Deleted

Tol'Vir mount farming strategy

I would like to find out, if there is any approach/strategy that can help me while trying to get a TV mount.

Right now I'm at my 9th-10th Tol'Vir solve, Scarab Pendant just appeared. This will be my second rare, after the pet. My strategy so far was to dig in Kalimdor until at least 3 digsites showed in Uldum, because:

1. Most probably I will be able to complete one common straight away and see what's next.

2. There is a large chance one of these three digs will spawn another one in Uldum.

3. It's just more relaxing to spend some minutes farming Tol'Vir, knowing how rare the fragments are.

Everything would've been perfect, however I have my doubts: what if by the time the game "rolls" on another dig site the site is "taken"? Will it simply select another one in the same zone, or "roll" again? If the latter I'm actually doing it wrong.

I'm determined to get a mount, I'm not a dedicated raider, so what's left in WoW are various profession/mount/pet achievements. At the same time some people didn't get it until their 200th-300th Tol'Vir solves, so being at 1/20 of that makes you feel a bit weak.

It seems like you'd want to do your Uldum digs ASAP. Every taken spot down there is just one less that you'll be able to luck into.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

15+ Year Old Account
    You want to go straight to a Tol'vir dig site as soon as one pops up cause the more you have up the less of a chance of a chance of getting another one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your strategy seems good, just find a way to balance it... possibly in a way to have your HS in Stormwind if Ally and simply in Orgrimmar if Horde. Then you can use your HS to get either from SW to Hyjal/Uldum or from Orgrimmar to wherever by flying/Hyjal/Uldum.

There aren't lots of Tol'Vir digsites, but I remember something about 15-20% of Kalimdor digsites to be Tol'Vir (by statistics of appearance, not of amount). There are what... 7-8 different possible digsite in Uldum? The RNG isn't capable on landing on a digsite you already have, as the logical way to program it would be to flag every digsite currently active and simply not include them in the next search.

What I'm really saying: it won't be a problem to go immediately to Uldum when a site spawns as 1) you'll be able to teleport to your home city often (guild tabards with that port you to your home city) and 2) you'll have a greater chance to spawn the next Tol'Vir if they're all blank.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest View Post
    It seems like you'd want to do your Uldum digs ASAP. Every taken spot down there is just one less that you'll be able to luck into.
    This is correct. While it may feel better to be able to dig up 3 sites in a row (or four if your really lucky), in the long run you're actually neutering your chances of having more TV dig sites pop up.

Because basically, when you dig up a site anywhere on Kalimdor, another digsite opens up randomly on the map (with it being more likely to be a night elf, troll etc etc then a TV). From memory theres only 4 or 5 dig sites in Uldum, so for every dig site that is already up in uldum your loosing 1/5 of the places that a new site can spawn.

So, set your hearth in Org or SW, or somewhere that lets you get there, and the moment a TV digsite opens up go dig it up!

Happy farming!

10+ Year Old Account
    Mid-Michigan (Originally Victoria, Australia)
    Also if you can, try and wait 'til 4.3, where Archaeology is buffed. You'll get a ton more fragments.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryken View Post
    Also if you can, try and wait 'til 4.3, where Archaeology is buffed. You'll get a ton more fragments.
    Pretty bad advice really, you might as well do it now for a 'headstart'.

While it's true that the more Tol'vir sites you have up, you have less chance of getting another one, it's not really worth using your HS to get to Uldum for 1 digsite, if you have three digsites around Felwood/Azshara/Hyjal and you're around there anyway.

I really think Horde get the advantage over Alliance on this, since a HS in Orgrimmar will give you quick access to the entire map, whereas Alliance have to spend more time to reach Desolace and Barrens digsites for examples.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erto View Post
    Pretty bad advice really, you might as well do it now for a 'headstart'.

While it's true that the more Tol'vir sites you have up, you have less chance of getting another one, it's not really worth using your HS to get to Uldum for 1 digsite, if you have three digsites around Felwood/Azshara/Hyjal and you're around there anyway.

I really think Horde get the advantage over Alliance on this, since a HS in Orgrimmar will give you quick access to the entire map, whereas Alliance have to spend more time to reach Desolace and Barrens digsites for examples.
    Exactly, what I normally did (I have the mount already, got it on my third solve xD) was more or less split kalimdor in half between north and south. I would then solve everything in north until there were 4 sites in the south (or 3 if one was Tol'Vir or the one in north was far enough away from me) and then switch to solving the south, until all the sites are in the north. I would simply HS and port to Hyjal or Uldum as needed. If you're Horde, I would say splitting into north, south, and middle, and doing the same thing, simply flying to middle from Org.

