Page 82 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I played Firefall during closed beta awhile back and had trouble getting into it, very confusing for new players. I just now started playing again and I'm still having trouble figuring out what the hell to do. But tutorial has been improved.

I hate crafting, but in Firefall your pretty much forced you to do it if you want to progress at all. The game was built around the crafting, and it feels really grindy.

But I really like the graphical style Firefall went with, and the gameplay is pretty fun. It's enough to make me keep playing, unless I rage quit again because of the horrible lack of tutorials or any kind of guidance. But there's probably a lot of tutorial videos made by players now since closed beta. I'll check those out.

fail beta is fail

Post constructively
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-09-15 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    I played Firefall during closed beta awhile back and had trouble getting into it, very confusing for new players. I just now started playing again and I'm still having trouble figuring out what the hell to do. But tutorial has been improved.

I hate crafting, but in Firefall your pretty much forced you to do it if you want to progress at all. The game was built around the crafting, and it feels really grindy.

But I really like the graphical style Firefall went with, and the gameplay is pretty fun. It's enough to make me keep playing, unless I rage quit again because of the horrible lack of tutorials or any kind of guidance. But there's probably a lot of tutorial videos made by players now since closed beta. I'll check those out.
    Or... You could post your questions here or PM me. I've done everything but the new warfronts (which I plan on getting into soon)
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember playing Firefall beta a few months back. AoE suits seemed to be dominating.
    I just found planetside to be a better game for MMOFPS.

Hows the game at the moment? Is sniping viable now lal?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormkhan View Post
    I remember playing Firefall beta a few months back. AoE suits seemed to be dominating.
    I just found planetside to be a better game for MMOFPS.

Hows the game at the moment? Is sniping viable now lal?
    At this point, sniping is aoe lol. Things corpse explode on death from sniper rounds. A lot of people made nighthawk work, even got some buffs. Others used the base frame and rolled around with the r39 with good success. The setup to make raptor shine is hard to pull off in pvp due to the cooldown on their heroism buff.

Right now rhinos are pretty much top sustained dps due to their alt fire with raptor having superior burst dps for the duration of their heroism. Aoe frames are no good for raiding BC but are pretty viable in 5m BWA and open world stuff like warfronts. Whether that means recluse, tigerclaw, or firecat really comes down to play style.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, a very subjective question but i`ll still ask it before i update my Firefall or not.
    Is the game good enough to just play for PvE?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirve View Post
    Yet another feature they work tons of hours on, then proceed to start it all over again. Is this game ever coming out of beta?
    At least feedback and participation are shaping the game early on, unlike most so-called betas which are simply marketing ploys with a near-completed product and little to no room for player feedback to make sweeping changes.

Hmm, a very subjective question but i`ll still ask it before i update my Firefall or not.
    There isn't much of a progression in the traditional sense, really just dumping xp/crystite/resources etc into progressing a frame, and then unlocking another with sufficient pilot tokens.
    (Hugely relieved I unlocked most frames with XP back in the closed beta).

The content can be quite fun when you have the right number of players about, which in smaller events can be too many often, and sometimes too few for larger ones.
    Also depends on your choice of frame, as some are way better solo than others and the active population at the time.
    Got to tough it out, start again or spend cash on unlocks if you made a choice you come to regret at the start.

Getting groups for some content such as the BWA key can be tough.

The crafting is pretty ridiculous, and having come back after a long break I find the non-permanance of any gear aside from stock to be pretty tedious.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-09-16 at 12:10 AM.

Well, we have an insane amount of ARES now, rarespawn group bosses, executioner squads, BWA is amazing, baneclaw, invasions of TD and SH, and warfronts sound like where I will now be spending most of my time.

So... Yeah. For me, it is. If I had time I would be playing constantly (I was for a while). I play FOR pve and I've had a lot of fun finding ways to play as traditional trinity rpg parties. It actually works amazing. We never die unless we decide to say screw it to tactics lol. Once I get out of the woods on this thing I am working on I plan on living in the antartica melding pocket for stage 2, and when we finally capture the hidden city I will name it Icecrown and take my rightful place on the frozen throne...
    (As if I had enough time to get 1st place on the antartica leader boards lol...)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    The crafting is pretty ridiculous, and having come back after a long break I find the non-permanance of any gear aside from stock to be pretty tedious.
    The trick is to not die :P

the pvp was bad but i dont think taking out is the right thing to do...

of course balance was the biggest joke but well

i dont realy think they can keep anything up

the re5 devs are much about

BLABLABLA

but when you post feedback they say :

We love ou game , and yes its normal that this is like this its firefall not X or Y we dont do that...

we saw where that got them

They pulled PvP? They were planning to go competitive with their PvP last I checked, so that seems like a pretty major thing. As I said before, the game does not represent its development time, sadly.

