Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by LTCrystallite View Post
    OMG I LOVE YOU

Earthbound (mother series in general) is still one of my absolute biggest inspirations. I originally played it when I was 9, and it's always in the back of

My favorite part of earthbound was and still is the Fourside/Moonside segment. The illusions and the Mani Mani Statue gave me nightmares, as did the Dept. Store Spook (Mook race)

Thanks for this thread. More people really need to play this game.

Edit: As you can tell, my Avatar is a Starman
    You're totally welcome = D, I'm surprised no one has done this before me lol. Yeah Fourside/Moonside was a great part of the game, proabally my second or third favorite part of the game. The shopping department there was scarey for me too at the time, loved it soo much though. Fight was hard until I realized that Jeff was the most OP character of the game if you stock pile TONS of bottle rockets and spam them on bosses, they can one shot major ones.

NERF JEFF!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sageofthe10paths View Post
    You're totally welcome = D, I'm surprised no one has done this before me lol. Yeah Fourside/Moonside was a great part of the game, proabally my second or third favorite part of the game. The shopping department there was scarey for me too at the time, loved it soo much though. Fight was hard until I realized that Jeff was the most OP character of the game if you stock pile TONS of bottle rockets and spam them on bosses, they can one shot major ones.

NERF JEFF!!! lol
    Oh yea see, I refuse to use Multi Bottle Rockets at all, and I only use the Big Bottle Rockets I get from presents or enemies. That's my fairness rule, he really is OP as hell haha.

The funny thing is Earthbound was the only game that made me cry when I was that young. Every other game (DKC1 and 2, Megaman X-3, Battletoads Double Dragon, and even Chrono Trigger) never made me feel so different about life. Giygas was the most ominous and intangible video game villain ever.

Also, I wanted to point out that Giegue (Mother/Earthbound Zero) is like a sperm in a testicle, as Giygas is a fetus in a cervix (as posted above). AND I NEVER KNEW AS A CHILD

10+ Year Old Account
    DUDE! $150, that's crazy! However. . . I'm thinking it was totally worth it lol. I have Earthbound on my phone lol. Costed me $10 total to get it all emulator and ROM finder.

As for Gyigas being a baby, and you abort it. That's one crazy acid trip interpretation, he IS pure evil because of a few reasons. First off prayer kills him, he grows to attack the planet with UFO's and such. His form is said to be pure evil by Pokey, and I think he is just kinda like what "The Sha" are going to be in Mists of Pandaria, just the essence of pure evil. He is, and will be the greatest bad guy of all time however.

Btw the scene from the movie where the fight of Gyigas is modeled is actually pretty tame and not really all that harsh at all lol. Given it is in black and white, but its not even really a rape if you watch it, they just say it is in the movie.
    From what I remember was said in I believe it was EarthBound (may have been in Mother) was that Giygas was originally an alien invader who tried to corrupt the minds of those living on Earth, such as with the Mani Mani Statue, but his psychic link in turn backfired and the evil in the hearts of these people corrupted and destroyed the sanity and even physical form of Giygas turning him into literal evil energy itself. In the original Mother game Giygas(or one of the original spellings for it)had his back story based on Ninten's grand parents making contact with the aliens in the early 1900's where during their meeting they learned the secrets of the psychic powers that they possessed and thus passing them on to Ninten and some others. Ninten's grandmother would sing to Giygas which he enjoyed and calmed him but after learning that the humans had betrayed him and learned the secret of their psychic powers as well as generally interfering with their plans for invasion of Earth, Ninten's grandmother was trapped in the dream world of Magicant by Giygas. Once Ninten learns her song he is then able to use it to weaken the defenses of Giygas in a similar way that Paula's prayers weaken him in EarthBound. (may have forgotten a few key part of the back story, haven't played Mother nearly as many times as 2 and 3)

Quote Originally Posted by LTCrystallite View Post
    Oh yea see, I refuse to use Multi Bottle Rockets at all, and I only use the Big Bottle Rockets I get from presents or enemies. That's my fairness rule, he really is OP as hell haha.

The funny thing is Earthbound was the only game that made me cry when I was that young. Every other game (DKC1 and 2, Megaman X-3, Battletoads Double Dragon, and even Chrono Trigger) never made me feel so different about life. Giygas was the most ominous and intangible video game villain ever.

