Thread: NCAA football

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    How can people seriously say with a straight face that Ohio State should be in the title game when they havent played anyone? All I hear is people say "But they have 24 wins in a row" When you only play cupcakes and your conference is terrible winning 24 in a row isnt an accomplishment its expected. "But we are playing a top 10 ranked Michigan State" Now you arent. Michigan State isnt that great because their only loss is to a bad Notre Dame team with 4 losses. Michigan State's wins are against a bunch of bads as well.

Also who the hell is Northern Illinois and why are they trying to steal a BCS bid from a deserving 1 or 2 loss team from the SEC, Pac-12, or the Big12? Will they seriously get another invite to a BCS bowl after they decided to embarrass themselves last year by losing to Florida State by 21. I looked their schedule up and they didnt play a single ranked team all year. Again going undefeated because you played nobodies isnt an accomplishment or some feat that should be rewarded.

But I guess its only fitting that BCS, which is the biggest sports scandal and travesty since the 1919 World Series should go out showing it doesnt know jack shit about football.
    you know who else hasn't played anyone? FSU. i don't hear anyone complaining about them. and by the way, the MSU loss was a gift from the referees to ND. some of those pass interference calls were BS and the league even admitted it. now i don't know whether OSU deserves to be in the NCG or not, but the fact is, you take the schedule you are given and you go with it. couple years ago Bama made the NCG despite having 2 losses iirc. this whole thing is why i am going to be happy when the playoff system is implemented.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    you know who else hasn't played anyone? FSU. i don't hear anyone complaining about them. and by the way, the MSU loss was a gift from the referees to ND. some of those pass interference calls were BS and the league even admitted it. now i don't know whether OSU deserves to be in the NCG or not, but the fact is, you take the schedule you are given and you go with it. couple years ago Bama made the NCG despite having 2 losses iirc. this whole thing is why i am going to be happy when the playoff system is implemented.
    In 2011 they had one loss, and no one in the nation went undefeated. Last year they had one loss, but beat out everyone else with one loss. Having one more win than everyone else doesn't hurt. Florida State beat Clemson, pretty badly, this year.

As far as Northern Illinois, they were 12-1 last year before the bowl games, so they've been hanging around for awhile.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    In 2011 they had one loss, and no one in the nation went undefeated. Last year they had one loss, but beat out everyone else with one loss. Having one more win than everyone else doesn't hurt. Florida State beat Clemson, pretty badly, this year.

As far as Northern Illinois, they were 12-1 last year before the bowl games, so they've been hanging around for awhile.
    never said anything about northern illinois. my point was though, that you can't say a team shouldn't be where they are "because they played a weak schedule" when there is several teams that applies too.

my point was though, that you can't say a team shouldn't be where they are "because they played a weak schedule" when there is several teams that applies too.
    OSU and FSU had similar strength of schedules. But FSU blew away a then ranked #3 clemson at clemson. Ohio State didnt beat a top 15 team. They barely beat a 4 loss Michigan team and only won because Michigan failed the 2 point conversion. Also FSU totally dominated their schedule. FSU had 10 games where they held their opponents to 14 or fewer points. OSU only had 5. FSU won twice as many games against similar opponents allowing only 14 points or fewer.

Buffalo (MAC team) scored 20
    Cal (1-11) scored 34
    North Western (5-7 and 1-7 Big 10 play) scored 30
    Illinois (4-8 and 1-7 in Big 10 play) scored 35

Ohio State gave up 119 points in 4 games against absolutely terrible teams. FSU will drop 70 on them and FSU can play defense (FIRST in points allowed 11.0) Its about how they won their games. Yes their schedules were similar but FSU totally dominated every single game except one. But still at least it was to a bowl eligible 7-5 team and not some scrub ass team with only 1 win and they certainly didnt almost lose to a 5 loss team.
    Last edited by Dabrix32; 2013-12-03 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    What are you talking about? The Orange Bowl takes the ACC Champion, period. The only exception is if the ACC Champion is in the NC game. .
    That was a brain fart on my part. I knew the Orange Bowl took first pick from the ACC. I was focusing more on the part that Duke might not be ranked in the top 14. Which wouldn't matter if they won the ACC.

Mariota returning for Oregon next year. Maybe they won't give up on their season again.

