Can't enable crossfire!

Alright my fellow MMO-Champions I have a problem. I updated my drivers today to the most recent from AMD and can't enable crossfire via the Catalyst Control Center (CCC). I did have it enabled before the update. I've seen many threads where people don't see the option but that isn't my case. I can select the option but as soon as I select "Apply" it reverts back to Crossfire disabled. Any ideas as to what may be going on?

Edit: Just to provide more info I have to Radeon HD 6870s
    Last edited by Docphil; 2011-11-12 at 04:05 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Have you removed ccc completely before trying the new drivers? I know I had a similar issue in the past when going from a preview driver to a later official release driver. Solved by removing the software through control panel and reinstalling the updated driver

I haven't tried that yet. I'll give it a shot and let you know my results.

Results: This didn't work. I completely uninstalled CCC and the drivers. Reinstalled the drivers and then CCC to enable crossfire. If CCC is the problem do you think there is a way to enable crossfire without it?
    Last edited by Docphil; 2011-11-12 at 07:01 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Another shot in the dark. Assuming you have vista/windows 7 I think it's the same for vista at least.

Shutdown remove both cards put the card you had as the 2nd one into the first slot and don't install the other card. Reboot, uninstall CCC, reboot, device manager -> Display Adapters -> Right Click -> Uninstall (Make sure to select "Delete Software Driver for this Device), reboot, install latest CCC, reboot, log into windows. Shutdown and install 2nd card. Boot up and CCC should say you have a 2nd card and enable crossfire for you. EDIT: SORRY, REBOOT AGAIN for last step

I know it's a long list of stuff to do, but I'm trying to be as redundant as possible. Hope it helps, if not sorry for wasting your time.
    Last edited by dicertification; 2011-11-12 at 08:00 PM.