Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry $59.99 + $14.99 a month...worth the cost?

The wife is asking what I want for Christmas and I am giving serious thought to asking for this game. For those that have actually played the game (in beta, at expose, etc) do you think it is worth the cost?

I'd like to avoid hypotheticals and speculation based on youtube videos that anyone has access to so I'd like to hear from those who have actually played.

Also, I am not a WoW player and never going back (characters deleted, account given away) so no TOR vs WoW please.

Yeah you can easily get 30+ hours out of it without a doubt. Any more than that remains to be seen!

10+ Year Old Account
    No one that has played is allowed to tell you anything about it. Other than that they have played it.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    it lacks staying power for me. Just cause i say its not for me doesnt mean its not for you. I personally like it only cause its, well,, STAR WARS. Other than that fact, i wouldnt buy it, but i am cause its STAR WARS. I will still raid on the weekends and do my dailies in wow, nothing changes but for the most part ill be in SWTOR
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-11-13 at 08:42 PM.

Other people aren't you. Buy it, give it a shot and if you decide it's not for you then drop it. If the extra $15 is a game changer for you to try it for a month I'd suggest some heavy modifications to your xmas list.

The first month comes with the game also, so you have a month to decide if it's worth it. So the real question is it worth $60 to try it out? In my opinion, based solely on the promotional material, yes.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamburger View Post
    No one that has played is allowed to tell you anything about it. Other than that they have played it.
    and yes you can talk about the game, you just cant talk about whats in the game

10+ Year Old Account
    Wish I could tell you stuff about the game, but I'm just not allowed to cause of the NDA. I suppose it comes down to, are you looking for a replacement to wow? Then yes, it probably would be a good idea. Infact, any MMO may be a good idea to fill that gap. Not looking for something to fill wow's gap? Then it probably isn't, go use that present/money on something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...
    Check me out on youtube! Playthroughs of Diablo 3, Minecraft and many other games with daily content!

Only actual game play will tell you the answer to this question. And since people who are in beta are not allowed to say much you are most likely going to have to find out first hand.

Also even if you did speak with a beta player their input is after all their own opinion and yours may vary greatly.

My reasoning has always been, buy a ps3 game for 60$, play it for a week, pay 14$ a month, play it for years

10+ Year Old Account
    The money for the purchase includes a month, so it's worth it even if you play a few hours a week only during that included month. It's very similar to WoW in it's interface and stuff, but it goes farther into questing and the story with each one. I've played some of the jedi consular and it's fun. Combat is pretty fluid, you can pick up lightsabers before level 10 and there is a vast variety of quests to keep things moving. If you enjoyed your time with WoW, I can only say give it a shot.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mabaroshi View Post
    My reasoning has always been, buy a ps3 game for 60$, play it for a week, pay 14$ a month, play it for years
    One week what? I got friends playing COD for about 50 days played and all they paid is 60 dollars. Just go with GW 2, 60 dollars and no fcuking subscription

10+ Year Old Account
    Very worth it.

If you enjoy a game with story, this one has 8 different stories each taking around the 200 hour mark to complete. Them there's the whole MMO side of it on top of that.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mabaroshi View Post
    This is the main problem i face, I stopped buying console games a few years back because I would blow through them in a few days to a few weeks...only one lasted me more than a month. If I can get more than a month of entertainment out of it I'd say it is worth the cost. That said, I'm not a huge SW fan (I like it, just not a true 'fan') so the brand name is not a selling point for me.

wait a few months for the price to come down & some bugs to be ironed out & servers to get stable after the initial launch rush. or buy the game :P

10+ Year Old Account
    games amazing, if you arent sure you can preorder it for 5 dollars down, try it during the early release phase, if you arent amazed just cancel the preorder and get your 5 bucks back
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    Trollsbane, Jedi sodomist.

Quote Originally Posted by Himora View Post
    wait a few months for the price to come down & some bugs to be ironed out & servers to get stable after the initial launch rush. or buy the game :P
    If they're cutting prices within a few months of launch it usually means they think the game is in trouble.

Get it. The story and the whole thing is amazing! Definitely a refreshing view on MMO's that will hold me over till MoP.

Quote Originally Posted by dlouhys View Post
    If they're cutting prices within a few months of launch it usually means they think the game is in trouble.
    dunno about that, christmas sales, launching into other countries so most dont have to pay the extreme amazon shipping fee's, all sorts of reasons.. well hoping atleast :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    One week what? I got friends playing COD for about 50 days played and all they paid is 60 dollars. Just go with GW 2, 60 dollars and no fcuking subscription
    Well if you want to play those games and you like them, it's your turn. An MMO is of course a lot more complicated and offers a lot more content and interaction than a shooter.

I hate those shooters and never bothered for more than a few weeks. Diablo 2 and WoW are the only games that lasted more than a few months for me and SW Tor could be the third.
    Last edited by mmoc4ec7d51a68; 2011-11-13 at 09:25 PM.