Thread: Skyrim is Laggy

Skyrim is Laggy

I have Skyrim for the PC and it's a bit laggy. How do I increase the performance? The settings are on medium and I even lowered them more.

Deleted
    Works perfectly fine on my system, maybe your computer needs an upgrade.

A better graphics card? more ram, quad core etc etc... Not really sure what you can do if not a hardware upgrade

if u cant upgrade your hardware then just turn the settings down to low and it should be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lower resolution? Turn down the option thats taking up the most vram, normally shadows or aa for me.

I just got my PC in June, brand new. I'm not sure what's up I don't have anything running in the background either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by appleezz View Post
    I have Skyrim for the PC and it's a bit laggy. How do I increase the performance? The settings are on medium and I even lowered them more.
    Yet you don't mention specs.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by appleezz View Post
    I just got my PC in June, brand new. I'm not sure what's up I don't have anything running in the background either.
    Just because you got it in june doesnt mean it has the best hardware...and june is a while ago in PC hardware terms.

If you want further help, we need the specs mate

Just because a PC is new, doesn't mean it good at playing games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Post your PC specs. If you "bought it", I'm assuming you bought the computer just off the shelf. Many retail computers are sorely lacking, especially in the graphics department.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

15+ Year Old Account
    Toms did a review on Skyrim. Any comp running a 2ghz dual core and matched with at least a 430 or 5570 should be able to handle it @ 1680x1050 in medium settings for a average of 35 FPS.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...k,3074-10.html

You might want to look at updating your drivers and the settings you are using. I am running the game on my older system " Athlon 2.5ghz O.C with a 450 GTS" and it runs fine in medium. I'd put it on my newer systems but I can never get the kids off them to do so

Let's get facts straight once for all. You can't have a singleplayer game "lagging". LAG is connection disruption and you are referring to "low FPS".

I'd take the assumption that if you bought just a regular desktop PC from a place and don't know the specs of it that It either doesn't have a discrete Video card or it has a really minimal one. Most computers you find in retail stores forgo the fancy video card because a majority of users will never have a use for it. You really only need one if your playing games so go to your Control panel --> System ---> device manager and see whats listed under your display adapters.

Post here with that + your CPU/ram should give us an Idea of if your computer can handle it or if you need to upgrade one of those things.
    Desktop - AMD FX-8120 @ 3.8ghz - 8GB DDR3 OCZ - Sapphire 7870
    Laptop - M11X. Revision1 - 1.7ghz ULV Dual Core - 4GB DDR2 - GT335M

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What type if video card do you have?

Hardocp did a performance review and had issues with the HD 6970 not sure if it applies to all AMD cards. they were saying they experienced mouse lag. They found .ini fixes for it. I would suggest checking the official support forums for those fixes.

http://hardocp.com/article/2011/11/1...e_iq_preview/3
    Last edited by dicertification; 2011-11-11 at 07:10 PM.

Never buy pc packages in stores. Get a friends who knows a bit to build it for you. Stores will always rip you off.

Quote Originally Posted by rinleezwins View Post
    Never buy pc packages in stores. Get a friends who knows a bit to build it for you. Stores will always rip you off.
    Not necessarily true.

Most big stores, will sell you the WRONG PC for you.. but its not necessarily a rip off.. it may just not cover everything that you want to do.

But if you look at base hardware specs.. cpu speed, ram, HDD space, etc.. and adding in OS cost.. the retail ones are usualy actualy CHEAPER than one built by hand. They often just lack in the graphics department, but you can add a better video card to it.

Unless your a stickler for which brand parts are in it.. for most people on a budget, this is the better way to go.