[Movies] Hollywood and Movies

I know cinema has been embarrassingly being trying to make as much money as they can with the whole 3D bullshit. But seriously, this is just crossing the line. I can't even go see movies in theaters anymore because the 2D showings are at ridiculous times. While the 3D showings are all day.

To top it off -

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox/swepisodeone3d/

Like.. I have to awkwardly laugh at how pathetic this is..

I don't think I even have to mention Titanic 3D.. Whats the point of all this? What happened to good movies? All that I see lately is Shit, remakes, kids movies, and more shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uh oh, another "2nd trilogy sucks" bandwagon hopper....but yes I agree, 3D is starting to become over the top
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah the whole 3D thing bugs me too. I cannot wait for this trend to end.

Quote Originally Posted by ElAmigo View Post
    Uh oh, another "2nd trilogy sucks" bandwagon hopper....but yes I agree, 3D is starting to become over the top
    What? if you think PM was good you delusional and not a Star Wars fan.
    Why did you put, ""2nd trilogy sucks"" in quotes? are you quoting me? Cause i didn't say that.
    A bandwagon jumper? Don't you have to like the movie first? I might be wrong, but I don't know you. So how would you know if I was jumping off this bandwagon?
    enjoy blowing 20 dollars seeing this in 3D IMax, because you really seem like the type of person who would
    (a moron)

Well, Star Wars needs more money to try to take back the #1 movie franchise from Harry Potter.

10+ Year Old Account
    So.... Jack and Jill made 25mil opening weekend... That right there is half the problem with the industry these days. They keep making shit movies because people keep going to see them...

whoa titanic 3d, fuck yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    So.... Jack and Jill made 25mil opening weekend... That right there is half the problem with the industry these days. They keep making shit movies because people keep going to see them...
    are you kidding me? wow. just wow.

In tougher economic times, families are likely more willing to see a movie to benefit their kids than themselves. If you are seeing a trend to kids movies / remakes and 3D movies, it's likely to target their core audience, who is young.

Proof? only anecdotal, but that's just how it seems anyways.

But for the rest, like 3D rehashes, that doesn't really excite me anyways. I'm with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    yeah the whole 3D thing bugs me too. I cannot wait for this trend to end.
    3D will come and go. Remakes of nostalgically great movies will stay forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Potatowizard View Post
    Why did you put, ""2nd trilogy sucks"" in quotes? are you quoting me? Cause i didn't say that.
    A bandwagon jumper? Don't you have to like the movie first? I might be wrong, but I don't know you. So how would you know if I was jumping off this bandwagon?
    enjoy blowing 20 dollars seeing this in 3D IMax, because you really seem like the type of person who would
    (a moron)
    PM isn't the best, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. I'd rather watch PM than 90% of the other crap that gets put out there.

But no, I wouldn't waste my time going to a 3D remake of a movie I've already seen.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

3D is nice occasionally and only if it's done well. Coraline/Avatar

I saw Pirates/Clash of the titans in 3D and wanted to pull my eyes out by the end.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    Only problem I have with the 3D jank is that it costs more, damned AMC!

Don't worry.. unless 3D gets notably better, you will stop seeing most movies in it within probably a couple years... Cartoons, however, will likely be only in 3D in the future. That is my prediction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Potatowizard View Post
    (a moron)
    What does it mean to be a true Star Wars fan then? And what I meant by bandwagon jumper is you make it a point to let everyone know how "atrocious" the 2nd trilogy seems to be. I also love the hypocrisy in telling me I can't call you a bandwagon hopper since I don't know you but you can somehow call me a moron through just one sentence of mine? Also, seeing as I own both trilogies I wouldn't watch it on 3D since (like I said in my previous post) it's becoming over the top but I don't blame you on assuming that.......it's not like you personally know me, ya know?
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy88 View Post
    Well, Star Wars needs more money to try to take back the #1 movie franchise from Harry Potter.
    James Bond will take back the #1 spot before Star Wars makes enough to overtake it and Potter.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

I also hate 3D movies, feels like and unnecessary dimension to add to movies.

Personally what has annoyed me recently is the planned re-release of movies that have not long been made like spider man and superman (and I believe LotR, but im not too sure), they're not even changing anything about the story just making it again for the heck of it.

Deleted
    Most of the upcoming movies are going to be released in a 3D version, next year doesn't look much better either. While for some movies (for example Avatar), I believe it did add another dimension, but for most movies it's simply a weapon you see in 3D for one or two seconds, and that's the whole concept of 3D in that particular kind of movies.

3D is not going away anytime soon. The cost of the investment to make a 3D movie vs the revenue generated by the higher ticket prices is simply too profitable to pass up. This year has seen much higher box office earnings than last year, in spite of the fact that actual attendance numbers are down.

As for the point of the Hollywood system continuing to make such a terrible product, that's the only way to make money. Adam Carola recently did a little spot for Rotten Tomatoes talking about Jack and Jill and being critical but realistic about how it came to pass. The gist of his argument was that Adam Sandler makes the film equivalent of fast food. Its cheep, its terrible and we buy it by the truckload. Sandler has tried to make better quality "food" but audiences have largely avoided it. So if you can make 100 million dollars by throwing Big Macs at people and spreading the wealth around with your friends, wouldnt you take that opportunity rather than offering a gourmet burger that takes more time and effort to complete, and come out lucky to break even maybe 3 years down the road after dvd/bluray/streaming revenues have compensated for your low box office numbers?

Not all of the blame rests in Hollywood. Audiences across the country simply don't want anything really good from the system. Its sad to see the last truly American Industry being forced to play to the lowest common denominator because thats the only way to keep the whole thing going.

Lastly, on the topic of Starwars; look up The People Vs George Lucas. It was recently released on home video. Im sure you can find it streaming somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Fengore View Post
    James Bond will take back the #1 spot before Star Wars makes enough to overtake it and Potter.
    I had to do some digging to find an up to date list and according to http://247wallst.com/2011/11/09/the-...n-the-world/3/ which did their list on November 9th of this year it lists Star Wars at #3 4.2 Billion, James Bond at #2 at 5 Billion and Harry Potter at 7.6 Billion. Assuming those are correct both have a long way to go to catch HP.