4.7 at least, but not Prime95 so... Not sure if I want to push it further and see if it crashes down the line or just leave it here.

Try turning on PLL Overvoltage. Or whatever it is called on your motherboard. I could never get anything above 4.4GHz stable even with some seriously higher voltage until I did that, then miraculously I had 4.6GHz easily stable no issues, and probably could go further.

Will add you later, thanks for remedying your post!
    "A flower.

I wouldn't want to run it at 1.36v 24/7 if I were you, feels a bit too much for Ivy.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rning/advanced
    i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz - R9-280X @ 1150Mhz on stock voltage - 8GB of DDR3 Ram @ 1866Mhz

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Try turning on PLL Overvoltage. Or whatever it is called on your motherboard. I could never get anything above 4.4GHz stable even with some seriously higher voltage until I did that, then miraculously I had 4.6GHz easily stable no issues, and probably could go further.

Will add you later, thanks for remedying your post!
    Well PPL overvoltage should only be used when you can't boot upto Windows, but it isn't going to have any effect afterwards in gaining stability so it's never going to make you pass a 12h prime test. I need to enable it for 50x, but 49/48x/47x it isn't needed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Well PPL overvoltage should only be used when you can't boot upto Windows, but it isn't going to have any effect afterwards in gaining stability so it's never going to make you pass a 12h prime test. I need to enable it for 50x, but 49/48x/47x it isn't needed.
    Isn't it an overvoltage under load? Why does it not work in torture tests?

Perhaps I have a wrong understanding of PLL Overvloltage

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry pal, but not everyone's rig is the same.

I could never pass P95 before no matter how much I tweaked voltages and added. Then I enabled PLL Overvoltage, and I easily had my computer on for 3 weeks straight, finally restarted... to install Windows updates.

I know it's been spread around as if it's a fact, that PLL Overvoltage is only for those who can't boot up, but it does more.

Go check out my 4.6GHz Prime95 post earlier in this thread, it is thanks to PLL OV I got that. So yes, it does help.

---------- Post added 2013-04-21 at 04:55 PM ----------

@Chazus, since I already said I would add you and only caught it now, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but in the future, please use a text box with your mmo-c username, for consistency purposes. :P

Added Chazus.
    "A flower.

It's not just the voltage that determines system stability... It's everything, your memory timings, its frequency, memory voltage, offset voltage, PLL, C1-C6, PLC LDPL, CPU power phase control, duty control, Load Line Calibration, you name it. One thing is certain, that voltage is unnecessarily high at the moment.

You should really do some research on overclocking and join some boards where various CPU/MOBO combinations are discussed. Good luck with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Confined View Post
    I wouldn't want to run it at 1.36v 24/7 if I were you, feels a bit too much for Ivy.
    I agree. I'm running 4.7ghz with 1.224v which is an indicative, though every chip is different.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2013-04-21 at 07:16 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    I agree. I'm running 4.7ghz with 1.224v which is an indicative, though every chip is different.
    I would be amazed if even half of all ivy chips reach that clock on that voltage. Saying that's indicative is pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsRedd View Post
    I would be amazed if even half of all ivy chips reach that clock on that voltage. Saying that's indicative is pushing it.
    Since you're Dutch, go to www.tweakers.net and have a close look at the OC forums. Ivy chips aren't half as bad as so many people claim. They run SOMEWHAT hotter, but need less voltage to run at higher a BLCK. A vcore of 1.35 isn't that uncommon on a sandy bridge oc of 'just' ~4.5ghz, for example.

Deleted
    Since you're Dutch, go to www.tweakers.net and have a close look at the OC forums. Ivy chips aren't half as bad as so many people claim. They run SOMEWHAT hotter, but need less voltage to run at higher a BLCK. A vcore of 1.35 isn't that uncommon on a sandy bridge oc of 'just' ~4.5ghz, for example.
    still ivy hits a thermal/multiplier limit pretty fast compared to sandy.
    also my ivy chip didn't wanna go far at all even at high voltages and danger zone temps. (only got 4,6 stable at best with 1,4 orso and running 98 degrees on a core)
    hence im likely gonna swap it for another one.
    also higher BLCK 9/10 not recommended for stability reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    still ivy hits a thermal/multiplier limit pretty fast compared to sandy.
    also my ivy chip didn't wanna go far at all even at high voltages and danger zone temps. (only got 4,6 stable at best with 1,4 orso and running 98 degrees on a core)
    hence im likely gonna swap it for another one.
    also higher BLCK 9/10 not recommended for stability reasons.
    Yes, yes, it does compared to Sandy. But it ain't all that bad. I've had the opportunity to build 7 or 8 Ivy based systems (a few for myself and some for friends etc...) and OCing them wasn't much more challenging than a Sandy, it was easier to attain stability actually.

