GTX 560 ti OC hitting 89 degrees Celcius too hot?

Playing Skyrim and my GPU is constantly around 85-89C. How bad is this? It has a factory overlock, so should I underlock it abit or is the current temp fine?

I'm surprised cause even BF3 under full load I only hit about 70-75 degrees C.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    For consistently long periods of time, yeah, that's too hot. What version of 560 Ti do you have? What are the clocks? What case do you have and how good is the airflow?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    For consistently long periods of time, yeah, that's too hot. What version of 560 Ti do you have? What are the clocks? What case do you have and how good is the airflow?
    PNY GTX 560 TI OC1

Using Afterburner:

850 Mhz
    1700 shader clock
    2100 Memory clock
    40% fanspeed

I just have a standard stock Asus case.

Should I increase the fan speed and by how much if so? Also maybe bring it down to 800/1600/2000 maybe?
    Last edited by Chingylol; 2011-11-11 at 06:46 PM.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You should raise the fan speed to where it's just inaudible if your setting an idle fan speed.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ah yeah.... PNY is a great company, but for graphics cards, they do nothing to give them real cooling, so I'm not too surprised at all at your temps. Put your fan at manual and turn it up to 60% and see how that works, turn it up in 5% increments until your temperatures are in the mid-70s Celsius, then we'll be getting somewhere.

For future reference, don't buy PNY graphics cards, nor other reference design ones with that poor cooling. Get ones like the MSI Twin Frozr II series, Asus DCII series, the 3-fan Gigabyte ones (not sure what they're called, if anything special), or the Sparkle Calibre is also a good one I recently learned about. These all keep GPUs insanely cooler, like when I run Unigine Heaven (a GPU benchmarking program) the max temp I get is 63 Celsius.

Also, if you can get us a picture of the case, a good picture, that also shows the side, I'd appreciate it. I want to see how much airflow is getting near the card, if any, I wonder if the card is getting choked for cool air.

The clocks on your card are barely above reference, so don't bother lowering them, you shouldn't have to.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Ah yeah.... PNY is a great company, but for graphics cards, they do nothing to give them real cooling, so I'm not too surprised at all at your temps. Put your fan at manual and turn it up to 60% and see how that works, turn it up in 5% increments until your temperatures are in the mid-70s Celsius, then we'll be getting somewhere.

For future reference, don't buy PNY graphics cards, nor other reference design ones with that poor cooling. Get ones like the MSI Twin Frozr II series, Asus DCII series, the 3-fan Gigabyte ones (not sure what they're called, if anything special), or the Sparkle Calibre is also a good one I recently learned about. These all keep GPUs insanely cooler, like when I run Unigine Heaven (a GPU benchmarking program) the max temp I get is 63 Celsius.

Also, if you can get us a picture of the case, a good picture, that also shows the side, I'd appreciate it. I want to see how much airflow is getting near the card, if any, I wonder if the card is getting choked for cool air.

The clocks on your card are barely above reference, so don't bother lowering them, you shouldn't have to.
    Thanks ALOt for the advice! Bumped my fan up and now sitting at a fine 75 degree celcius under full load!

15+ Year Old Account
    my heavy OC'd gtx 570 has never gone over 65´C so yeah thats hot, you should invest in some more fans in your case i have it programmed that if card goes up to 45'C fan goes 45% etc etc, u can do that in msi afterburner

10+ Year Old Account
    i would have to say yes lol, unless you are recompiling the planet you shouldn't hit that hot

Deleted
    Hello, I have the same probleme with RIFT, GPU goes up to 82-85°,
    with CALIBRE 560 ti, 950Mhz (stock), and even if I downclock the frequency, I have the same temperature (very strange), and she is really noisy !
    This test show strange result to : 1st result to "test 560 ti calibre" in google, on tomshardware (I can't post URL "until you post a few times"...)
    -> +2° in a game (Just Cause 2) as in FurMark, whereas other are -8/-10°
    -> same thing about consumption,
    I don't understand....

The card crash 2 or 3 time in 5 days, probably due to the temperature, maybe over 85°, I don't look all the time. Today 5 hour without crash (yeah geek a lot...)
    Should I change it ? or fix it ? (if has probleme)

Thank a lot in advance !
    (Sorry for my bad English, I'm french)

niounter.. how is your GPU crashing...are you getting driver not responding error or just your PC will freeze?

Anyway, while it's really high temperature, it's not critical. As long as Nvdia chips are not hitting 90 *C mark, you shouldn't be worry.

10+ Year Old Account
    How come anyone using afterburner not use the Fan profile!!. It's so easy. You just set your own graph to let afterburner adjust the fanspeed automatically according to GPU temperature. Do keep in mind that GPU temperature is not the only thing that's important. Your VRM's are running hotter then average aswell, and they rely on the fan to keep them cool. Especially when they're not equipped with heatsinks.

Deleted
    Thx for your response ManiaCCC, so : my screen freeze (nothing happen), and few second after, my PC reboot.

Thx to Majesticii too, but I don't understand, are you saying I should use MSI Afterburner to adjust the fanspeed slowly ? Whereas my GPU is already crashing at stock ? (at 80% fan, that is already so noisy !) Or adjust the speed above ? In witch case the the noise would be just unbearable ? But yes, maybe more stable :s

Tomorow is my last day for exchange (retraction), I thing it's the right way for me...

15+ Year Old Account
    I know this topic is old, but just want to let this know (i googled on 560ti):

I have a stock 560TI and it also was very hot, idle 55 full load 89 > and alot of noise.

Yesterday i completely disassambled my card, and noticed there are some cooling strips (not paste) besides my GPU and the cooler.

I removed them and put cooling paste (MX4) on all the parts, and put the cooling elemtens back on it

Also on the GPU itselfe was way to much cooling paste applied, wich i removed and made a nice thin stroke of new paste.

Then i took out the alluminium part where the air flows trough, and i saw there was some hard dust piling in front of it, thus not letting trough enoug air.

Cleaned that, started my PC and its now idle on 36 degrees and under full load 74 degrees (and no real noise at all, just a little buzz like it shoud instead of a vacuum cleaner sound).

This solved my problem with the very hot 560ti

I know your post had good intentions, but please don't bump threads that are this old.

Closed.

When victory seems worth any sacrifice,
    there is a price to be paid for such a gift

Forum Guidelines | Signature Restrictions