Memory: 8192MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 470
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_06CD&SUBSYS_079F10DE&REV_A3
    Display Memory: 4064 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 1248 MB

Hello there! My name is Maddi and I really need help finding an upgrade for my graphics card. I have NEVER brought a graphics card before! Usually I just have my Dad or a friend do it for me but this time, I would like to shop for my own card. Sadly, I have no idea what to look for in a graphics card, what makes it good or bad, etc... So I am turning to the hardware geniuses at MMORPG for help and advice!

I am looking for a card that can play WoW, MW3, Skyrim, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2, TERA, and of course, Crysis 2 on Ultra settings! I can spend anywhere from $100 to $350 but I would love to get the best deal of course!

Some questions I have are:

If you get a really amazing graphics card, do you need an equally good processor? Do they have an affect on eachother?

Can I have two graphics cards? My current one and my new one.

So if you have any extra time, please help me find a new card! Thanks!

Buy a 560 ti? Or another 470, also you can only use two identical cards.

The 560 Ti would be more akin to a sidegrade rather than upgrade. Downgrade in VRAM-heavy games.

Depending on your motherboard and especially airflow in your case, a second GTX 470 is a solid option. That way, you can use two graphic cards as well. BUT. Since you have a GTX 470, it will only work with another GTX 470. And the best upgrade for the money spent.
    The CPU is fine, but if you want more performance in Wow mainly, overclocking it will be your best bet.

Does your motherboard support SLI?

If it does, and you have adequate air flow in your case, as in more than just one 120MM blurring in the front to cool off your HDD or something, you should get another GTX470. If you're not sure about any of it, ask your dad or friend, if they say no or you can determine you don't have adequate conditions for an SLI setup, go with a GTX560 Ti.

You should have no problems running any of those games on ultra with a 470.
    Getting anything less than a 580, or a 2nd 470 for sli (assuming your motherboard and power supply support sli 470's), would be a waste.

For WoW/Tera/GW2/SWTOR getting an i5-2500k (and p67/z68 motherboard) would be a much better use of your money... and wait to upgrade the gpu when the 600 series comes out (or amd 7000 series).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Thank you so much! Any suggestions for a good processor between $200 and $350? It is a little dumb to upgrade this card I guess! Thanks everybody!! <3 <3 Any processor suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by maddi123 View Post
    Thank you so much! Any suggestions for a good processor between $200 and $350? It is a little dumb to upgrade this card I guess! Thanks everybody!! <3 <3 Any processor suggestions?
    i5-2500k @ $215 is the single best gaming cpu.
    Then grab a good motherboard to go with it (can't use your current one, doesn't have the right socket).
    You can get both in your budget
    There are cheaper motherboards you can get if you want to save some money, but that one has an extremely good feature set for the price.. definitely worth it imo.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

i5 2500 is a beautiful CPU, you'd probably need to upgrade your motherboard too, but considering you're expertise, I don't think you're planning to overclock, so you'd be fine with this H67.

If you are, just get the 2500k and a Z68 equivalent to the aforementioned motherboard.
    Last edited by Adsertif; 2011-11-13 at 10:11 PM.