You've seen my temps on 4.7 and 5.1 ghz. Most temps didn't deviate much. About 85° during prime on the hottest (and smallest) system. The systems with regular cases had an average of 70° under load.

Your OC greatly depends on your motherboard and BIOS settings. 1.4v is ridiculous and unless you're using the automatic step-up OC (which is always a bad idea), you shouldn't need such a high voltage.

Did you increase the voltage of your ram? Did you adjust the LLC? The PPC? The DC? These will determine whether your system will be stable more than your vcore. Maybe your MOBO isn't ideal for over-clocking? Maybe your RAM? The last thing I'd personally blame, is a 'bad' chip.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2013-04-21 at 10:15 PM.

Deleted
    Yes, yes, it does compared to Sandy. But it ain't all that bad. I've had the opportunity to build 7 or 8 Ivy based systems (a few for myself and some for friends etc...) and OCing them wasn't much more challenging than a Sandy, it was easier to attain stability actually.

You've seen my temps on 4.7 and 5.2 ghz. Most temps didn't deviate much. About 85° during prime on the hottest (and smallest) system. The systems with regular cases had an average of 70° under load.

Your OC greatly depends on your motherboard and BIOS settings. 1.4v is ridiculous and unless you're using the automatic step-up OC (which is always a bad idea), you shouldn't need such a high voltage.

Did you increase the voltage of your ram? Did you adjust the LLC? The PPC? The DC? These will determine whether your system will be stable more than your vcore. Maybe your MOBO isn't made for OC? Maybe your RAM? The last thing I'd personally look at, is a 'bad' chip.
    tried everything , it's a bad chip
    ofc did it manually and all other parts worked fine to even push my 2600k into some 5,0+ bench stable runs.
    1,4Vcore was more for the sake of seeing how much voltage it need in order to run stable but alas still wasn't enough for prime95 and also was almost hitting thermal limits. so likely going for another ticket in the sillicon lottery

It's not just the voltage that determines system stability... It's everything, your memory timings, its frequency, memory voltage, offset voltage, PLL, C1-C6, PLC LDPL, CPU power phase control, duty control, Load Line Calibration, you name it. One thing is certain, that voltage is unnecessarily high at the moment.

You should really do some research on overclocking and join some boards where various CPU/MOBO combinations are discussed. Good luck with it!
    Don't just tell him that he needs to do research about overclocking because of his high voltage & 4.5GHz, he is a very good overclocker which he proved with the limiting board.. Years ago the main key about overclocking the cpu was getting the RAM stable, nowadays it's complety easy.

I've tried earlier to overclock a 3570k with a Sabertooth z77 (PPL Overvoltage enabled, VRM fixed frequency 350, Duty & Phase to extreme, Ultra high LLC, BCLK locked to 100.0, 140% cpu power, power saving options & spread spectrum disabled) and I was kinda surprised why that chip was clocking to max 4.5GHz with 1.3Vcore.

Don't just tell him that he needs to do research about overclocking because of his high voltage & 4.5GHz, he is a very good overclocker which he proved with the limiting board.. Years ago the main key about overclocking the cpu was getting the RAM stable, nowadays it's complety easy.

I've tried earlier to overclock a 3570k with a Sabertooth z77 (PPL Overvoltage enabled, VRM fixed frequency 350, Duty & Phase to extreme, Ultra high LLC, BCLK locked to 100.0, 140% cpu power, power saving options & spread spectrum disabled) and I was kinda surprised why that chip was clocking to max 4.5GHz with 1.3Vcore.
    I wasn't aware that he needed you to defend his honor. Nor did I say he did anything wrong. I was merely asking, so you can stow your white cloak and sheathe your long sword.

Shroud, try another chip and report back. I hope you'll have more luck next time!

10+ Year Old Account
    Noct can you at least give us ivy newbs some tips to OC higher other than just bashing us? IM sitting at 4.6 at 1.36. Ive not touched my ram or anything but my cpu, what should i do since you appear to know it all (but choose not to give it up).