Poll: Going to heal in ToR?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    A lot of the "newer" MMOs have had severe healer shortages. This is largely due to the fact that devs always seem to make it an absolute bitch to level them since things need to be tailored towards making things not too easy for DPS classes.

I'll probably give a healing character a go since there will be a ton of tanks and DPSers, as usual.

At first I think there will be a decent number of healers. But depending on how the healing and the fights are implemented, that may change. The more punishing it is to be a healer (too much AoE damage that people won't get out of, not enough resources to feel like you can do your job, UI issues) the fewer healers you will see long term.

---------- Post added 2011-11-17 at 08:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dynati View Post
    A lot of the "newer" MMOs have had severe healer shortages. This is largely due to the fact that devs always seem to make it an absolute bitch to level them since things need to be tailored towards making things not too easy for DPS classes.

I'll probably give a healing character a go since there will be a ton of tanks and DPSers, as usual.
    Having companions that round out your class/spec will mostly eliminate that issue, I suspect.

I'll be healing, main toon, primary spec.

I just always enjoy the challenge of healing more than any other role in MMOs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    They still say Cata needs a lot of work, and this expansion (edit for reference: MoP) is in the final stages.
    Quoted for... truth? on 11/30/2011.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    On a side note (I'm not sure if this violates the NDA), is the healing system good?

My biggest complaint about Rift and Aion was that the act of healing was a chore.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to be healing for the exact reason that queues will be faster and it will be easier for me to get into places. I don't mind healing, sometimes I find healing easier then tanking and not as stressful as trying to max numbers in dpsing.

Deleted
    I will be healing. I probably won't do much end-game raiding in guilds though, just pugs and stuff. I'll still be using WoW as my main raiding game (due to my friends and guild) and I can't comit to any more raiding nights.

I enjoy healing in WoW and did some healing in Rift (before i died of boredem) and I've always enjoyed healing - I feel needed :P so it feels natural for me to want to heal.

I like big numbers and killing stuff. I tried healing a couple of times in WoW as Druid but it was just frustrating unless you know players you're gonna play with. Same and worst for tanks. DPS gameplay is also much more interesting. Then again I didn't get my code to start beta week end yet (even though i've been selected for an upcoming w-e).

One of the biggest problems with being a healer is questing. Your attacks are like slapping mobs with a wet noodle. ToR fixed that with Companions, you can use a high DPS companion for questing. Its not perfect but it does make it a hell of a lot easier.

AS for the Early game instances, BW has already stated they are design so you can survive most of them with little healing, everyone just needs to learn to kite and focus fire adds. I can confirm that is very true.
    Im just here till SWTOR launch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazybean View Post
    One of the biggest problems with being a healer is questing. Your attacks are like slapping mobs with a wet noodle. ToR fixed that with Companions, you can use a high DPS companion for questing. Its not perfect but it does make it a hell of a lot easier.

AS for the Early game instances, BW has already stated they are design so you can survive most of them with little healing, everyone just needs to learn to kite and focus fire adds. I can confirm that is very true.
    Simple really, DPS to max level then switch to healing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazybean View Post
    How does that then make things stack up with two DPSers, or is the assumption that you will need at least one tank or healer to quest?

Quote Originally Posted by Chastity View Post
    How does that then make things stack up with two DPSers, or is the assumption that you will need at least one tank or healer to quest?
    Companions have modes they can be set to; tank, heals or deeps.

It's going to be about as hard as it was pre-dual spec in WoW. It wasn't particularly hard to run heroics then. It might even be a little easier because there wont be a 20 minute ride to a summoning stone at the entrance. According to Bioware every Flashpoint will be accessible from your factions's Fleet hub.