Thread: NCAA football

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Like skarsguard hints at a few posts back, there's a bit more to it than that. Phil Knight (Nike chairman) is an Oregon alum, and he's donated over $300 million to the university's athletic programs so far.
    Got to love having a big corporate donation machine like that. Oregon gets ridiculous benefits out of that deal aside from their amazing practice facility, locker rooms, workout facilities, etc. They are out there every week wearing tech that won't be available to other teams for years. Their pads are always made from some space age material. They wear performance enhancing glasses in practice to improve reaction time. Pretty insane.

The MSU game was just great. Penn St pretty thoroughly embarrassed the conference with the loss to Houston. Their "great" defense gave up 30 points. Most overrated team in the Big 10, maybe in the NCAA.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-01-03 at 12:27 AM.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I knew Oregon really didn't have any kinda D but I thought the Badgers had some kinda Defense. Does anybody in college outside of LSU/Alabama play Defense (no im not starting an SEC war) because I'm including the sec as well.

I mean there are some big B1G defenses, but outside of LSU/Alabama (though I'm sorry Alabama's is pretty untested outside of LSU and Arkansas) there really isn't. It was an offensive year

So that was kind of a BS call based on the rules that the chains have to be set for the clock to restart

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    I knew Oregon really didn't have any kinda D but I thought the Badgers had some kinda Defense. Does anybody in college outside of LSU/Alabama play Defense (no im not starting an SEC war) because I'm including the sec as well.
    Wisconsin's defense is alright, but they didn't play anyone at all this year outside of MSU and they gave up 37 and 39 points against them. But ya, LSU and Bama are about the only two real defenses in college football and even LSU gave up 27 points to Oregon. That 27 points is what LSU gave up in two or three weeks combined for the rest of the year. Hell LSU gave up two more points to Tennessee, Alabama, Ole Miss, Kentucky, and Miss St. COMBINED than they did in the Oregon game. Oregon is that good. LSU's defense is just on another level entirely. Alabama was statistically better, thanks to facing massively fewer plays and much worse competition than LSU (they played Penn St as their best out of conference game, the same team that got shellacked by Houston today), but on the field LSU was superior to anything else in college football.

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    LSU had the same yards per carry against Bama as they did against Oregon this season. But sorry, I forgot that they're the holy grail of defenses and no statistics will counter that statement.

Our secondary makes a lot of bad coverage decisions, I admit that. If Boyett and Pleasant have to play close to make sure Ball doesn't run for 10 every time, Mitchell is literally the only pass coverage hope we have. And even he's a young gun who makes really dumb decisions like that PI in the first quarter.

Oregon may not have a big, hulking D line like the southern style Ds do, but they're not a Washington by any means.

So screw both of those coaches (Stanford and OK State).

1/2 yard line deciding to fuck the trip in needed for a touchdown and go for the kick instead.

And Stanford deciding to kick it instead of keeping with the momentum. They were driving and broke it all.

Congrats to OK State though. Glad they won

15+ Year Old Account
    i got to admit, the end of the rose bowl was hilarious. if you had enough time to snap the damn ball why didn't you just run a damn play?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    i got to admit, the end of the rose bowl was hilarious. if you had enough time to snap the damn ball why didn't you just run a damn play?
    I can't really fault Wisconsin there. They wanted that extra 20-25 seconds to make sure everyone was lined up and they had the right play called. It was just unfortunate that the clock seemed to start early. I find it odd that it went down like that. Shouldn't the officials have given a more clear indication of when the clock would be starting? If the players know when the clock is starting, as they should after every first down, it doesn't take two seconds to spike the ball. They got robbed of one second of game time. I don't think it would have mattered though as pulling off that last second TD pass play rarely works out except for teams facing Wisconsin. And really, who here wasn't absolutely rooting for that game to come down to a last second Hail Mary toss by the Ducks to win it? I know I was. Seeing Wisconsin lose three crucial games in that fashion this year would have been hilarious.

Hopefully Michigan can win tonight to try and salvage this Bowl season slightly for the B1G. Been pretty brutal so far. Big grats on 1-4 yesterday after 0-5 last year. The middle of the Big 10, Penn St, Nebraska, Iowa, OSU, etc., are so massively overrated.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I can't really fault Wisconsin there. They wanted that extra 20-25 seconds to make sure everyone was lined up and they had the right play called. It was just unfortunate that the clock seemed to start early. I find it odd that it went down like that. Shouldn't the officials have given a more clear indication of when the clock would be starting? If the players know when the clock is starting, as they should after every first down, it doesn't take two seconds to spike the ball. They got robbed of one second of game time. I don't think it would have mattered though as pulling off that last second TD pass play rarely works out except for teams facing Wisconsin. And really, who here wasn't absolutely rooting for that game to come down to a last second Hail Mary toss by the Ducks to win it? I know I was. Seeing Wisconsin lose three crucial games in that fashion this year would have been hilarious.

Hopefully Michigan can win tonight to try and salvage this Bowl season slightly for the B1G. Been pretty brutal so far. Big grats on 1-4 yesterday after 0-5 last year. The middle of the Big 10, Penn St, Nebraska, Iowa, OSU, etc., are so massively overrated.
    it was a first down, the clock starts as soon as the sticks are in place and the ref waves his hand.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    it was a first down, the clock starts as soon as the sticks are in place and the ref waves his hand.
    Ya and as soon as the ref did the time in, arm circling motion Wisconsin snapped the ball and it "took" two seconds for him to spike it and the clock to stop. Either the time keeper started it to soon or stopped it too late. No reason that play should have taken two seconds. Either way it was a pretty stupid risk and the Badgers should have had a better shot at that with better clock management.

The clock wasn't stopped late. They saw the ball didn't hit the ground til after :00. The problem I have is that in the instant replay the sticks are clearly not set which means the clock shouldn't have been started that early

The Georgia game made me sadface... I blame the commentators at half time for saying they thought it was a lost cause for Michigan St... /sigh

I'm sorry Arlee but that made me happy face. Improving the B1G reputation

I'm sure it did you dirty evil Michigan slug!

(idk why I went with slug just go with it!)

It was a pretty exciting game though... 3 OT's >< It's like wth??

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I'm sure it did you dirty evil Michigan slug!

(idk why I went with slug just go with it!)

It was a pretty exciting game though... 3 OT's >< It's like wth??
    I missed it due to random acts of sleep

The SEC's doing well so far, but it looks like the Big 12 will run away with the best Bowl record this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameisjona View Post
    The clock wasn't stopped late. They saw the ball didn't hit the ground til after :00. The problem I have is that in the instant replay the sticks are clearly not set which means the clock shouldn't have been started that early
    Check out this video of the chain crew in action. To me it looks like the LoS rod and down indicator are in position, but the second rod man can't set properly because people's feet are in the way of the chain. Meanwhile, some derp on the crew places the ground indicator 5 yards too deep.

I'd like to think they could do better, especially in a marquee game.

I'm sorry, but that key pass for Oregon should have been called back for a hold. It wasn't even subtle.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I missed it due to random acts of sleep

The SEC's doing well so far, but it looks like the Big 12 will run away with the best Bowl record this year.
    Besides OK.State has the Big 12 played anybody in the top 25?

The Sugar bowl right now is insane! I'm loving it

15+ Year Old Account
    I can't tell who is doing a better job of screwing themselves in the Sugar Bowl. Michigans lack of offense or Virginia Tech's lack of finishing.