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Enjoy your time in the sun OSU fans. Best case scenario is that you beat MSU and get pounded by FSU. At least that meaningless winning streak will finally end.
    Sorry you couldn't take care of business against a team that lost by 2 tds to a mediocre middle of the pack SEC team. Next time win out and enjoy that free preseason poll boost that had you #1 in the first place. Buckeye nation will be happy to continue our win streak against 'Bama in the playoffs next year, and I'll be here to hear whatever excuses you have for your team's failure at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    Sorry you couldn't take care of business against a team that lost by 2 tds to a mediocre middle of the pack SEC team. Next time win out and enjoy that free preseason poll boost that had you #1 in the first place. Buckeye nation will be happy to continue our win streak against 'Bama in the playoffs next year, and I'll be here to hear whatever excuses you have for your team's failure at that point.
    LSU Middle of the pack? Are you crazy? You can't talk crap as a OSU fan. You've won against no one. You claimed to be amazing after beating northwestern. Look how that turned out for you. Ohio States SOS is 52nd, Auburns is #4, Bama's is #5. Get out of here with your nonsense. You know good and well Bama would destroy you. You have no defense at all. Gus Malzahn would have a field day on you.
    Last edited by Vampiroth; 2013-12-04 at 01:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post

I have accepted my teams fate this year. Can only win so many titles in the span of a few years before you hit a bump. Crying in my beer because we can't get our threepeat.

OSU has won 1 title in the past 40+ years. Bama has won 3 of the last 4. Nuff said.

And as far as next year goes, good fucking luck ever making it to another title game again once the playoffs start. But you guys still have to actually beat a top ten school this season to get in, so good luck with that. You will need it seeing as how horrendous your D is.
    Last edited by Roose; 2013-12-04 at 03:02 AM.
    I like sandwiches

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    So the Oregon/Alabama contest can't really get a shot at the Orange Bowl because the ACC gets at least one auto invite?
    Last edited by cubby; 2013-12-04 at 04:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We will not likely see OU and Bama from what I hear. I do not have specifics though. I would think that it is a game that many would want to see. I would like to see it. At the beginning of the season that was my title matchup. I need to look into how the bowls are laid out, but I honestly do not really care anymore seeing as this is the last year for the system. Personally, I would like to either play Oregon or get a rematch against Auburn. I really do not want to play Clemson like many have said.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    never said anything about northern illinois. my point was though, that you can't say a team shouldn't be where they are "because they played a weak schedule" when there is several teams that applies too.
    Oh, I know. I just got lazy and didn't multiquote.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zach Mettenberger tore his ACL apparently.

Clemson's AD has started to rally the fans to promote the school to the Orange bowl people. Fans have been emailing, and tweeting them. It's most likely going to be clemson that goes because the fans travel well. It will probably be Clemson vs Bama.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampiroth View Post
    Clemson's AD has started to rally the fans to promote the school to the Orange bowl people. Fans have been emailing, and tweeting them. It's most likely going to be clemson that goes because the fans travel well. It will probably be Clemson vs Bama.
    It's too bad mediocre conferences are locked into bowl games. For second year in a row, a LOT of people would love to see the Ducks/Tide matchup, and it once again won't happen.
    Last edited by cubby; 2013-12-04 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    It's too bad mediocre conferences are locked into bowl games. For second year in a row, a LOT of people would love to see the Ducks/Tide matchup, and it once again won't happen.
    The sad thing is Duke has had a better year than Clemson. Why shouldnt Duke go to the Orange Bowl? Both of them have easy schedules but
    1. Duke beat 2 ranked teams and Clemson only had 1 ranked win
    2. Duke won their divison and played in ACC title game
    3. Duke lost 2 games by 27 combined points while Clemson lost their 2 games by 51 combined points

BCS bowls should be about rewarding the players and schools who had exceptional seasons. How the hell is a Duke team finishing the season with the same record as Clemson not more impressive? Not giving BCS bow bids to the kids who actually deserve to go for playing their guts out all year is a fucking travesty. Winning a shitty conference no one in 99% of the country cares about ( UCF) and being undefeated while never playing a single ranked team and being in a worthless conference as well (NIU) are not accomplishments and they shouldnt be rewarded.

Dude you are crazy. Duke's year more impressive? Come on be real. Duke's strength of schedule was 59th in the nation. Clemson's was 9th. The hardest schedule in the ACC. Source Clemson's win over a full strength Georgia was way more impressive than any win that Duke had. Georgia played half the year without a majority of their starters. They had 0 wr's with one of the best QB's in the SEC. Gurley was hurt for a little bit same with Marshall.

