15+ Year Old Account

AA Disc and "Through a Glass, Darkly"

So, I have the quest to go into Nexus for the staff chain. Now, I know it's possible as shadow, but personally I dislike being shadow. So, I'm curious to know if this quest could be done as AA disc instead. Any help would be highly appreciated, thank you.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

I dont... what...? Why would you get the legendary in your guild if you wouldn't even use it for a dps spec? I'm guessing you COULD do it as disc it would be very difficult though because dmg output is so low, you'd basically just heal yourself through the fight to survive and probably oom long before it dies.

If your guild is really giving the legendary to a disc priest, I'm quitting the game. Right now.

I know a few ppl that have done it as disc so I am sure you can too. As far as getting the legendary that is the quest to get the 2nd part of the chain going which is months/weeks off from the legendary, all depending on if you do 10 or 25. Even in 10 mans though ppl should have 4 or 5 ppl to this point or very near it.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by quantaron View Post
    If your guild is really giving the legendary to a disc priest, I'm quitting the game. Right now.
    It's perfectly possible to pug your way to a staff, the extra boss is very easy, and you could just pay a few people off to do it, or ask your guild for help on that stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    It's perfectly possible to pug your way to a staff, the extra boss is very easy, and you could just pay a few people off to do it, or ask your guild for help on that stage.
    ...fine, but I'm still quitting.

...fine, but I'm still quitting.
    If it makes you feel better my resto pve and resto pvp druid has the 391 version of the staff that I have only used screwing around in bgs. I dont care for boomkin and will almost certainly never try it again. We are almost 5 months into the raid everyone has the first part done if they have raided and killed a decent amount of bosses week to week. With how quickly 25s put them together to start there are tons of them floating around at all 3 stages.

This is like saying that you'd quit your guild in Wrath if they gave the bloods to someone's second or third alt so they could make Shadow's Edge, when their main person had Shadowmourne.
    "It was the product of a mind so twisted, it was actually sprained." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nurabsal View Post
    on an aside, i think Bane Falcon might be my hero
    2-2-2012. We shall always remember the day where Paladins ascended through the Light to become GODS.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    If it makes you feel better my resto pve and resto pvp druid has the 391 version of the staff that I have only used screwing around in bgs. I dont care for boomkin and will almost certainly never try it again. We are almost 5 months into the raid everyone has the first part done if they have raided and killed a decent amount of bosses week to week. With how quickly 25s put them together to start there are tons of them floating around at all 3 stages.
    Yes and 10s just got their first...

TaGD quest is right at the beginning. Reagents for that are gathered really, really quick. They probably run out of people to give them to (we've got one healer with full 25 embers already in my guild - and we only raid 10 man and begun like a month late with slow progression)

On topic: don't forget that Atonement heals you 4 times less than it would normally. The quest is quite hard AFAIK, so you'd struggle in that spec.

Deleted
    I did it as disc. It is quite easy (you can just heal lol), it does however take forever to do, the last boss spawns some adds you gotta kill before they overrun you, you gotta dispel the boss quick or he heals and u gotta avoid the flame all while doing like 4 mill dmg to the boss. I would recommend just respeccing to shadow and breezing through it as you'll spend much less time respecing back and forth than doing it as disc.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm making my staff now, too, and I'm a healer. All our main casters have finished their Branch of Nordrassil already.

Quote Originally Posted by schoenkid37 View Post
    I dont... what...? Why would you get the legendary in your guild if you wouldn't even use it for a dps spec? I'm guessing you COULD do it as disc it would be very difficult though because dmg output is so low, you'd basically just heal yourself through the fight to survive and probably oom long before it dies.
    Eh I raid 10 mans and we don't have one yet, but our mage is on the siphoning part, I am collecting cinders, and our boomkin switched to a hunter for more class variety in our 10 man. So our choices moving forward are between the two resto druids and our disc priest. Since multiple people can be working on it at the same time there is no reason not to let a healer start working on it.

SO seriously people you should stop judging.

As far as doing the nexus quest as AA... I don't see why you couldn't.
    Watch out for these things:
    • With the overseers you have to move out of the spike they will put on you
    • the dogs are annoying in with their silencing
    • in the gauntlet with the little ghost guys (that's what they look like to me I know they are prob some kind of elemental) just keep moving because they respawn fast
    • In the hallway where she is breaking down the wall move when the dog that comes starts casting his fire line thing.
    • Use the shadowy orb things on the platforms to help mitigate damage done to you.
    • On the platform when the dragon comes over you make sure you let him breath fire on you before you jump off
    • On the last boss stay all over dispeling the twilight restoration, kill the adds as fast as you can, and run away from his breath quickly.

