Lightbulb Diablo 3 vs. WoW: A discussion.

I've been looking over a lot of the blue posts regarding the skills, play style, etc. It seems like they moved away from original way to play diablo and are now making it more like WoW... I have my reasons for saying this, but I wanted to see what other people think and if our opinions match up. See if you can spot any blatant similarities between WoW/D3, stuff that you just wouldn't find in D1/D2.

I can't think of any similarities that aren't RPG tropes anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    I can't think of any similarities that aren't RPG tropes anyway.
    This... don't know where you're taking this idea man...

Deleted
    The original diablo was too dark and depressing, when you live in the UK a country that has no sun for 8 months out of the year the last thing you want to see is more gloom. Diablo 3 looks bright and enchanting much more like a fairy tale than a soul sucking dirge.

Bright colours and cartoonish themes is the number 1 reason why I liked to play wow, nothing ever gets to heavy although during wrath of the lich King I was beginning to wonder where all the light had gone. I don't do dark and gothic, in Britain there's too many reminders of this you're never more than 10 minutes walk from an old moss covered decrepit church or a gloomy listed building. Some of the Tudor houses are beautiful but the rest, anything registered by the national trust makes me think thank God we've been there done that not doing it again!
    Last edited by mmoc25957a140e; 2011-11-17 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorceress View Post
    The original diablo was too dark and depressing, when you live in the UK a country that has no sun for 8 months out of the year the last thing you want to see is more gloom. Diablo 3 looks bright and enchanting much more like a fairy tale than a soul sucking dirge.

Bright colours and cartoonish themes is the number 1 reason why I liked to play wow, nothing ever gets to heavy although during wrath of the lich King I was beginning to wonder where all the light had gone. I don't do dark and gothic, in Britain there's too many reminders of this you're never more than 10 minutes walk from an old moss covered decrepit church or a gloomy listed building. Some of the Tudor houses are beautiful but the rest, anything registered by the national trust makes me think thank God we've been there done that not doing it again!
    According to the devs, be prepared for a very disappointing last half of the game then. I'm pretty sure they've said it gets progressively darker.

They're taking stuff from WoW because it was incredibly successful and worked really well. D3 will still be a different enough game. But for the sake of argument, let's think about the similarities:

-Leveling up a single character (a staple of RPGs and arguably many other games too)
    -Talents and runestones/glyphs (similar yes, but if anything WoW is taking D3's talent system, with the changes coming in MoP: it's probably a case of them inspiring each other)
    -The class types (it's difficult to come up with something truly original these days, and most fantasy games use similar enough classes, so again not solely a WoW/D3 thing)
    -Crafting (again, this is used in many RPGs)
    -Dungeon running (as above)
    -Auction House (you can definitely say this is taken from WoW, but it's a damn good thing so nothing to hold against D3)

...Anything else? Honestly, it seems like this: either the similarities between the two games are also similarities shared with RPGs in general, or the similarity is a damn good idea so Blizzard would be silly to not use it in some fashion.

Not a big deal, imo!

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    They're taking stuff from WoW because it was incredibly successful and worked really well. D3 will still be a different enough game. But for the sake of argument, let's think about the similarities:

-Leveling up a single character (a staple of RPGs and arguably many other games too)
    -Talents and runestones/glyphs (similar yes, but if anything WoW is taking D3's talent system, with the changes coming in MoP: it's probably a case of them inspiring each other)
    -The class types (it's difficult to come up with something truly original these days, and most fantasy games use similar enough classes, so again not solely a WoW/D3 thing)
    -Crafting (again, this is used in many RPGs)
    -Dungeon running (as above)
    -Auction House (you can definitely say this is taken from WoW, but it's a damn good thing so nothing to hold against D3)

...Anything else? Honestly, it seems like this: either the similarities between the two games are also similarities shared with RPGs in general, or the similarity is a damn good idea so Blizzard would be silly to not use it in some fashion.

Not a big deal, imo!
    I actually noticed your point a few weeks ago when looking into Diablo 3, OP. Many of the reasons I found Kisho listed above.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Hardly "definately taken from WoW". Auction Houses have been around longer than WoW, and in a few games before WoW.
    The idea isn't new - it's just a very simple way of allowing player economy to flourish.

I do, however, agree that the RMAH won't be so big of a deal. Judging by a different poll on this site, there's going to be few people willing to buy, but a lot of people willing to sell. Supply and demand will take it from there.