Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Tier tokens in Mists of Pandaria

So I was thinking about this, how will they work it around with tier tokens in MoP with a new class coming in. They can't just add the monk class to another tier token, because it would be way unbalanced then.

Now looking at the previous expansions's tier token system, it goes like this:

TBC (t4 and t5)
    - Champion: Paladin, Rogue, Shaman (3 spec class, 1 spec class, 3 spec class, and with specs I mean different kinds of tier sets)
    - Defender: Warrior, Priest, Druid (2 spec class, 2 spec class, 3 spec class)
    - Hero: Hunter, Mage, Warlock (1 spec class, 1 spec class, 1 spec class)

Now this is quite unbalanced if you look at it from specs's point of view, we had Champion, with 7 specs needing it, Defender, with 7 specs needing it and Hero, with 3 specs needing it. I don't know if it was changed because it was unbalanced, but it certainly feels that could've been the case.

TBC (t6)
    - Conqueror: Paladin, Priest, Warlock (3 spec class, 2 spec class, 1 spec class)
    - Protector: Warrior, Hunter, Shaman (2 spec class, 1 spec class, 3 spec class)
    - Vanquisher: Rogue, Mage, Druid (1 spec class, 1 spec class, 3 spec class)

Here they balanced it around, from 7 spec token, 7 spec token and 3 spec token to 6 spec token, 6 spec token, 5 spec token, making it more fair for each spec.

WotLK/Cataclysm
    - Conqueror: Paladin, Priest, Warlock (3 spec class, 2 spec class, 1 spec class)
    - Protector: Warrior, Hunter, Shaman (2 spec class, 1 spec class, 3 spec class)
    - Vanquisher: Rogue, Death Knight, Mage, Druid (1 spec class, 2 spec class, 1 spec class, 3 spec class)

Here they went with the obvious choise, adding a new, 2 spec class to the token which had less specs than the two other ones.

Now what will they do with MoP? They can't really go and add a 3 spec class into any of those tokens, since it would give conqueror or protector 2 specs more than vanquisher, and 3 specs more than the other, so I guess they'll have to revamp the system, like they did when t6 came.

One way is to go with a token shared with all classes, which I'm not too fond of, or go with something like this:

We have four three spec classes: Paladin, Monk, Shaman and Druid, three two spec classes: Warrior, Priest and Death Knight, and four one spec classes: Hunter, Mage, Warlock and Rogue, probably the best way of sorting them would be to put one of each two spec class per token, like we have now. Then spread around the 8 other classes evenly, but how will they do that? They should also count in the amount of players per class, so that all of the most played classes wouldn't end up in the same token, also, there shouldn't be more than 4 or less than 3 classes per token. Imo, the best way would be this:

- Token 1: 3 spec class, 3 spec class, 1 spec class (3 different classes and 7 different sets of gear)
    - Token 2: 3 spec class, 2 spec class, 2 spec class, 1 spec class (4 different classes and 8 different sets of gear)
    - Token 3: 3 spec class, 2 spec class, 1 spec class, 1 spec class (4 different classes and 7 different sets of gear)

I guess they'll change the names of the tokens, like they did when they went from t4/t5 system to t6 system.

How do you think they're going to make it happen, share your ideas. =)
    Last edited by mmoc01f0b7c362; 2011-11-12 at 03:18 PM.

I'm personally betting on a fourth token.
    Don't know how it would work, exactly, but that's my guess.

Druid (4)
    Paladin (3)
    Shaman (3)
    Monk (3)
    Death Knight (2)
    Warrior (2)
    Priest (2)
    Mage (1)
    Hunter (1)
    Warlock (1)
    Rogue (1)

Druid, Mage, Shaman (8)
    Paladin, Death Knight, Warlock, Rogue (7)
    Monk, Warrior, Priest, Hunter (8)
    Last edited by Vaude; 2011-11-12 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Derped on some math. ty Sqeez.

I still think every class should just share 1 token and its given to the people who earned it in the guild. 10 man could drop 2 tokens while 25 droped 4 or 5 and they would be distributed to whoever needs it. Adding a 4th token or just adding the monk class to one of the existing 3 tokens is stupid. It causes RNG and panic, not to mention what if a paladin token drops one day and there is nobody who needs it but the shaman needs his token?
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Why not just 1 token for all classes? that way the 10 man guilds cant QQ and it wouldnt change much for 25 man guilds.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaude View Post
    Druid (4)
    Paladin (3)
    Shaman (3)
    Monk (3)
    Death Knight (2)
    Warrior (2)
    Priest (2)
    Mage (1)
    Hunter (1)
    Warlock (1)
    Rogue (1)

Druid, Mage, Hunter, Rogue (7)
    Paladin, Shaman, Monk, Warlock (7)
    Death Knight, Warrior, Priest (6)

?

3+3+3+1 !=7

Quote Originally Posted by Sqeez View Post
    ?

3+3+3+1 !=7
    I can fix it:
    Druid, Death Knight, Mage, Rogue (8)
    Paladin, Priest, Warlock, Hunter (7)
    Warrior, Shaman, Monk (8)

Notable: Only hunters change token...

I like this thread, it raises interesting ideas. One thing though is that even though technically Monk has 3 specs, tank, heal and dps, much like cat and bear druid won't the dps spec use largely the same gear the tank spec uses? Agi leather, for both specs, afaik.

