Thread: NCAA football

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    I know John L. Smith has had a rough couple of weeks, so I'm really not trying to pick on him here. It's just exceptionally bad timing for such a gaffe:

John L. Smith mistakes Arkansas for Alabama during luncheon speech

WOW.......yeah, he just put the final nail in his coffin with that one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Elsewhere in today's WTF category: I was just reading this post on SI (via MLive), dated today, about the heat Denard Robinson is taking after his *ahem* performance in South Bend. This poll is on the sidebar:

Yeah. Nice work, fellas.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, I really need to stop reading the comments sections of articles.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/arkansa...ngZCXw9.8x1LYF

One retarded Arkansas fan honestly thinks that Coach Smith is as big an embarrassment to Arkansas as Jerry Sandusky is to Penn State.

Just....wow. And yeah, that's me blasting him in response to his little gem.

Im neither a Notre Dame or a Michigan fan but I hate seeing that game being done away with. Just saw it on ESPN. Even when both teams were bad it was a good game to watch. I felt the same way when they got rid of Va Tech vs Pitt. Again another great rivalry and those schools hated each other. I mean Notre Dame is going to stop playing a great football program with lots of tradition and history like a Michigan to play some ACC bum like Wake Forest or Duke? What next they gonna drop USC as well? At first I would say its about money but they would lose money but not playing Michigan and pick up a cupcake school instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    "To hell with Notre Dame." -- Bo Schembechler

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Go DUCKS!

BCS National Title Game: Alabama vs. Oregon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alilei32 View Post
    Im neither a Notre Dame or a Michigan fan but I hate seeing that game being done away with. Just saw it on ESPN. Even when both teams were bad it was a good game to watch.
    maybe they'll meet in the playoffs

.... I just can't keep a straight face...

it took me awhile to type that with all the laughing, and that's from somebody else who enjoys the ND/Michigan games, its a pity to lose a rivalry game, a lot of them have been going with all this conference shuffling

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    maybe they'll meet in the playoffs

.... I just can't keep a straight face...

it took me awhile to type that with all the laughing, and that's from somebody else who enjoys the ND/Michigan games, its a pity to lose a rivalry game, a lot of them have been going with all this conference shuffling
    But why go to a horrible conference. Notre Dame would be better off in the Big 10 or what ever they are calling themselves now. The ACC is just terrible for football. Hell I would rank Football as a 3rd rate sport in the ACC behind Basketball and Lacrosse. They have like 1 decent team every year and by decent I mean the only reason they get to play in a BCS Bowl game is because they have to send someone. They never earn their BCS bid its given to them by a crappy rule. Hell last year like 3 or 4 top 10 ranked schools didnt make it to a BCS bowl and they let Clemson and West VA go to one? I cant wait till playoffs so we can keep the Kansas City Royals and Cleveland Browns of College football where they belong...at the bottom. Hell everyone talked about how badass Florida States Defense was supposed to be and they just gave up 37 to a terrible and always over rated Clemson Team. Sure they won but they wouldnt stand a chance playing an Oregon or Alabama for the National Title.
    Last edited by Alilei32; 2012-09-27 at 03:19 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alilei32 View Post
    But why go to a horrible conference. Notre Dame would be better off in the Big 10 or what ever they are calling themselves now. The ACC is just terrible for football. Hell I would rank Football as a 3rd rate sport in the ACC behind Basketball and Lacrosse. They have like 1 decent team every year and by decent I mean the only reason they get to play in a BCS Bowl game is because they have to send someone. They never earn their BCS bid its given to them by a crappy rule. Hell last year like 3 or 4 top 10 ranked schools didnt make it to a BCS bowl and they let Clemson and West VA go to one? I cant wait till playoffs so we can keep the Kansas City Royals and Cleveland Browns of College football where they belong...at the bottom. Hell everyone talked about how badass Florida States Defense was supposed to be and they just gave up 37 to a terrible and always over rated Clemson Team. Sure they won but they wouldnt stand a chance playing an Oregon or Alabama for the National Title.
    Because said conference, while being terrible, is still an AQ conference and all Notre Dame cares about is money. None of the other conferences are going to let them keep their NBC tv deal money away from the conference. They aren't going to let a team be a kinda, sort, almost member. The ACC can because the ACC is a dying conference that is a total joke anyways. Notre Dame gets the best of both worlds. They get more games against a "conference" opponent that offers them stability without that stability killing them (playing powerhouses or former powerhouses like USC, Michigan, MSU, Purdue every year). They get to keep the select non-"conference" games they want and they get to supplement their schedule with laughable ACC teams that have more prestige in the eyes of the rankers than their games against the terrible military schools. They might not get the ACC AQ, but it helps them increase their chances of reaching whatever their AQ is (automatically in if in top 8 or something like that). Plus they get to keep all their money and god knows that is all they or most colleges care about really.

