Page 1 of 2
LastLast

HAF X - Slanted chassis - Cannot align screw holes

Did anyone buy a Coolermaster HAF X chassis (or maybe any other model) that the chassis was somewhat slanted, and the screw holes of the chassis back panel and the PCI cards (graphics or any other) would not align? You have to either bend the back panel or force the card - which I think will cause problems down the road.

What did you do in this situation? I found a similar thing in their forums - they advise replacement I guess. Crooks in newegg want me to pay the return shipment as well...

That's why ordering from TigerDirect is always a better option that NewEgg.

They can't make you pay the return shipping on an item that arrived damaged.

Same for amazon - they give you the shipping label right away... I am done with newegg now - unless there is significant savings or something I cannot buy from somewhere else, I will pay $5-10 even more and buy from amazon.

Apparently, they issue a prepaid return label if you call them... But nowhere in the website it says if you call you might receive a prepaid shipping label. Actually when you create a return it gives you a link to UPS to create a return label and pay for it. Crooks.

This is damaged product? It behaved much the same for me when I was to install a GTX 580 in a HAF X.

I never really notice it on my HAF X but now that I think about it, the back screws for one one of the side panels does have a problem with the holes. Not that big of a deal for me to want to get it replaced, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    This is damaged product? It behaved much the same for me when I was to install a GTX 580 in a HAF X.
    On coolermaster support forum, their representative said it is a faulty product and they advised replacement. You can see the pictures on that forum too ( this is not mine, but mine is exactly same with how this one looks)

http://forum.coolermaster.com/viewto...t&sd=a&start=0

Quote Originally Posted by Adorada View Post
    I never really notice it on my HAF X but now that I think about it, the back screws for one one of the side panels does have a problem with the holes. Not that big of a deal for me to want to get it replaced, though.

How bad it is really depends on how slanted the chassis is... The problem is if you have to force the card to be able to screw, and screw it that way - either you bend the card or something, or its PCI connectors do not sit in their slot properly. Or you might just leave it as it is without screwing. For the first scenario you damage the card somewhat, or since it is not connected properly the behavior is not stable. For second case - I am not even sure it would be good not to screw such a heavy card.

I had this same issue on my first ever built pc, however it was not me who put the parts together. A year later I noticed what they did. They forced my graphic card, to be able to screw. And all other cards I tried to install would have misalignment problems. That graphics card was never stable, I noticed that after a year or so.
    Last edited by xenopain; 2011-11-14 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xenopain View Post
    On coolermaster support forum, their representative said it is a faulty product and they advised replacement. You can see the pictures on that forum too ( this is not mine, but mine is exactly same with how this one looks)

http://forum.coolermaster.com/viewto...t&sd=a&start=0
    I honestly didn't realize it was faulty. :P It took some work fixing it in place, but I haven't heard anything from the owner of the machine thus far.

I'll def. have to take a look when I get home (in a couple of hours) to see if mine has the same problem (judging from the pics on the CM forum, it looks like I might). I probably didn't notice it since I have a 6970 card and so it takes up 2 PCIe slots and it seemed to fit fine. I have to take the case out anyways to clean the dust off. I'll try to report what I find.
    Last edited by Adorada; 2011-11-14 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I honestly didn't realize it was faulty. :P It took some work fixing it in place, but I haven't heard anything from the owner of the machine thus far.
    well at least coolermaster admits that it is a fault... you wouldnt get that from a shitty chassis brand of course... but if you pay close to $200 - you have a right to expect it

and in any case i wouldnt think to look it up and check if it was not for my previous experience on similar problem.
    Last edited by xenopain; 2011-11-14 at 08:01 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mine kind of does this, but not too badly, and everything still works just fine, so I don't care too much.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Mine kind of does this, but not too badly, and everything still works just fine, so I don't care too much.
    I'm in the same boat. The thumb screw holes don't line up perfectly, however it hasn't been much of a probelm. It did require another set of hands to hold in the first 580 while the card was screwed into place. In addition the thumb screw hole on the bottom window side of my case barely match up. That one is a PITA to screw in. Do side doors on cases ever have thumb screws that work? One thing I liked about my old Thermaltake case was that the side of the case had latches instead of thumb screws. I wish more manufacturers would employ that idea for their future cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    There’s even been a John Oliver segment on it.

