Buy hard drive now or later?

I'm going to be building a new computer some time around the end of November/beginning of December, still working out the parts, but I was looking at hard drives, and noticed a huge increase in prices. The one I was planning on buying, a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3, increased $100 in price.

After some looking around, I found a 1TB Seagate Barracuda at BestBuy for only $70 (Can't link yet because I'm still new)

Compared to some of the other prices around the web, this seems like a steal. It is in stock at my local BestBuy and I could go pick it up today. Should I wait to see if the prices will come down again, or go ahead and jump on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Filibusters View Post
    Compared to some of the other prices around the web, this seems like a steal. It is in stock at my local BestBuy and I could go pick it up today. Should I wait to see if the prices will come down again, or go ahead and jump on this?
    it's not bad compared to current HD prices, but I would wait a bit and see if black friday produces cheaper prices (doubt it though).

i had the same question a couple of weeks ago

referee to this post i made, you answer should be there

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...light=keep+hdd

Spend the extra money on a solid state HD you won't regret it.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Spend the extra money on a solid state HD you won't regret it.
    You don't explain why they are better, have no idea what his budget is, and the differences of capacity is monumental.

SSD drives are nice to have but cost much more per GB of data and have relatively low capacity whereas the higher capacity and performance SSD will cost you an arm and a leg and still provide limited space compared to a standard platter drive.

Cheap SSD and Expensive SSD
    Standard Platter

Granted, the prices have shot up recently due to the flooding in Taiwan so expect the prices to come back down across the board in the near future but SSD will always cost much more.

So, while you'll gain some performance out of a SSD drive, you really need to include additional factors and what would be best suited for the user rather than you.

In my opinion, wait till the prices drop before doing anything.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2011-11-11 at 11:43 PM.

I'd use old HD until the prices go back to regular.

Get the $70 HDD now, don't wait until you buy the other parts, and then SSD later when you can afford one. Prices aren't likely to drop back to normal for another 3-4 months at least.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.