SWTOR's Biggest Threat: Origin

I hate Origin. So far it's been nothing but pure grief. It's far worse than steam ever was. So far I've:

You're not connected (offline mode)
    Unable to connect to online services
    Freezing as I update my profile
    Freezing when I try and redeem a product code
    Page load error when I try and redeem a product code
    Invalid Username/pw (lol no)
    Origin server is currently unavailable. We may be experiencing a high load or maint.... blah blah
    Origin freezing on validating
    The Origin network could not be reached
    and that's only TODAY. Not only that, it doesn't show me preorder SWTOR (guessing I need to actually redeem my product code?).

DIE

Is there any other online retailer offering preload?
    Last edited by iggie; 2011-11-14 at 03:53 PM.

My exact thoughts.

The only thing SWTOR uses Origin for really is to purchase the game. Once you have the client you don't have to use Origin. So, if your having problems redeeming, use another method (ie buying it from BBY, WM, or GS)

why do people keep going on about Origin? HOW MANY TIME HAS IT BEEN STATED? YOU DO NOT NEED ORIGIN TO PLAY, YOU DON'T NEED ORIGIN TO DOWNLOAD THE GAME.

it's really simple. so many topics on this everywhere, when Bioware has already answered it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coro View Post
    The only thing SWTOR uses Origin for really is to purchase the game. Once you have the client you don't have to use Origin. So, if your having problems redeeming, use another method (ie buying it from BBY, WM, or GS)
    I live in China, bought it digital using my Canadian credit card. Having a box shipped from a friend in Canada would take roughly 1-2 weeks.

why do people keep going on about Origin? HOW MANY TIME HAS IT BEEN STATED? YOU DO NOT NEED ORIGIN TO PLAY, YOU DON'T NEED ORIGIN TO DOWNLOAD THE GAME.

it's really simple. so many topics on this everywhere, when Bioware has already answered it.
    Where else can I download it then? Let me log on the Bioware website, oh wait I can't it's blocked in China. I can't even redeem my code!

Deleted

Post constructively -3clipse
    Last edited by 3clipse; 2011-11-14 at 05:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    I live in China, bought it digital using my Canadian credit card. Having a box shipped from a friend in Canada would take roughly 1-2 weeks.

Where else can I download it then? Let me log on the Bioware website, oh wait I can't it's blocked in China. I can't even redeem my code!
    sounds like ur SoL atm. sorry to hear that

Quote Originally Posted by randomone05 View Post
    sounds like ur SoL atm. sorry to hear that
    Not if I can find somewhere else that will let me preload it...

A clever chinese friend of mine contacted people outside of china to do things on the internet that couldn't be done in china.

if you'll be able to play the game is another matter.

(and this isn't bioware's fault.)

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    A clever chinese friend of mine contacted people outside of china to do things on the internet that couldn't be done in china.

if you'll be able to play the game is another matter.

(and this isn't bioware's fault.)
    Your clever friend will still need to get the game on his computer. =| Game will be playable. High Ping Buster already told me they'd be adding new VPN servers wherever SWTOR's are located.

Deleted
    I hate Origin. So far it's been nothing but pure grief. It's far worse than steam ever was. So far I've:

and that's only TODAY. Not only that, it doesn't show me preorder SWTOR (guessing I need to actually redeem my product code?).

DIE
    Origin is still in BETA, and to be honest then Steam needs some competition - it's not healthy for customers in general to only have 1 choice. Having said that, it would be nice if you could buy a game from anywhere, and then choose which service (steam/origin/etc) that would serve as updater and DRM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Origin is not needed to run SWTOR.
    Origin is not needed to download SWTOR.
    Origin is not needed to update SWTOR.
    Origin doesn't need to be even installed to your computer to own SWTOR.

Origin simply is the store at which you purchased the game. Unless something significant changes, you shouldn't need Origin to play the game, download the game, or do anything involving the game. Yes Origin is filled with tons of problems and having something like that in "beta" after you have already released one of your AAA titles with BF3 which actually requires it is tremendously stupid, but SWTOR players need not worry unless something massive changes with Bioware.

My Origin also doesn't show my SWTOR pre-order outside of the order history page. It shouldn't worry you though as long as it shows up there and you were provided with the confirmation emails and your digital access code which you plugged into swtor.com.

UPDATE from the OP:
    I solved the problem. The big issue was not being able to access swtor.com in China. I bought a VPN and got on their website and redeemed my code. I should be emailed a download link later on for the preload I assume...
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-11-14 at 04:07 PM.