Deleted
    I has good stretegy imo

1.Click "M"
    2.Fly to red circle area on map
    3.Dig
    4.Solve projects
    5.Have a mount in your bag, eazy bro

That's how I got mine

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukaduk View Post
    You want to go straight to a Tol'vir dig site as soon as one pops up cause the more you have up the less of a chance of a chance of getting another one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojototem View Post
    This is correct. While it may feel better to be able to dig up 3 sites in a row (or four if your really lucky), in the long run you're actually neutering your chances of having more TV dig sites pop up.

Because basically, when you dig up a site anywhere on Kalimdor, another digsite opens up randomly on the map (with it being more likely to be a night elf, troll etc etc then a TV). From memory theres only 4 or 5 dig sites in Uldum, so for every dig site that is already up in uldum your loosing 1/5 of the places that a new site can spawn.

So, set your hearth in Org or SW, or somewhere that lets you get there, and the moment a TV digsite opens up go dig it up!

Depends. I acquired the Scepter of Azj'Aqir recently by following a balanced approach. I came up with it after a lot of farming. Yes indeed, if a Tol'vir digsite has spawned you (well logically, we can't know 100% how the system works) have less chances for another one to spawn.

However, if say you are in Hyjal and have a bunch of other digsites around you, and a tol'vir pops up, you have two options:

1) Go to the tol'vir digsite directly.
    2) Finish the other digsites close by and then move.

I always went with the second option, it is less frustrating and less tiring. You may as well end up with multiple tol'vir digsites because personally I've noticed that the system likes to throw digsites from one end to the other end of the continent (Hyjal at the North, Uldum at the South).

Going directly for a Tol'vir digsite each time one shows up can wear you down as you will be doing a lot of back and forth that is avoidable. Ultimately, keeping a balance will aid you more in the long run.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I always just worked my way down the map until I was at least halfway down Kalimdor before even thinking about going to Uldum. I'm a druid so when I was done in Uldum, just Moonglade hearthed back up to start again. Don't really know how sites work, whether its a random spawn of any location in Kal, or if it is a random spawn of a specific type. I used to be able to force 3-4 digs down in Uldum and then usually while doing those, get 1-2 more to pop while digging what I already had.

Just find a rhythm or pattern that is easy for you, putting too much thought into finding the perfect strategy will just piss you off each time you solve a common and get another common.
    Quote from: Thallidomaniac on March 28, 2010, 05:56:24 am
    Our characters are wearing the same pair of underwear, since like, Level 1. Damn that's unsanitary as hell.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    ... if say you are in Hyjal and have a bunch of other digsites around you, and a tol'vir pops up, you have two options:

1) Go to the tol'vir digsite directly.
    2) Finish the other digsites close by and then move.

I always went with the second option, it is less frustrating and less tiring. You may as well end up with multiple tol'vir digsites because personally I've noticed that the system likes to throw digsites from one end to the other end of the continent (Hyjal at the North, Uldum at the South).
    I agree. I went for the second option.

I might add that if the OP wants to progress as quickly as possible, buy and use keystones off the auction house if he/she runs short, and change his race to a dwarf if he is Alliance. It will be costly, but this will accelerate the process (it doesn't make you any luckier unfortunately).
    Last edited by macdisciple; 2011-11-13 at 10:10 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by parkerlynne View Post
    Don't really know how sites work, whether its a random spawn of any location in Kal, or if it is a random spawn of a specific type. I used to be able to force 3-4 digs down in Uldum and then usually while doing those, get 1-2 more to pop while digging what I already had.
    This is what I also ended up doing. Going to Uldum just for one dig can really wear you down. By digging around, using sites close to you even if you have to backtrack a bit (4k-5k yards) enabled me to "force spawn" 3-4 digs in Uldum quite frequently. Got my 3rd Tol'Vir rare today, was able to complete it in 2-3 hours. Pet was 1st, and I also wanted it. So now all that's left is a mount and two USELESS epics...

Anyway, tommorow is another farming day.

10+ Year Old Account
    My strategy has been to teleport to Moonglade (Darn would work just as well) and work my way north to south. I don't know if it's supposed to or if this is just luck, but typically the dig sites tend to pop farther south than I already am. Occasionally this is not the case, but for the most part it is.

By the time I work down to the UnGoro/Tanaris/Uldum area, I can usually have 3-4 TV sites up. Usually as I dig those, I'll get 1 or maybe 2 to pop for Tanaris/UnGoro and usually at least one more TV to pop. I think this is the best way, it really cuts down on flying time.