Now this raises a whole new question, will Blizz make a tier 14 token that says "As a tank you get THIS set bonus, as dps you get THIS one"? Or will there be a 3rd set bonus and thusly third set.

Quote Originally Posted by furriusmurrius View Post
    I like this thread, it raises interesting ideas. One thing though is that even though technically Monk has 3 specs, tank, heal and dps, much like cat and bear druid won't the dps spec use largely the same gear the tank spec uses? Agi leather, for both specs, afaik.

Now this raises a whole new question, will Blizz make a tier 14 token that says "As a tank you get THIS set bonus, as dps you get THIS one"? Or will there be a 3rd set bonus and thusly third set.
    Just from the descriptions we have now of the monk class, it will most likely 3 diff set bonuses like paladins.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

He must have forgot one of the 3 lol. Also, do you think the druid will have 4 set or they will keep the agi set as a tank/dps set? Cause I'm sure they will not come back with the agi tank set... but now there will be 2 classes that could use it, who know...

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Just from the descriptions we have now of the monk class, it will most likely 3 diff set bonuses like paladins.
    Sure, sure. It sounds logical when you put it like that. But the last few set boni for feral cat vs feral dps have not necessitated a different token, just a different spec to be active (or in this case form, IE when in cat you get this) I seriously doubt that Blizzard will make two different sets. Let's look at it:

T13 Monk tanking shoulder
    1 billion agi
    4000 crit
    20,000 stam

2 set: after you punch something you go 'rar' and get extra health for 20 seconds

T13 Monk dps shoulder
    1 billion agi
    4000 crit
    20,000 stam

2 set: after you kick something you go 'squeee' and get increased damage for 15 seconds

In the past, similar specs were forced to share a token even if the itemization is the same and, thusly, less attractive for one spec.

Feral bear and car have had tier with haste when haste is ugly to bears
    Disc and holy have had tier where one of the specs had unnattractive stats to deal with\

Both of these specs are completely different in playstyle BUT the largely same stats used caused blizzard to make a basic token with 2 different sets of boni depending on the spec you are in and the spells you are casting.

Quote Originally Posted by furriusmurrius View Post

The bigger question is, given that Druids are going 4 spec, is Blizz going to make "Tank Leather" and "DPS Leather" or keep it the way it is now, with Tier Agi Leather giving set bonuses to both Tank and DPS (I hope it stays this way... I don't want to deal with that many different types of drops).

That's the question here. Will they keep the 1 set for two specs, or give each spec it's own set with it's own boni.
    But regardless of that, the tokens would look the same, just the numbers of specs are different.
    And still, only hunter needs to be moved.

Each spec 1 set will could look like this:
    Druid, Death Knight, Mage, Rogue (8)
    Warrior, Shaman, Monk (8)

And if we give leather wearer one tanking/melee set, instead of a tanking and melee set;
    Druid, Death Knight, Mage, Rogue (7)
    Warrior, Shaman, Monk (7)
    Last edited by Kaesebrezen; 2011-11-12 at 03:53 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes druid is still considered three since Druid can only wear leather armor right now only gives agi to it.

As for Monk class they have 3 spec but they are like druids who wears leather to for tanking, most probably agi stat and would use evasion as mode of tanking or damage reduction, monk dps spec using agi leather to dp, or healer using leather/cloth with int on it.
    Last edited by vertigo12; 2011-11-12 at 04:12 PM.

The only logical answer is for them to add another class before release so we have a number evenly divisible by three.

I don't see how specs affect tier tokens. If there's a class in the raid that can use it he/she rolls on it non dependant on spec. Also don't see how adding a 4th token to the other 2 ones would cause "panic". It is already quite unbalanced currently (4 last hc raid weeks and we only saw rouge tokens drop, not that I mind as a rogue to be honest ) with another 4 class one it would make it a bit more even, sure the remaining 3 class one would have a lower drop rate but meh...you could make it 35%/35%/30% or something similar. The thing that would real chaos is to only make 1 token. For a raid that has the same 10 people every time it wouldn't be such a problem but when you rotate some people around based on sign ups ...now that's when things get complicated.
    What they could do is make the current valor points raid exclusive or tier exclusive to be precise. That way you could still do daily heroics and such and get points to buy vendor epics but you could only get tier points in raids. Also maybe make the shoulder/helmet buyable from vendors as well but only if you have downed X or Y boss.

Even though they're splitting the 2 feral trees I'm interested to see if they'll actually split the armor sets or keep them as one with different set bonuses. THis also leaves me curious about the monk ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Imo, it would be better to have classes with the same armor type as the same tier tokens... (they already compete much)...

Like:
    Mage Paladin Monk =7
    Priest Death Knight Druid Hunter =8
    Warlock Warrior Rogue Shaman = 7

This way, all pures are spread as much as possible, all armor types are spread and the number of classes and speccs are as similar as it can get.
    Mage and warlock can be swapped. DK and Warrior can be swapped. And monk and druid can be swapped, should you feel adjusting it:P
    video game companies: *makes game with female/LGBT characters*

dudebros: wHAT HTe fUCK IS THSI SOCIAL ,.JUSITICE SHI.,,T,,...,.I canNOT,, BELEIVVB nnOT BYINHG...,

10+ Year Old Account
    One token to rule them all
    One raid to find them
    One winner to bring them
    And at the vendor bind them