Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    No, the elem with daggers is NOT ranged, all their casts are very very short ranged, so they would need to be up in the fray in order to do any damage. That's why all the dagger atunements have a gap closer.

Scepter & Focus = Medium

Daggers = Short range

Staff = Long range
    Sorry, when I see "melee" I think "hitty hitty" with weapons. I see what you meant now though, they are closer range, they're just not stabbing people.

10+ Year Old Account
    i think i am the only one that enjoys mobs fleeing then calling for backup to make the odds against me instead of the mobs. thats the one thing ANet needs to ensure, that every mob puts up a fight. if you are not almost dying during the fight then they are doing something wrong. i don't want to be a bully in the game i want as even a fight as i can get, i want to give thanks for surviving after every encounter and not for snooze-festing through the encounter and only healing just to make sure the skill doesn't feel neglected
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

10+ Year Old Account
    At first I was skeptical, but this will let me using flashing blade more and I loooooove shadow stepping.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    i think i am the only one that enjoys mobs fleeing
    That's because all of the characters in your sig are ranged.
    As melee, mobs that run off with 5% health left, usually to agro another pack of 6 mobs, are incredibly frustrating.

The good thing is in GW2, all a melee character has to do is hit one button and they're a ranged class.
    (assuming they didn't derp out and equip 2 melee sets )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    That's because all of the characters in your sig are ranged.
    As melee, mobs that run off with 5% health left, usually to agro another pack of 6 mobs, are incredibly frustrating.

The good thing is in GW2, all a melee character has to do is hit one button and they're a ranged class.
    (assuming they didn't derp out and equip 2 melee sets )
    you don't get it. re-read what i said. i enjoy the mobs gong back AND aggroing more mobs, meaning i don't finish them off instead i intentionally let them go and call for back-up to make the fight more interesting.

Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    If you knew mobs were runners, it's not hard to save a big hitter or some stuns / cripples for the end. I never had this problem on my rogue in WoW or Assassin in GW.

Edit: I love the enhanced AI. Keeps PvE interesting!
    Last edited by MalazanFan; 2011-11-15 at 01:09 AM.

In real life if someone was beating on you with a mace to yo face, or hittin you with a sword, would you stand and take it or run away? I'd run. That may be just me. I personally look forward to this game more and more every day, and I have no doubt that it will not disappoint, especially with great AI like that on random NPC mobs.

It's like Anet asked themselves, "How can we make the mobs harder to kill without making them outright invincible?" and used every method imaginable to do so.

10+ Year Old Account
    i enjoy the mobs going back AND aggroing more mobs, meaning i don't finish them off instead i intentionally let them go and call for back-up to make the fight more interesting.
    o.0

Fair enough...

you don't get it. re-read what i said. i enjoy the mobs gong back AND aggroing more mobs, meaning i don't finish them off instead i intentionally let them go and call for back-up to make the fight more interesting.
    I'm the same way. I didn't do it on purpose often but man those times where you would accidentally pull the whole camp and it became a fight for your life every stun, bandage, and spell had to be perfectly used kiting off building and around trees, they would all fall one by one until the whole camp lay dead at your feet a sliver of health remaining all cooldowns blown.

I miss having to be careful when doing PvE. Even having to plan out quest mobs. It became so faceroll in the last couple years. I remember pulling groups of 2 or 3 mobs while leveling in vanilla and having to make a plan before hand, ok root that one, cripple the other one, kite them up the stairs jump down, place root again while nuking the first one.

Its fun when you barely pull off a pull. What wasn't fun was going in on my rogue in cata and pulling half the camp and not worrying about it in the slightest. I don't play WoW anymore. I never cared much for bleeding end raids so when they took the challenge out of every aspect but i lost complete interest.

Make mobs as hard as you like imo, as long as the reward matches the risk.

On the subject of AI there was an interview sometime back with Colin about AI/Aggro.

http://gw2ita.wordpress.com/review/i...-italian-blog/

They're looking to do some really awesome and varied stuff and not just in general but with specific mob types.

10+ Year Old Account
    YES! Let them come! Me and my pet hunger for more blood!! WE SHALL FEAST ON THEIR SOULS!!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trikki View Post
    Make mobs as hard as you like imo, as long as the reward matches the risk.
    Well, with the "downed state" system they have implemented now, I'm seeing that even if/when you risk death, you have a chance to not actually die, which is an improvement over most MMORPGs and regular RPGs.

Also, any update on Crafting skills? I haven't seen anything much on those except random people making random items in videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    Well, with the "downed state" system they have implemented now, I'm seeing that even if/when you risk death, you have a chance to not actually die, which is an improvement over most MMORPGs and regular RPGs.

