Water Elemental Idea...

So I kind of got an idea for a PVE Frost mechanic...

What if, instead of the Water Elemental being a permanent pet, it had a limited duration, and your rotation, along with its current setup, was to keep the Water Elemental out as much as possible?

Like, not in a hindering kind of way. It wouldn't be a cooldown or anything retarded like it used to be, just that the best dps Frost Mages got the highest uptime of their Water elemental.

My Idea to make it work, was to make it something along the lines of Fulmination, where you have a chance of getting a stacking buff when you cast Frostbolt, and once you got all the stacks or whatever, the cooldown of your Water Elemental would reset. If you had a Water Elemental out currently, you could cast summon Water Elemental, and the ele's duration would be increased by 30s, instead of summoning a new elemental.

You could summon a water ele at the beginning of the fight to curb RNG, and the pet would still have the pet ui, but instead of it being a passive dps thing that's always there, it would be something you had to pay attention to.

What you'd be looking for in the uptime would be it being up 70-80% of the time, possibly being higher, if you got lucky.

Idk, just a thought. I personally think it'd be a fun mechanic to do, and would make the pet more interactive with the owner like other pet classes.
    If I can't be the sex symbol, then I can definitely be the BITCH

10+ Year Old Account
    i like it, what if also it had a permanent uptime for frost spec only, could be on a summon for teh other specs for like 30s? and then when that stacking thing in frost spec occurs it transforms into a ice elemental and casts frostbolt and , the best frost mages aer those that can keep their frost elemental up the longest .

Frost doesn't need more complexity, it just needs more damage

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Frost doesn't need more complexity, it just needs more damage
    no it needs less damage imo

Quote Originally Posted by Emberess View Post
    i like it, what if also it had a permanent uptime for frost spec only, could be on a summon for teh other specs for like 30s? and then when that stacking thing in frost spec occurs it transforms into a ice elemental and casts frostbolt and , the best frost mages aer those that can keep their frost elemental up the longest .
    So basically like the Unholy DK ghoul.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimp View Post
    In pvp if you dont know how to dispel maybe, but not in pve.

No it needs more damage. PvE damage. Through Deep Freeze or something that doesn't effect PvP.

And as stated before, its already has a solid rotation and you have to do a bunch of crap you have to watch, like aiming your pet's Freeze at the closest enemy in range and your FoF stacks. This might push it over the edge and make it go from a solid rotation, to an annoyingly punishing one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    No it needs more damage. PvE damage. Through Deep Freeze or something that doesn't effect PvP.

And as stated before, its already has a solid rotation and you have to do a bunch of crap you have to watch, like aiming your pet's Freeze at the closest enemy in range and your FoF stacks. This might push it over the edge and make it go from a solid rotation, to an annoyingly punishing one.
    I could see how that could be an issue, but not one that could be worked out anyways. Even if its rotation is solid, its mechanics are lackluster. A lot of its dps skills or mechanics are messy and clunky, and the spec needs some work. Sheer damage won't fix it. Period. I guess I kind of thought it'd be a fun idea to have a mechanic like this, but I could see where people wouldn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by SvetlanaSvetlana View Post
    I could see how that could be an issue, but not one that could be worked out anyways. Even if its rotation is solid, its mechanics are lackluster. A lot of its dps skills or mechanics are messy and clunky, and the spec needs some work. Sheer damage won't fix it. Period. I guess I kind of thought it'd be a fun idea to have a mechanic like this, but I could see where people wouldn't like it.
    Define clunky? Its probably the smoothest mage rotation. Its not boring and repetative like Arcane...and its not RNG reliant as it can force its Procs with smart usage of Frostfire Orb and Freeze during proc-droughts...and being able to force procs is something I personally think all Proc reliant specs should have. Its a really well thought out rotation, but its damage isn't going to be nearly enough next patch. Currently its fine...but in the future? Not so much.

