What processor should i get?

Hi! Im thinking about buying a new processor in the near future like 2-6 months and my system spec (from speccy) are here
    Operative-system
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    AMD Athlon II X4 645 26 °C
    Propus 45nm Technology
    RAM
    4,00 GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard
    MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD 770-C45 (MS-7599) (CPU 1) 37 °C
    Graphics
    BenQ G2220HD (1920x1080@60Hz)
    AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series (ATI AIB) 46 °C
    Harddrives
    977GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device (SATA) 25 °C
    Optic Units
    MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000
    TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222AB ATA Device
    Sound
    High Definition Audio Device

For some reason, it doesn't say specifically what graphics card i have but i have a HD radeon 6770, now i know that my processor bottlenecks my computer so it needs to be changed asap and i will want to have an AMD processor to work well with my AMD GPU so what is the way to go? Is there any new releases incomming etc? I could see my self buying a processor for between 200-300 bucks or so. Thanks in advance

Deleted
    Spend $300 on an i3 2100 , some random H61/67 motherboard and 4gb of any old 1600mhz DDR3 dual channel ram as you are wasting your money buying naything from AMD right now. The whole "i need AMD CPU to work with my AMD GPU is a myth your GPU will work exactly the same with the Intel kit. You will gain a silly amount of performance in WoW with the i3 that will have you out yer seat doing a wee jig just for the fun of it :P

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well lets clear up some info for ya first. The myth that you need an AMD processor to run an AMD Radeon video card is false. Having an AMD processor will not allow your AMD graphics card to run better than if you were using an Intel CPU. The only time an AMD CPU / GPU combo works well is for hybrid crossfire and even that is a flawed system.

Now for the really good info. You have two options here. You can go with an upgraded AMD Phenom II X4 processor which will give you a pretty good bump in performance. Or you can go with option two which is a new motherboard, CPU, and memory but this time with Intel. See below for pricing and benchmarks.

Option one:
    CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4Ghz Quad Core $129.99
    Benchmark comparison of AMD Athlon II X4 645 vs AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

With this option you will see an estimated difference of 20% higher FPS.

Option two:
    CPU - Intel i3 2120 3.3Ghz Dual Core $129.99
    Motherboard - MSI H67MA-E35 Socket 1155 $84.99
    Memory - Reuse your 4GB DDR3
    Total - $214.98
    Benchmark comparison of AMD Athlon II X4 645 vs Intel i3 2100

With this option you gain the following:
    - Further upgrade path as this board will support the next generation of Intel Ivybridge CPU's (With a BIOS update)
    - Up to 35FPS higher than the previous AMD Athlon 645 (FPS increase will vary by game)

This is the CPU support List for the MSI 770-C45 Motheboard:
    http://www.msi.com/product/mb/770-C4...div=CPUSupport

Phenom II x4 965 BE OC'd is probably your best value for a Quad on that board.

The HD6770 is on the lower end of mid-range gaming cards. It's really just AMD's last generation 5770 retagged with tweaked firmware. I'm not convinced that your current CPU is a bottleneck for it, or that any small gains you might see from the CPU upgrade would be worthwhile.
    Last edited by Dizey; 2011-11-12 at 09:20 PM.

Deleted
    His CPU is really weak in WoW terms. The propus Athlon's were never meant for gaming and lack of L3 cache and old architecture just wont cut it any more. I really do believe buying a band-aid CPU like the Phenom II x4 is the worst way the op could spend his money and instead go for the i3 set-up like me and Culadin mentioned as he will have the choice of an upgrade in the future (well the next few years at least).

10+ Year Old Account
    i5 2500k is supposed to be great.

For the least amount of money and biggest upgrade for sub $200 a 955-980 Black edition will cost $110-$170 so any cpu in that line will vary from $110-$170 being the 980 BE. This will fit your current mobo meaning no replacements other than the cpu. Your board is somewhat limited to basically the 980 BE being the best it can handle.

Other options would be as said a new board and cpu, i.e the i3-2100, now they say upgrade path and this is true assuming you buy a board worth upgrading on. I myself would not take a $100 Mobo and drop a $300+ brand spanking new i5 ivy in it next year. Now with a $200-$300 area id personally grab another $50 or so and get an i5-2500(k) and a p67 or z68 mobo and slap those in it and be well on my way.

Really depends on your future plans. If your looking for a quick band aid for a bit before just buying something new later than updating the AMD cpu would be cost efficient as it gets. Grabbing an i3 and mobo would be stupid unless your going to get a good mobo and use it later in a new build.

I'm more looking at the future like in 1-2 years or so but when will they make the next Intel core processor and what do you expect the price to be? And does an Intel core i3 really beat my processor that much? I mean, I really don't know so much but shouldn't my processor at least beat that i3 because at least the athlon is a quad core?:S And yet another thing: Does anyone know if it works good to buy at amazon for example if you are from Sweden like i do? Is the delivering times good etc? Thanks for all the answers and i hope i caan get some more answered

Quote Originally Posted by Flamesofhell138 View Post
    I'm more looking at the future like in 1-2 years or so but when will they make the next Intel core processor and what do you expect the price to be? And does an Intel core i3 really beat my processor that much? I mean, I really don't know so much but shouldn't my processor at least beat that i3 because at least the athlon is a quad core?:S And yet another thing: Does anyone know if it works good to buy at amazon for example if you are from Sweden like i do? Is the delivering times good etc? Thanks for all the answers and i hope i caan get some more answered
    The i3 destroys it in games.. by miles.
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/188?vs=289
    Scroll down to the game benchmarks and see for yourself
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.