I had very bad luck trying it as disc, but I am pretty sure that is mostly because I am really unfamiliar with it. The main thing will really be dispeling the Twilight Restoration though. The fight will probably last longer and any ticks he gets off with that heal will make it last even longer. Good Luck though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    So, I have the quest to go into Nexus for the staff chain. Now, I know it's possible as shadow, but personally I dislike being shadow. So, I'm curious to know if this quest could be done as AA disc instead. Any help would be highly appreciated, thank you.
    I did it as disc a few days ago (I previously did it on a warlock so I knew what to expect) and 1 shot it. It was very easy as disc....time consuming, but easy.

Keep yourself shielded, swp and dp are your friends. Mind spike and mind blast are also your friends, just remember mind spike removes dots. You'll be cs'd during the last guy so have spells from more than 1 school bound and ready. Kill adds as they come, don't forget to fear them.

Priority 1: don't get hit with the laser breath thing P2: dispel boss when he shields himself P3: keep yourself shielded and healed P4: kill adds P5: dps boss

Also, don't be afraid to use barrier on lil' ol you; same with pain supp - cds like this make it very easy.

Feel free to add me to realid: Kyx@mugthol.net and if I'm on and you have questions - feel free to ask and goodluck! =)
    (I also highly suggest watching a few videos beforehand; this will save you a lot of time and give you a very good idea of what to expect.)
    (I also also suggest reading Arlee's post regarding the mobs before the last boss. 1 thing he/she didn't say that I found useful was holy nova'ing the gauntlet...those things have no hp and you really do have to keep moving)
    Last edited by Mikayo; 2011-11-11 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Yes and 10s just got their first...
    A month ago and should be getting their 2nd in the next week. Sure it sucks that blizzard made it so much easier to put together in 25 but they have since changed some of it.

OP gl on your quest. I am not a huge quester but I really enjoyed that and all the other stages of putting a staff together.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thank you to the few of you that actually answered my question. I at least know the quest is possible to do as discipline, but in all likeliehood I will just go ahead and do it as shadow.

To those of you who came into this thread with the "omg disc getting legendary wtf"...I'm not certain if you're familiar with this quest chain, but this is the portion after the FIRST gathering part. I'd like to point out to you that I'm in a 25-man raiding guild that is 6/7 heroic, and we have already completed 2 legendaries, on our way to a third, and another 2-3 391 staves have been completed. I am, in the order of casters, the EIGTH person who has gathered his Embers for the first turn-in. In fact, the only reason I'm even doing this quest chain is for another staff to use for transmogrification. I have little to no interest in a DPS legendary staff, even with the ability to pop onto a cool-looking dragon mount built into it. However, I do appreciate the assumption you made that my guild is full of complete and total morons.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Thank you to the few of you that actually answered my question. I at least know the quest is possible to do as discipline, but in all likeliehood I will just go ahead and do it as shadow.

To those of you who came into this thread with the "omg disc getting legendary wtf"...I'm not certain if you're familiar with this quest chain, but this is the portion after the FIRST gathering part. I'd like to point out to you that I'm in a 25-man raiding guild that is 6/7 heroic, and we have already completed 2 legendaries, on our way to a third, and another 2-3 391 staves have been completed. I am, in the order of casters, the EIGTH person who has gathered his Embers for the first turn-in. In fact, the only reason I'm even doing this quest chain is for another staff to use for transmogrification. I have little to no interest in a DPS legendary staff, even with the ability to pop onto a cool-looking dragon mount built into it. However, I do appreciate the assumption you made that my guild is full of complete and total morons.
    Hmm... can't tell if talking about 391, or being just that. D:

Deleted
    ^^ my guild due to lack of caster dps wanting to try the quest line have myself Disc priest and Resto Druid on the quest chain.

As for the quest in Nexus I would recommend going shadow for it and even then it's a ball buster of a quest I almost gave up after my 20th time restarting it pitty I didn't because I am not likely to complete the entire chain ( I'm on the second raid part where you have to do something at each boss for the last 3 weeks still haven't gotten a single part ).
    Last edited by mmocb7bc0f26da; 2011-11-12 at 09:57 AM.

Deleted
    Just did this as AA/A disc, got it 3rd time through - as long as you don't stand in the fire you pretty much can't die as disc. Actually killing the boss takes a while as your dps on him is minimal, took me about 15 mins in the end.

FWIW I'm the third caster in the guild to get enough embers, so it's not like we're prioritising disc priests.

In fact, the only reason I'm even doing this quest chain is for another staff to use for transmogrification.
    It's a shame, because the orange version looks significantly awesome enough to never want to put down.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~