Heh, Ace Ecco 420 had that, which was some cheap'o case I had till the level 10 GT.

I just did my build in Haf-X and I did notice that it was a bit hard to get the screws in for the video card. I had to push on the back of the case to get the screws in.

Also as far as newegg being crooks, I had to pay $23 to ship the brand new video card that was dead out of the base back to them to get replaced. They better not charge me to ship it back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yobtar View Post
    I just did my build in Haf-X and I did notice that it was a bit hard to get the screws in for the video card. I had to push on the back of the case to get the screws in.

Also as far as newegg being crooks, I had to pay $23 to ship the brand new video card that was dead out of the base back to them to get replaced. They better not charge me to ship it back to me.
    As I wrote before, in such a case after creating an RMA (return) if you call them or go on live chat, they issue you a prepaid shipping label - I learned that today when I went on live chat to argue about it. I have not seen any indication that they did that in the return page however.

For the case issue, I did not know it was such a common problem... Maybe a batch of all cases are slanted like that... I dont know but it is a serious issue if you askme. Did you look at the pictures in that forum? Do your cards sit in their slots properly or they are kinda half in half out?

10+ Year Old Account
    It really depends on what time of screw thingy your (whatever kind of) card you're adding in has. Some of the ones they were showing didn't have actual holes, but rather cut out parts on the top, so yes, they're likely to get pushed by the screw instead of secured into place, that's just bad practice for whatever manufacturer made said card. Personally my MSI TFII 560 Ti is sitting in there snug, albeit, the back panel of the GPU (the I/O plate I believe it's called) is slightly tugged away from the card, but it's very secure.
    "A flower.

It really depends on what time of screw thingy your (whatever kind of) card you're adding in has. Some of the ones they were showing didn't have actual holes, but rather cut out parts on the top, so yes, they're likely to get pushed by the screw instead of secured into place, that's just bad practice for whatever manufacturer made said card. Personally my MSI TFII 560 Ti is sitting in there snug, albeit, the back panel of the GPU (the I/O plate I believe it's called) is slightly tugged away from the card, but it's very secure.
    No it is not an issue with how the holes are placed - those apparently have some standards. The real problem is that the back panel of the chassis is not at a 90 degree angle with the side panel. You can see there is a slight space between the card and the back panel, in one of those pictures. If you remove everything and put in an A4 paper - you will still see there is a slight crevice left between the edge of paper and the back panel.

see this one:

I loosely suspect the case may be either poorly auto-manufactured, or just done by human hands. D:

10+ Year Old Account
    Again I'll say, yes that's true, in fact it's true with my case, however my GPU is made well enough where it is not a problem. However I suggest if someone does have an issue with it to do an RMA.
    "A flower.

Again I'll say, yes that's true, in fact it's true with my case, however my GPU is made well enough where it is not a problem. However I suggest if someone does have an issue with it to do an RMA.
    I guess somewhat you managed to get it properly in, or your case was a bit more better shaped then these are. The thing is in both of those - pictures in cooler master forum and picture i posted - the cards are msi twinfrozr cards - like yours - just the chip is different. I dont think you can fix it by making better cards. In any case having cutout pieces is better than having holes, as it gives more space to move your card and screw so that you can actually fix it in properly enve if there was a slight angle. In the case of a just a single hole - when you cannot align the hole on the i/o panel to the hole on the chassis than you would not even be able to fix the card in place at all as you wouldnt have a leeway to move the card around.
    Last edited by xenopain; 2011-11-15 at 02:11 PM.