Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry Anybody else get invited to weekend testing and not get to play?

I was so excited when I got an email last thursday about being selected for testing. I immediately logged in, started downloading the client and then got to patching. "20 gigs" I thought. "Should be able to play by Saturday!" Thursday turned into Friday, turned into Saturday, turned into Sunday... and the client still wasn't fully downloaded. I just checked today, Monday, and now it's downloading English Assets, in excess of 7 gigs. Since the weekend is over, I just cancelled it. I'm feeling really bitter. I really hate my net right now. I only get 60 kb/s, which is by far enough to play WoW, be on Ventrilo, and I'm sure it's enough for SW:TOR too, but obviously, when it comes to downloading videos, patches, etc it just doesn't cut it. I can't get cable or DSL where I live, this is as good as it gets.

Has anyone else had the misfortune to be in the same boat? :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry to hear about that man. I would have been in the same boat, but on Thursday I was on my college campus, so when I read the email I skipped my last class for the day and spent the next 6 hoours downloading in the librabry.
    "I'll tell you something, my Tenchi, you know the carnival comes and goes. But if you wait for a while, it'll always come back to you, Tenchi."~Ryoko TENCHIxRYOKO FTW!

"The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.
    The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined. The crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.

Deleted
    Well you must have a very slow connection. The servers can easily go for 4mb/s (did for me, 30Mbit connection), so that's 4 minutes per Gigabyte. 20 GB means you need about 80 minutes.

Even at 1mb/s it needs less than 6 hours, which is easily done over night.

And for those with a really slow connection: get a friend with a good connection, get him to download it and then copy the full installation on an external Disk.

And if cou can't do anything of it - well, then wait for the release to get your DVDs. There are enough beta testers so there are less waiting queues for all others.

Just dont worry just yet, you might get to play with the masses that got invited to the upcoming weekend test (not this weekend I think) Just download the client, and be ready for it. I read that you were able to play the new weekend beta using that client, you only have to patch it to the new build

Deleted
    I think everyone is invited for the upcomming weekend test, in europe, to stresstest. Its probably going to take place in 2 weeks+(thats my guess) check out the swtor devtracker =)

Goodluck, and sorry to hear you had no chance to play this time!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klatar View Post
    Well you must have a very slow connection. The servers can easily go for 4mb/s (did for me, 30Mbit connection), so that's 4 minutes per Gigabyte. 20 GB means you need about 80 minutes.

And for those with a really slow connection: get a friend with a good connection, get him to download it and then copy the full installation on an external Disk.

And if cou can't do anything of it - well, then wait for the release to get your DVDs. There are enough beta testers so there are less waiting queues for all others.
    As I mentioned in my post, I only download at 60 kb/s.

---------- Post added 2011-11-14 at 08:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alkzn View Post
    Just dont worry just yet, you might get to play with the masses that got invited to the upcoming weekend test (not this weekend I think) Just download the client, and be ready for it. I read that you were able to play the new weekend beta using that client, you only have to patch it to the new build
    This is good to hear, thanks. I'll make sure my client is patched up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnes View Post
    Not everyone got invited but i did WOOOOT
    Cool story, bro?

Infracted. - Buckwald
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2011-11-14 at 02:32 PM.

Deleted
    I got an invite then got really excited. Only realised on sunday after constant checking of the swtor site that it was testing for a "future weekend".

But yeah the download time sucks, they try and give people advanced warning of Beta but it doesnt always work out, they usually send out invites at the start of the week, if someone doesnt accept their invite then it gets passed onto another person. So maybe they should let people download around a week before.

Deleted
    I got the e-mail but couldn`t find out where to download or where to redeem my test code
    Was like a troll e-mail "congratulations blabla. end." no info whatsoever

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure there are plenty of people in the same boat as you. With such a massive download, I'm sure there were plenty of folks that have ISPs that have small bandwidth limits than the total download size which prevented them from playing. Its unfortunate, but at least the actual game comes out soonish. Hopefully you got the disc version and not a digital download.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bany View Post
    I got the e-mail but couldn`t find out where to download or where to redeem my test code
    You go to swtor.com/tester. If you're logged in, it will give you a link to download the game. If it doesn't it means that you are in the next batch of weekend testers either next week or the week after and it will show you your scheduled time soon. Yes, it was a horrible communication failure by Bioware. They have the technical aspects of game making down, but they really, really need to work on the customer service portion.
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-11-14 at 01:22 PM.