10+ Year Old Account
    I knew Stanford was overrated at number 8 but I did not expect them to lose to Washington. PAC-12 just got more interesting.

Oregon will win the Pac-12. Alabama will play in the National Championship, possibly against Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Go DUCKS!

BCS National Title Game: Alabama vs. Oregon
    PAC12 is too good this year, Oregon will have 2 losses more than likely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, seven minutes into the game and two Hawaiian defensive players have been carted off. It doesn't help that the commentators are morons, saying a QB who's 5/5 with 55 yards is bad, and using every fucking sentence to say the two injured's names, because they're getting jollies out of saying them.

---------- Post added 2012-09-28 at 09:38 PM ----------

I love how ESPN just decides that it's a good idea to cut away from a game to show another in a different sport just because something MIGHT happen. What the hell.

---------- Post added 2012-09-28 at 10:08 PM ----------

Hmm, I thought there was a rule, either in college or NFL, that says that you can't advance a fumble. If the team that fumbled recovers the fumble, it's spotted back where it was fumbled.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Wow, seven minutes into the game and two Hawaiian defensive players have been carted off. It doesn't help that the commentators are morons, saying a QB who's 5/5 with 55 yards is bad, and using every fucking sentence to say the two injured's names, because they're getting jollies out of saying them.
    Is that game on right now?

I love how ESPN just decides that it's a good idea to cut away from a game to show another in a different sport just because something MIGHT happen. What the hell.
    I hate that.

Hmm, I thought there was a rule, either in college or NFL, that says that you can't advance a fumble. If the team that fumbled recovers the fumble, it's spotted back where it was fumbled.
    I think it's the NFL. In college, the fumble is spotted where it's recovered (in your example, where fumbling team recovers their own fumble).

---------- Post added 2012-09-29 at 02:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    That's what I'm afraid of. Although USC isn't looking so tough, and Standard's QB looks like he needs some more game time to get it together.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post

Who's gonna give them 2 losses? USC has a chance since it's in Pasadena. Oregon State, depending on how they do the rest of the season, could have a chance at the Civil War game in cow town. Stanford plays in Eugene so I don't see them winning that one.

No one else in the conference really scares me though. MAYBE the Huskies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Projali View Post
    Who's gonna give them 2 losses? USC has a chance since it's in Pasadena. Oregon State, depending on how they do the rest of the season, could have a chance at the Civil War game in cow town. Stanford plays in Eugene so I don't see them winning that one.

No one else in the conference really scares me though. MAYBE the Huskies.
    I'm not buying into the huskies hype.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    I'm not buying into the huskies hype.
    And I'm not buying into Oregon St. So that just leaves Oregon and USC. Stanford was overrated when they got thrown up into the number 8 spot after beating USC. If USC beats Oregon, then we'll end up with two one-loss teams there.

This West Virginia game is insane. I wanna see some records being broken. Like, NCAA records. Only problem is it's on FOX. Apparently they don't have the yellow line for first downs. Guess they're just too good for it. And their theme music is the same as their NFL music for some reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    And I'm not buying into Oregon St. So that just leaves Oregon and USC. Stanford was overrated when they got thrown up into the number 8 spot after beating USC. If USC beats Oregon, then we'll end up with two one-loss teams there.

This West Virginia game is insane. I wanna see some records being broken. Like, NCAA records. Only problem is it's on FOX. Apparently they don't have the yellow line for first downs. Guess they're just too good for it. And their theme music is the same as their NFL music for some reason.
    Yeah I agree. People are freaking out about Oregon State, I don't buy it either.

I'm watching that game. Its been a back and forth shoot off.

Geno Smith has made a name for himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Yeah I agree. People are freaking out about Oregon State, I don't buy it either.

I'm watching that game. Its been a back and forth shoot off.

Geno Smith has made a name for himself.
    Meh, I'm just glad to see the Beavers winning some decent games this season. I'm as diehard a Ducks fan as any other alum is but I'd rather have a decent OSU team instead of the guaranteed win game the Civil War has become in recent years. Rivalries aren't as fun when your opponent plays like a high school team.
    Last edited by Projali; 2012-09-29 at 07:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Projali View Post
    Meh, I'm just glad to see the Beavers winning some decent games this season. I'm as diehard a Ducks fan as any other alum is but I'd rather have a decent OSU team instead of the guaranteed win game the Civil War has become in recent years. Rivalries aren't as fun when your opponent plays like a high school team.
    This is true. I personally am a Oregon fan also.