Page 28 of 60 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    That's like saying it's fine to show of a benchmark with cores turned off. Or other things turned off to artificially boost numbers.

Gimping a CPU to get higher clocks sounds a lot like cheating :P
    chazus put it quite well. It is essentially, cheating. Now I know Shroudster and I know that was not his intention, but regardless, such an OC is not going to go up.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Would probably be wise to specify this as a rule :P Many other overclocking leaderboards either specify or allow disabling HT, cores, etc to maximize your overclocks since thats really the entire point of having something like this.

Deleted
    well time to run it again then tonight.
    you know im getting that spot

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    Would probably be wise to specify this as a rule :P Many other overclocking leaderboards either specify or allow disabling HT, cores, etc to maximize your overclocks since thats really the entire point of having something like this.
    Issue has never come up before.

I will open it to opinions.

Anyone who is a typical regular in the computer forums or has entered in this leaderboard before, PLEASE post your opinions on this!

Should something like hyperthreading be allowed to have turned off on here?

I suppose I could mark people with w/HT or w.o/HT. Still, I'll give it a couple days to let people voice their opinions!
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2013-05-17 at 06:13 AM.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's probably best to leave hyper-threading as a requirement. While i wouldn't call it "cheating" it is an advantage. And you'll probably want to have hyperthreading enabled when you actually play. Because otherwise...why'd you buy a I7?

You'd kind of have to turn hyper-threading off to compete if you allowed people to submit results with it off. And that kind of defeats the purpose of an i7.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    It's probably best to leave hyper-threading as a requirement. While i wouldn't call it "cheating" it is an advantage. And you'll probably want to have hyperthreading enabled when you actually play. Because otherwise...why'd you buy a I7?

You'd kind of have to turn hyper-threading off to compete if you allowed people to submit results with it off. And that kind of defeats the purpose of an i7.
    well just provide some details for this part.
    i couldn't push my cpu beyond 5,0 prime stable at any voltage be it with or without HT.
    in this case the HT disable was merely for the sake of temps so my cores didn't shut down.
    for sheer gaming max temps peeked at 90 temps with HT enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    That's like saying it's fine to show of a benchmark with cores turned off. Or other things turned off to artificially boost numbers.

Gimping a CPU to get higher clocks sounds a lot like cheating :P
    Well, no you can do both it's just that chip type A will overclock higher percentage-wise than chip B where both have HT turned off. For a 4 core processor, HT is not necessary. I OC my 930 from WOTLK to 4.2 on air HT off and have been playing WoW with it since. I have no reason to upgrade. No reason to use HT.. why would I turn my HT on and reduce my clock when I don't need the cores? hehe

-Nish
    I don't know everything about baseball. Most people don't know 'everything' about baseball. People fall into two two categories. Person A will, when they see I don't know something, try to explain it to me in detail so I understand it. Person B will use their knowledge to make me out to be stupid. Person B is no friend of mine.

Deleted

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nish77 View Post
    Well, no you can do both it's just that chip type A will overclock higher percentage-wise than chip B where both have HT turned off. For a 4 core processor, HT is not necessary. I OC my 930 from WOTLK to 4.2 on air HT off and have been playing WoW with it since. I have no reason to upgrade. No reason to use HT.. why would I turn my HT on and reduce my clock when I don't need the cores? hehe

-Nish
    Tell me why you would buy the i7 in the first place, then.

@Shroudster, you know the drill. Fill out correctly. :P
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    dafuq did u do to get temps down that much?
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rning/advanced
    i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz - R9-280X @ 1150Mhz on stock voltage - 8GB of DDR3 Ram @ 1866Mhz

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Confined View Post
    dafuq did u do to get temps down that much?
    He's idling in that picture.

Look at his max temps. ^_<
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post

His max temps were 102C before lol

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post

Yea he got his max temps almost 20 degrees lower :P
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rning/advanced
    i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz - R9-280X @ 1150Mhz on stock voltage - 8GB of DDR3 Ram @ 1866Mhz

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh... didn't look that closely at first, saw he didn't have HT on and basically didn't look anymore. :P
    I suppose I'll leave him to answer that! XD
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah...going from 102c without hyper threading to 84c max with hyper threading makes no sense to me. Whats even weirder is voltages are higher with hyper threading, yet temps are lower.

How..? last i check your CPU was already de-lid so that certainly can't be it. Did you point an industrial fan at your computer or something? XD

10+ Year Old Account
    Obviously it's a new cooler.

Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    yeah...going from 102c without hyper threading to 84c max with hyper threading makes no sense to me. Whats even weirder is voltages are higher with hyper threading, yet temps are lower.

How..? last i check your CPU was already de-lid so that certainly can't be it. Did you point an industrial fan at your computer or something? XD
    the 105 max temps were prior to delidding. (that's how long you didn't take care of the thread )
    the whole temp drop shows just how bad the original TIM is pretty much. ( lets hope they improved that for haswell)
    i actually got 1 slightly better result still on my pc with 84 as max temp with a higher voltage. (don't ask me how i managed to do that)
    also klllora my cpu is just amazing as has been proven here. (it topped the hall of fame for about a week though)

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh wow, i didn't notice you posted that almost a month ago. Didn't even look. I assumed it was relatively recent since Deltrus was responding to it xD.

Nice! 5.1ghz. Sad that you need balls of titanium though to get these kinds of results without getting extremely lucky...

Deleted
    well i could also try to run naked die cooling if i mod my H100i stand-offs but that wouldn't matter since my cpu won't do anything at 5,1 or beyond stable no matter the voltage.
    also delidding is pretty easy in hindsight with the proper approach. (don't do it with a razor it's risky as hell!)

Name: Shroudster
    Processor: 3770k
    Clock: +- 5,0 Ghz
    Voltage: 1,376
    Cooler: H100i
    Screenshot LINK:

Valid CPU-Z link: http://valid.canardpc.com/2806416
    Last edited by mmoce1d4ab16bc; 2013-05-18 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    well i could also try to run naked die cooling if i mod my H100i stand-offs but that wouldn't matter since my cpu won't do anything at 5,1 or beyond stable no matter the voltage.
    also delidding is pretty easy in hindsight with the proper approach. (don't do it with a razor it's risky as hell!)

Name: Shroudster
    Processor: 3770k
    Clock: +- 5,0 Ghz
    Voltage: 1,376
    Cooler: H100i
    Screenshot LINK:

Valid CPU-Z link: http://valid.canardpc.com/2806416
    Too bad you didn't take the screenshot under load/with prime95 active.