The only 2 losses the Clemson had were both against top 10 teams (and the current #1 team/NC Favorite), in games that they gave up 9 total turnovers. They both played GT and look what happened there, Clemson beat GT and Duke got blown out by them

The only thing that is impressive about Duke's year is the fact that it's Duke that did what they did. Comparing them to other schools like Clemson just isn't even fair to them. Clemson is on another level. You will see when FSU does the same thing to Duke as they have every other team, then you will know exactly why they aren't going to the Orange bowl.

You know, i have more respect for the teams in the northeastern parts of the US than the south for one reason, Weather.

Im calling it that it will be FSU and OSU in the national title game, and it will be a high scoring game. Being an Ohio State Alumni, i am putting my money on OSU.

but what if the game was played somewhere like Denver? or New York?? OSU would win HANDS DOWN over any team in the SEC.

but they wont do that because 80% of the BCS teams are little bitches when it comes to weather, which is why they play down in the south. Play some ball up here, where it is 15-20 degrees outside, with snow on the ground for a title game, then you can earn some respect.

Now, i am not saying that OSU has done that, because they havent, but its annoying hearing SEC this and SEC that,when the only reason they get "all the athletes" is because its never cold down there.

Anyway, its going to be #1 FSU v #2 OSU, and #3 Auburn vs #4 Alabama in the 2 big games. i think the auburn/bama game is going to be another great game, but the FSU/OSU game will be a 150 point game with OSU winning by 7-10.

for those saying FSU has defense, How many teams have a QB/RB threat like OSU has? what are you going to do put 8 in the box? Miller can throw the ball. Miller gets hurt? OSU has Kenny G come in and pick up right where Miller left off. How many teams have a starting QB as their backup?

BTW, the OSU defense while it is shaky, has the potential to be great, you have to remember that we only had 5 returning starters(1 of which was lost in game 5 with a broken ankle).

Lastly, If you use the OSU/Michigan game as an example, you have to look at it like Auburn/Alabama. Bama was a big favorite over auburn and look what happened. Teams have bad games and teams have great games. Michigan had a great game Offensively, the best i have seen in a few years, while Ohio State had a shitty game defensively.

Also, How about dem Ducks???(not really dey chocked twice).
    Scrapbot Was Here.
    I was asked a simple question in school today; 3 men walk into a bar, 1 orders a Margarita, 1 orders a Screwdriver, and the third orders the largest glass of Guinness he could get. Which on is gay?
    My answer: The one who bought the Guinness because he gave it to me.
    my teacher looked at my answer and laughed. i got bonus points because of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kifimbo View Post
    You know, i have more respect for the teams in the northeastern parts of the US than the south for one reason, Weather.

Im calling it that it will be FSU and OSU in the national title game, and it will be a high scoring game. Being an Ohio State Alumni, i am putting my money on OSU.

but what if the game was played somewhere like Denver? or New York?? OSU would win HANDS DOWN over any team in the SEC.

but they wont do that because 80% of the BCS teams are little bitches when it comes to weather, which is why they play down in the south. Play some ball up here, where it is 15-20 degrees outside, with snow on the ground for a title game, then you can earn some respect.
    I agree. Im sick and tired of all these bowl games being played in perfect conditions, on perfect fields. I long for the days like you see in videos from the 50's and 60's where guys had icicles in their beards, and blowing snow on the field. What ever happened to the frozen tundra, the Ice Bowl, the fog bowl etc.. Those were real men. Nowadays athletes are wimps that cant play if it isnt in the 70's or warmer and on perfectly manicured or fake turf. Even the NFL came to its senses and figured out people love watching foul winter weather games and they are having the Super Bowl in the new Giants stadium. I hope its 10 degrees and 20 inches of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I hope its 10 degrees and 20 inches of snow.
    i would quit my job and go to any game where its 10 degrees with 5 inches of snow, 20 inches would be hilarious.
    Scrapbot Was Here.
    I was asked a simple question in school today; 3 men walk into a bar, 1 orders a Margarita, 1 orders a Screwdriver, and the third orders the largest glass of Guinness he could get. Which on is gay?
    My answer: The one who bought the Guinness because he gave it to me.
    my teacher looked at my answer and laughed. i got bonus points because of it.