Am I going to hate Skyrim?

So I'm sitting here staring at Steam wondering if I should get Skyrim. I hated Morrowwind and Oblivion so much, the combat was clunky and derpy and the animations always annoyed me. I've never been a DnD fan, so I've also never been a fan of the fantasy settings, I play WoW but WoW almost feels like another type of genre - not necessarily traditional fantasy.

Is Skyrim much different than Morrowwind or Oblivion, as far as combat mechanics go and the setting? I've been watch all the video and reviews and other threads, but I can't get an accurate feel of it. I'd love to try it and have it be fun, but I'm not in the mood to waste $60 if it's just going to be another let down for me like it's predecessors were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragelicious View Post
    Mute yourself. You happen to be dumb atm.

Just going to say beforehand, I've loved both Oblivion and Skyrim, and haven't played Morrowind, so I'm biased.

That said, it's more of the same. I don't think you'll magically like the game, since it's basically the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I think it's fantastic, but it only improves upon what it's done. If you're looking for a new game, you're probably not going to get that with Skyrim. I do, however, like the combat more, the animations are a lot better (still a little meh, but I don't recognize them unless I'm actively thinking "how are the animations?") so...yeah. Probably best to save $60.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be honest with you, if you really HATED Oblivion and Morrowind, and I mean hated practically every aspect of them, then I don't think Skyrim will be the game for you. While it is a fucking stellar game and the improvements from OB and MW are spectacular, it is, in effect, a quite similar game design, which is to be expected I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

I regret buying it. I played warrior and the fighting is just so boring (atleast at the early stages). After a few hours of playing I looked up on the Internet some previews and it seems like its just me who hates skyrim because it has like 90-100% everywhere. Also I dont like the graphics it is just bad and I play on max settings :/ Give it a try you might like it but this is my experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    ye pretty much what the others have said. I think its really good and its improved on oblivion and morrowind. HOWEVER it is essentially more of the same with better graphics. Although i must admit im a bit dissapointed with the facial expressions of the npcs, thought it was going to be much more improved than what oblivion was. So if you hated oblivion, and got annoyed with oblivions animations I would not buy it. Chances are that you will not like this one either.

Quote Originally Posted by barricade_ View Post
    I regret buying it. I played warrior and the fighting is just so boring (atleast at the early stages). After a few hours of playing I looked up on the Internet some previews and it seems like its just me who hates skyrim because it has like 90-100% everywhere. Also I dont like the graphics it is just bad and I play on max settings :/ Give it a try you might like it but this is my experience.
    I don't get this line of thinking. First off, what do you expect graphics to look like? Skyrim looks pretty good. And secondly, graphics do not make a game. You listed boring being a negative, yet you admit you only played "a few hours". Yeah, most games aren't OMG AMAZING the first hour. Usually it take a bit to get going. And remember, there's more than one playing style. Perhaps play a theif? A mage? A necromancer? etcetcetc. And why did you wait until you bought it to look at the reviews of the game? I think that it would be better if you read before you bought the game...

I'm playing it right now and I don't care for the game. Oblivion I shut down most of the gates before I was bored and just stopped playing. I don't know but these games are not all that they're hyped to be.

Except for the graphics part... Maybe you have issues with your setup. This is one of the most beautiful games to date. And I never use that word :P

Also I dont like the graphics it is just bad and I play on max settings
    I...I just don't...Seriously?!

Here's the deal about Skyrim.

It's an Elder Scrolls game. It's not about edge-of-your-seat, white-knuckle exciting gameplay. It's about immersion and atmosphere. It's about the game world. In fact, combat plays a fairly small part in the overall gameplay experience, as with any other Elder Scrolls game.

The combat in Skyrim is NOT as HUGE of an upgrade over Oblivion that Oblivion's combat was over Morrowind. Playing Morrowind after playing Oblivion really makes you realize just how bad combat was in Morrowind. That being said, magic combat is a lot more interesting this go around. Not to mention how VASTLY improved the spell effects are over Oblivion's. The melee combat has a few decent upgrades to. It seems like the whole first-person melee combat thing is a love it or hate it sort of deal among modern gamers, and Elder Scroll's third person gameplay's never been impressive (though it is improved a bit this go around).

Melee combat, archery and stealth gameplay has some improvements, and the perks really do make things a lot more interesting as far as those gameplay elements goes.

If you find walking around, getting to know the world, getting to know the people, taking in the scenery and just living in a breathing fantasy setting boring, then Skyrim is not for you. If you hated Morrowind and Oblivion, there's no real reason for you to even try Skyrim.

It sounds like Elder Scrolls just isn't your cup of tea. There's plenty of other great games that have come out or are coming out soon. Hell, I think this is the first time ever IGN has given more than one 10 in a single year.

Deleted
    I tell you what. If you despise exploration and taking your time, trying to enjoy travelling and questing, than this game is not for you. This game rewards your the deeper you go into it and if you know you are going to get tired of it after 10h, then stay away.

In principle, it's like Minecraft. It, much like minecraft, possesses great potential when it comes to explore and be creative. But, if you don't have the patience to put up with it, then it will disappoint you.

How can anyone say I play this game on max settings and the graphics are bad? What game do you play that has better ones.. none.

I borrowed it from a buddy for the xBox, gonna give it a shot right now. I'm really looking for a slow, methodical and immersive game so here's to hoping. And thanks for the replies, everyone pretty much confirmed what I was thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragelicious View Post
    Mute yourself. You happen to be dumb atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    1st off please use one of the mega threads for questions like this. Just reading through it you can see everything everyone will say in here.

2nd, I hated all the other Elder Scrolls games. They just felt too open and like every single thing you had to do was a huge boring task. I'm 25 hours into Skyrim and only on the 4th part of the main quest, and none of it has felt like Morrowind or Oblivion. They have improved it 500% for my personal preference. Read through all the threads and their forums, and you'll easily be able to see if the game is for you or not.