For those asking, the game is fun and progression is now rewarding. The current content will allow you to play for a few months before you want more. I say go for it !

The only frustrating thing atm is the insane aim of the juggernauts... getting headshot sniped by a rocket launcher from 2 miles away just feels wrong.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Removing PvP entirely? That seems awfully serious...and also potentially damaging to their revenue. This was the kind of game I could see streamers and pros getting behind because of how unique the game is. I wonder if their metrics show no one participates or their feedback from surveys was ovewhelmingly negative.

I'm one of the people who would never, ever PvP in that game because it's the only game I can get the large scale FPS experience while fighting enemies. Sorta like Borderlands in the FPSRPG territory. I'm actually surprised with this new trend of shooter MMOs they haven't tried to do Borderlands Online.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    There was some post about how many people they've gained since opening their beta ect. Also, they just did their gamescon frame test out thing during which the servers were swarming. You could barely do ARES at night even with the lowered shard caps.

The pvp community in most MMOs is small so it's not really going to be much of an impact on firefall. As they CEO points out, only 3% of the population pvps.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep. Their CEO did a great video about that called like tiki hour special or something where he explains their dialectic design.

- - - Updated - - -

To be honest, there were so many people running around during gamescon week that it was frustrating. You had a 60% exp boost and the instance server for BWA crashed (due to too many people trying to farm it) and so you spent forever roaming around trying to get your hands on some ARES. It ended up being faster to level without the boost with less people around :/
    how active are any of those new players tho? they could try it out for a month get bored and never play again

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Removing PvP entirely? That seems awfully serious...and also potentially damaging to their revenue. This was the kind of game I could see streamers and pros getting behind because of how unique the game is. I wonder if their metrics show no one participates or their feedback from surveys was ovewhelmingly negative.

I'm one of the people who would never, ever PvP in that game because it's the only game I can get the large scale FPS experience while fighting enemies. Sorta like Borderlands in the FPSRPG territory. I'm actually surprised with this new trend of shooter MMOs they haven't tried to do Borderlands Online.
    Now i want it =(

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirve View Post
    Now i want it =(
    Ha. Well Firefall has the same cell shaded graphics on your characters, so you kinda have it? I do like how it puts talent tree systems in a shooter game, though it could use more variety. I was really surprised at how good the design of the game was, apart from the overdone and immature attempts at humor and gross behavior. I could have done without that, which is why I never bought the game.

I managed to get a free copy from a friend and both the visuals, sound, and gameplay are worth it. Story and lack of 'morals' are not for me. Call me a prude, but that stuff is just not funny or involving to me. I would have preferred Firefall's story and lore with BL2's gameplay and aesthetic(just world and style, not specifics like suicidal gimp midgets).
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    R5 is the only developer I have dealt with who didn't care about timing or anything, just the product. I guess it makes sense though. Why pour a ton of resources into something that, while awesome, is only appealing to a small minority. (as I typed this I realized that that's the same % that does bleeding edge content (hard mode raids) in wow/rift lol)
    Actually that abysmal number probably shows how badly designed PvP was in the game, not that PvP players were a small minority in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    how active are any of those new players tho? they could try it out for a month get bored and never play again
    If you play firefall for more than a few hours you usually end up being a long term player. Most people who try and stop playing firefall do so in the first hour. There was an article about it a while ago.

R5 laid off people this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    One of the producers of Firefall said that less than 3% of the players engaged in PVP of any kind. Despite the significant resources the team invested into PVP systems and functions. Like that amazing spectator mode and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    One of the producers of Firefall said that less than 3% of the players engaged in PVP of any kind. Despite the significant resources the team invested into PVP systems and functions. Like that amazing spectator mode and so forth.
    The entire game was PvP for quite a while and R5 was given vast amounts of player feedback that was completely ignored.