The e-mail was to inform you that you were selected for a current OR UPCOMING beta test, and not to attempt to receive or redeem a beta code from a partner gaming website, as this may make you ineligible for beta testing altogether. Reading is fundamental.

Edited: NDA
    Last edited by Xamota; 2011-11-14 at 01:25 PM.

Same thing happened to me. Couldn't figure out how to download anything and assumed it meant for some future date?

I was too busy playing wow excitedly awaiting pandas to take advantage of my invite.

You will get further information how to download and when the weekend will be with a futur e-mail and/or in your account. I suppose the test is NOT this weekend

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slumdarse View Post
    Same thing happened to me. Couldn't figure out how to download anything and assumed it meant for some future date?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xamota View Post
    The e-mail was to inform you that you were selected for a current OR UPCOMING beta test, and not to attempt to receive or redeem a beta code from a partner gaming website, as this may make you ineligible for beta testing altogether. Reading is fundamental.

Edited: NDA
    10characters

Infracted. If you need to bypass the 10 character minimum, you don't need to post it. Thanks. - Buckwald
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2011-11-14 at 02:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I'm sure there are plenty of people in the same boat as you. With such a massive download, I'm sure there were plenty of folks that have ISPs that have small bandwidth limits than the total download size which prevented them from playing. Its unfortunate, but at least the actual game comes out soonish. Hopefully you got the disc version and not a digital download.
    Oh yes, I've pre-ordered the collector's edition. I can't wait! Just wanted to get a taste ahead of time

---------- Post added 2011-11-14 at 08:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RatFanatic View Post
    Is it possible for you to move? Because I would consider if it my internet connection were that slow lol.
    Sadly not at this time, hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaldreno View Post

Sadly not at this time, hehe.
    Cool story, bro?

Infracted. - Buckwald
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2011-11-14 at 02:31 PM.
    It's like we are all Red Jelly Beans in a Jar full of various colors. Every now and then they reach in and get a Red Jelly Bean.
    We know we are in there, we can see the color, we just can't do anything to speed up our being taken out of the jar -- Jelly Beans can't speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Klatar View Post

Just feel the need to correct this mis-information.

1Mb =/ 1 MB
    8Mb = 1MB
    1Gb =/ 1GB
    8Gb = 1GB

Your 30 M "BIT" per second connection is running at 3.75 M "BYTES" per second. Hense 30 Mbps = 3.75 MBps. The game is measured in Gigabytes (GB). You need to do the math to see how quickly it will download. 3.75 MBps is 225 MB per minute, meaning you should be able to download the client in 88 minutes with a sustained connection.

The math on a 60 Kbps connection and 20 GB is as such. 60 Kbps= 7.5 KBps. In 3 minutes you will download 1.350 MB. In an hour you will download 27 MB. In a day you will download 648 MB. At that internet connection, assuming a sustained 60 Kbps it will take 30 days and change to download a 20 GB file....

Yeah thats painful.

Now if it is a 60 KBps connection and the Kbps is just a typo; the time it takes to download the file reduces to 3.85 days. Still painful.

Just a note; 60Kbps is dial up. If you are using a Ethernet port for internet you are probably running at 60 KBps and not 60 Kbps.
    Last edited by Elgand; 2011-11-14 at 02:36 PM.

Well, when you do the math 60KB per second works out to about 5GB per day and assuming it was consistent you may have had a shot at playing on Sunday if you started downloading as soon as you got the e-mail. As frustrating as that is just keep in mind in a month the game will be out on physical disks and you can start playing in a month. With so many games out now there's bound to be something out there to keep you busy until then.

I would check to see if there are any better/faster Internet Service Providers in your area. If not that defiantly sucks.