I really didn't want to go into detail but I guess I have to. They can fix its DPS through the use of Deep Freeze as its the one spell in the Frost tree that works differently in PvP/PvE. It could debuff the enemy, or give them a powerful DoT, or empower your pet, or give you a buff when it deals damage. Get rid of its ability to damage demolishers and its fixed for PvE without effecting PvP. This is what I meant. I didn't mean "buff DF's damage." That wouldn't be enough.
    Last edited by Bombkirby; 2011-11-14 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    Define clunky? Its probably the smoothest mage rotation. Its not boring and repetative like Arcane...and its not RNG reliant as it can force its Procs with smart usage of Frostfire Orb and Freeze during proc-droughts...and being able to force procs is something I personally think all Proc reliant specs should have. Its a really well thought out rotation, but its damage isn't going to be nearly enough next patch. Currently its fine...but in the future? Not so much.

I really didn't want to go into detail but I guess I have to. They can fix its DPS through the use of Deep Freeze as its the one spell in the Frost tree that works differently in PvP/PvE. It could debuff the enemy, or give them a powerful DoT, or empower your pet, or give you a buff when it deals damage. Get rid of its ability to damage demolishers and its fixed for PvE without effecting PvP. This is what I meant. I didn't mean "buff DF's damage." That wouldn't be enough.
    Deep Freeze is one of those very clunky mechanics. It is so important to your dps, but can only be used on a limited amount of mobs. Honestly, I think there should be a glyph that makes it so Deep Freeze does damage, but no longer stuns, include something like "half damage to players" so it's not a must in pvp (which I doubt it would be, since the stun is a BIG thing)

Frost's dps is only really single-target and utility, which limits the desire to play it. Even Arcane has acceptable aoe, but frost doesn't.

EDIT: I do agree, though, Deep Freeze is the most sensible area of which to improve PVE frost, but I would prefer its mechanics be improved before they do more with it. My pet idea wasn't intended to 'fix' frost's dps, but to make there be more interaction between you and your pet, like every other pet class. I guess you could argue that freeze giving FoF is enough, but I don't see it that way.
    Last edited by SvetlanaSvetlana; 2011-11-14 at 07:01 AM.

A lot of its dps skills or mechanics are messy and clunky, and the spec needs some work. Sheer damage won't fix it. Period. I guess I kind of thought it'd be a fun idea to have a mechanic like this, but I could see where people wouldn't like it.
    I don't think clunky is the right word here. It's just to spiky and needs some smoothing out. If you are miss out on a deep freeze for whatever reason you are totally screwed with this spec. There is no way around it and it only has to be one Deep Freeze. On the other hand deep freeze is a badass spell that does HUGE numbers and its really fun. If you could lower the damage of deep freeze by 25% in exchange for added pet damage or something, perhaps pet damage that scales with mastery? That would be good. That way while you give up a decent chunk of damage in the one spell, it gets made up for with mastery. And since deep freeze scales with mastery too it would make it a clear winner in terms of stats. Which is something that I think frost should have, a clear stat winner.

Just my 2 cents though.

Deleted
    Ever played sub in PvE? Frost should be similar.

What if, instead of the Water Elemental being a permanent pet, it had a limited duration, and your rotation, along with its current setup, was to keep the Water Elemental out as much as possible?
    I don't like the idea of the Water Elemental not being a permanent pet anymore. It used to be a cooldown and they changed it to a permanent pet, this I think should stay as it is.

Another problem is that in phases or time spans where there is nothing to do there would be no way to keep your Elemental active (i.e. certain transition phases).
    It could be quite a hassle.

I do think it's an interesting idea though, but I wouldn't like to play it. =P

someones a pvp'er only. and not a mage.

You got killed in a shatter comb ? Cute :>

_________

Ever played sub in PvE? Frost should be similar.
    I like this idea

Quote Originally Posted by TaYroo View Post
    I like this idea
    A super punishing rotation with no astounding upside isn't exactly good design. Punishing with high payoff is fine....but a punishing rotation with a prize that's no better than another simpler spec is not a good idea.