Also, any update on Crafting skills? I haven't seen anything much on those except random people making random items in videos.
    Nothing as of yet and sadly the only video we do have is a guy who didn't quite grasp the concept. He was combining materials from different professions and even trying to use some of the same exact materials over and over expecting different results.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MalazanFan View Post
    If you knew mobs were runners, it's not hard to save a big hitter or some stuns / cripples for the end. I never had this problem on my rogue in WoW or Assassin in GW.

Edit: I love the enhanced AI. Keeps PvE interesting!
    This. I like the whole enhanced AI as well, makes leveling and ''grinding'' (if there is any in Gw2 at all) less boring and requires more attention from the player. As a thief, I can just save my dancing dagger and backstab or save my unload for when the mob gets low instead of spamming stuff when its ready.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah, it seems that more and more games are going carebear these days to increase the accessibility of the game for the masses. i was in the SWTOR beta over the weekend and i was so disappointed by the dungeon i did. the first boss was hard but in a gimmicky way (though it was still fun) and he wiped us a few times, then we squeaked through to victory, so we thought the rest of the instance was going to bump but it was so boring and we just facerolled everything, chain pulled, and even pulled 2 groups at once to make it more challenging but to no avail. what's sad is that you kill a mob and don't even realize it was a boss because it was that easy, so sad. i hope that ANet does not go that route, i want every encounter to feel like it could be my last if i let my guard down for even a second.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah, it seems that more and more games are going carebear these days to increase the accessibility of the game for the masses. i was in the SWTOR beta over the weekend and i was so disappointed by the dungeon i did. the first boss was hard but in a gimmicky way (though it was still fun) and he wiped us a few times, then we squeaked through to victory, so we thought the rest of the instance was going to bump but it was so boring and we just facerolled everything, chain pulled, and even pulled 2 groups at once to make it more challenging but to no avail. what's sad is that you kill a mob and don't even realize it was a boss because it was that easy, so sad. i hope that ANet does not go that route, i want every encounter to feel like it could be my last if i let my guard down for even a second.
    You may want to look into demon souls/ Dark souls because that fits exactly what you're looking for lol.

However, i have a feeling that anet isn't going to make the bosses carebear oriented, but that's more blind faith then having anything to back it up with.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I'm in exactly the same situation. Hopefully the overall SWTOR difficulty level will be increased before release. After the beta was done I went back to my normally scheduled viewing of GW2 videos on YouTube and watched the human starting area elemental boss. It's looks epic, and the fact that there are 10-20 people around the character fighting along makes it even cooler. I think if ANet can keep boss battles like that going throughout the entire story without them getting generic.... I'll just be thrilled.

These new AI improvements are just the beginning too, which is even more exciting to me. There is enormous potential for the types of challenges they can present to players. While the idea of mobs running at low health (EverQuest, and didn't UO have this on some mobs too?) I hope that they start running directly towards other mobs. It's not that huge of a feature, but I think it serves as a good teaching tool within the game early on. So when it starts happening in dungeons later on people will be more alert. A couple people may even need to put down a line of snares because the mob starts running at 50% health into another huge group of mobs. Inspires communication and just a higher level of game play, imo, than a lot of games have asked for from their players as of late.
    Last edited by fishious; 2011-11-15 at 06:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    You may want to look into demon souls/ Dark souls because that fits exactly what you're looking for lol.

However, i have a feeling that anet isn't going to make the bosses carebear oriented, but that's more blind faith then having anything to back it up with.
    ever since i started playing MMOs i have had very little inclination to play SP games unless they have a good co-op. the new Tomb Raider might make me play it if it lives up to it's trailer.

as far as ANet are concerned i think since there are not actual "quests" outside the Personal Story, they will just tell those who want more of a challenge to go after higher level mobs, i just hope that a difference of 1 level actually has significant meaning in the game otherwise things could carebear out again at level cap.

Quote Originally Posted by fishious View Post
    I'm in exactly the same situation. Hopefully the overall SWTOR difficulty level will be increased before release. After the beta was done I went back to my normally scheduled viewing of GW2 videos on YouTube and watched the human starting area elemental boss. It's looks epic, and the fact that there are 10-20 people around the character fighting along makes it even cooler. I think if ANet can keep boss battles like that going throughout the entire story without them getting generic.... I'll just be thrilled.

These new AI improvements are just the beginning too, which is even more exciting to me. There is enormous potential for the types of challenges they can present to players. While the idea of mobs running at low health (EverQuest, and didn't UO have this on some mobs too?) I hope that they start running directly towards other mobs. It's not that huge of a feature, but I think it serves as a good teaching tool within the game early on. So when it starts happening in dungeons later on people will be more alert. A couple people may even need to put down a line of snares because the mob starts running at 50% health into another huge group of mobs. Inspires communication and just a higher level of game play, imo, than a lot of games have asked for from their players as of late.
    another thing they could have are enraged mobs that go berserk in their last throws of life or maybe having mobs res each other if they are in groups of 3+. i am looking forward to seeing what else ANet can cook up.