Also, I wanted to point out that Giegue (Mother/Earthbound Zero) is like a sperm in a testicle, as Giygas is a fetus in a cervix (as posted above). AND I NEVER KNEW AS A CHILD
    That's interesting you fight Gyigas when he is soo young, I mean the main characters can't be over 12 years old, they are all like 10. So to fight a final boss who is in an infantile state makes sense and is kinda crazy to grasp. What womb birthed Gyigas btw? If Gyigas was born unto the world does that mean he has parents? Something crazy to think about.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's interesting you fight Gyigas when he is soo young, I mean the main characters can't be over 12 years old, they are all like 10. So to fight a final boss who is in an infantile state makes sense and is kinda crazy to grasp. What womb birthed Gyigas btw? If Gyigas was born unto the world does that mean he has parents? Something crazy to think about.
    The whole theory about Giygas being some fetus monster is one that is interesting but I don't truly think is what was really happening, now I am sure there is some form of imagery involved in the fight but I distinctly remember near the end of EarthBound that is was stated that Giygas was attacking from the past so they didn't go back in time to stop him in a weaker state, they simply went back in time to stop him from attacking in the era he was currently in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechazod View Post
    The whole theory about Giygas being some fetus monster is one that is interesting but I don't truly think is what was really happening, now I am sure there is some form of imagery involved in the fight but I distinctly remember near the end of EarthBound that is was stated that Giygas was attacking from the past so they didn't go back in time to stop him in a weaker state, they simply went back in time to stop him from attacking in the era he was currently in.
    The whole fetus thing is just a coincidence. Giygas is older in Earthbound than he was in Mother, and he actually had a real body in Mother. His entire form has basically been destroyed and now he's just a mindless force -- an "all-mighty idiot."
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Mother 3 is my favorite. I love how everybody gets characterization, even the freaking rope snake.

Mother 3 is my top RPG, up there with the persona series.

Such an emotionally stirring game, I hate that they never localized it, but then again if they did, it would probably lose a ton of its impact in translation to get it to fit american ESRB standards (What the hell would they do with the magypsies?).

Quote Originally Posted by Nara Numas View Post
    Mother 3 is my top RPG, up there with the persona series.

Such an emotionally stirring game, I hate that they never localized it, but then again if they did, it would probably lose a ton of its impact in translation to get it to fit american ESRB standards (What the hell would they do with the magypsies?).
    If you were unaware, there is a fan translation. It was done pretty well.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    If you were unaware, there is a fan translation. It was done pretty well.
    I am, just saying it's a shame the only way people over the water can get it is by a technically illegal but confusingly grey-zoned emulator.

I love how much music from this game I find in people's youtube videos about other video games lol.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    My brother and I grew up playing Earthbound (Mother 2) together. It was a game we thoroughly enjoyed -- even with all the grinding. Even today on my Windows 7 powered PC I have a SNES emulator JUST to play Earthbound.

Being a music major and holding a degree, and about to get my second, in music I can state that the music in EB is truly amazing. I've heard re-orchestrations of town music, and of course, the sound stone melodies. A few years ago I arranged a string quartet based on the 16 melodies from Mother 1 and 2, and I added 8 more bars (melodies) to combine the other melodies.

Edit: I remember finding this on Youtube years ago. If you consider yourself a Mother/Earthbound fan, I challenge you to listen to this with out crying:

Further edit: Here's some EB fan art I've collected over the years. Finally some people to share it with that will appreciate the humor and appreciate the artistry behind some of them.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...nightmare1.jpg
    http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...metravel-1.jpg
    http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...hirts_poo2.jpg
    http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ola/monkey.jpg
    http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2..._magicant1.jpg
    Last edited by theredviola; 2012-03-10 at 06:19 PM.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

I love this game so much. It has so much originality in it, and some of the most awesome characters, and it's ending, imo, is the most touching emotional ending from any game when Paula starts praying.

Quote Originally Posted by fadedmind View Post
    Loved earthbound but I dreaded farming those mobs for hours trying to get that Chinese kids ultimate weapon (srry dont remember names)
    Starman Super(mobs) and Prince Poo(the kid).
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    My brother and I grew up playing Earthbound (Mother 2) together. It was a game we thoroughly enjoyed -- even with all the grinding. Even today on my Windows 7 powered PC I have a SNES emulator JUST to play Earthbound.

Being a music major and holding a degree, and about to get my second, in music I can state that the music in EB is truly amazing. I've heard re-orchestrations of town music, and of course, the sound stone melodies. A few years ago I arranged a string quartet based on the 16 melodies from Mother 1 and 2, and I added 8 more bars (melodies) to combine the other melodies.

Edit: I remember finding this on Youtube years ago. If you consider yourself a Mother/Earthbound fan, I challenge you to listen to this with out crying:

Further edit: Here's some EB fan art I've collected over the years. Finally some people to share it with that will appreciate the humor and appreciate the artistry behind some of them.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...nightmare1.jpg
    http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...metravel-1.jpg
    http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...hirts_poo2.jpg
    http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ola/monkey.jpg
    http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2..._magicant1.jpg
    Dude thanks so much for contributing to this post! I like the flyingman crying over the grave lol, CLASSIC! Why is Nintendo sooo retarded when it comes to making games now a days. . . I think them and Square Enix ate the same retard sandwhich.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Dude thanks so much for contributing to this post! I like the flyingman crying over the grave lol, CLASSIC! Why is Nintendo sooo retarded when it comes to making games now a days. . . I think them and Square Enix ate the same retard sandwhich.
    Sad, but true.

And if you're a fan of fly man, like myself, you'll enjoy this:
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven