Thread: NCAA football

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    everybody has seen Oklahoma lose enough of them already
    I wish FSU had been bumped out and Oklahoma played NIU just for the laughs when Oklahoma blew another bowl game to a team they should crush. Sooners blow.

10+ Year Old Account
    I must say that I am not surprised that we get the shittiest lineup for bowl games that I can ever recall. The could not have screwed it up more after letting in NIU. What a joke.

I can honestly say that I have never cared less about the bowl games outside of the title game. I think ratings shall speak for myself and all of the other dissatisfied fans.
    I like sandwiches

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    I must say that I am not surprised that we get the shittiest lineup for bowl games that I can ever recall. The could not have screwed it up more after letting in NIU. What a joke.

I can honestly say that I have never cared less about the bowl games outside of the title game. I think ratings shall speak for myself and all of the other dissatisfied fans.
    Ya I am excited to watch about 5 games: ND/Bama (although not that excited at all), Oregon/KSU, Michigan/SCar, GT/USC, and Oklahoma/A&M. That is really it. Most of the other games feature just horribly uniteresting games or should be massive blowouts.

Blowouts: Sugar, Orange, Heart of Dallas (I'm starting to think 82-0), Cap One, Pinstripe, Meinike, Go Daddy (I think Ark St is going to kill Kent but this game could be watchable)

The rest of the games are either unwatchable or I just don't care at all about the outcomes. I challenge anyone to watch one half of the TCU/MSU game and try to be entertained. Watching MSU is like watching fucking paint dry. Their offense is abysmally unwatchable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right now I am just happy that basketball is up and running. See this thread in a month or so.
    I like sandwiches

15+ Year Old Account
    The MAC is going to propose a plan to its President's giving NIU a larger portion of their bowl payouts in order to prevent the school from losing money by going to the Orange Bowl. NIU is required to purchase 17,500 tickets to the Orange Bowl. Every single one of those tickets will be bought a face values from $75-225. NIU has no choice but to pay face value for those tickets and then attempt to sell them. In the end NIU is going to sell maybe 10% of those tickets at face value since tickets for the Orange Bowl will be around $10 on the secondary market like they are for every bowl.

Fuck the BCS. Fuck the NCAA for allowing the BCS to continue to exist and pillage millions and millions of dollars from its schools.

10+ Year Old Account
    Johnny Manziel, Colin Klein, and Manti Te'o are officially the three finalists for the Heisman. Kind of a small list. Johnny Football wins, I'm sure. Will he be the first freshman to ever win if he does?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Johnny Manziel, Colin Klein, and Manti Te'o are officially the three finalists for the Heisman. Kind of a small list. Johnny Football wins, I'm sure. Will he be the first freshman to ever win if he does?
    He would be the first freshman ever, yes.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If Johnny Manziel (I refuse to call him Johnny Football) wins then they should call it the the offensive MVP instead of Heisman. I mean really Johnny Manziel lost 2 games and didn't play good in either one yet Manti Te'os team is undefeated and he hasn't played badly at all.

I don't really have a problem with them going with a short list, I still think Jonathon Franklin deserved a spot in New York. I'm not saying he should win or anything, but I think he's been tragically underrated all season, and I think he deserved to come in as a clear fourth, or even possibly third.

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    If Johnny Manziel (I refuse to call him Johnny Football) wins then they should call it the the offensive MVP instead of Heisman. I mean really Johnny Manziel lost 2 games and didn't play good in either one yet Manti Te'os team is undefeated and he hasn't played badly at all.
    i will admit to Manti being an exceptional defender. Kinda the thing with winning the Heisman is having that "moment". I just believe like many do, that he never had that defining moment. Manziel did, and Klein........Klein is just there for the invite.

actually i take that back. He had a pretty good interception vs Oklahoma. Looking at stats(which only tells so much) there are a handful of players occupying a top 10 in stats. What i feel with Manti'teo is him just being in the right place at critical points. Maybe voters are gonna say, "but where is the rest of the time". He doesnt lead in any statistical category. Tackles,TfL, interceptions, FF, FR. The one category hes even in the top 50, better defenders have produced touchdowns and 100+ interception yards.

So honestly, when you look at the stats, what is so...Heisman worthy of Manti'Teo? He's got the moment, he's got the Notre Dame brand (which honestly i think is the whole reason why he's going to be at the ceremony) His stats are exceptional in 1 category, but other players are just exceptional, and some even produced points for it. How far can timeliness take you? we'll see during the presentation.
    Last edited by Logonov; 2012-12-04 at 04:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

10+ Year Old Account
    So...Heisman winners can only come from national champions?

He's been the best player in CFB and he should win it this year. It will be a shame if he doesn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    So...Heisman winners can only come from national champions?
    No but it seems like when somebody is in the lead and they lose one game they are out of the running kinda weird its the reverse this year all of the sudden. Also when was the last time a defense player won it Charles Woodson and that was because of special team returns.
    @Oldskoolz what makes Johnny M better then Manti Te'o. I bet anything Manti Te'o will have a better NFL career then Johnny M he's just a better player he just happens to play on the wrong side of the football.
    Last edited by Skarsguard; 2012-12-04 at 05:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree that defensive players don't win it. As you mentioned, Woodson was the only one, and only because of special teams. But, potential NFL career has nothing to do with it either. I mean, the last ten years, we've had Matt Leinhart, Jason White, Troy Smith, Tim Tebow, Mark Ingram, all with unknown pro careers. When you think of what's-his-name from West Virginia this year, I don't think he lost out of the Heisman race because they lost. he lost out because he played bad and stopped racking up numbers. Losing games and losing your chances are not one in the same.

Last year, RG3 won the Heisman. From Baylor. Baylor. Tebow won in it 2007, when Florida was nowhere to be found. 2002, Carson Palmer with no USC playing for a title. So more often than not, yeah, the Heisman winner seems to play for a national title. But you can't deny someone else's accomplishments just because their team isn't the best.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not denying his accomplishments I am just saying that what's the point of even putting a defensive player in the vote when they are probably not going to win. BTW one of those years that Tebow won McFadden should have won it instead but Florida had the better record it was lame. But anyways I think N.Su was another case in which a D. player got in but didn't win that probably should have won. I guess it goes for the same with the NFL and the MVP it seems to always go to a QB or sometimes a RB but always an Offensive player.

10+ Year Old Account
    The NFL is worse. Only QB's and RB's.

1986 Lawrence Taylor New York Giants Linebacker
    1982 Mark Moseley Washington Redskins Placekicker

the only two in the past 30 years. And...a kicker? Wow. Either things were different back then, or he was the greatest kicker ever.

Either things were different back then, or he was the greatest kicker ever.
    He was 16 of 19 on extra points. Really. Seriously. I'd pay $20 to see a 30 for 30 on how the fuck that whole thing unfolded. It was a strike year and all, but I still don't get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm looking and he had TWO count 'em TWO game winning FGs, one of them was even in OT! simply amazing...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    He was 16 of 19 on extra points. Really. Seriously. I'd pay $20 to see a 30 for 30 on how the fuck that whole thing unfolded. It was a strike year and all, but I still don't get it.
    Ya it is a total joke, but at the time he set the record for most consecutive FGs made and basically carried his team to the playoffs. There were games where he scored all of their points. He made several huge kicks to tie or win games as time expired or in OT. It is a joke when you consider the seasons Wes Chandler (49 rec, 1032 yards, 9 TDs) and Marcus Allen (1098 yds, 14 TDs) had, but in some dark twisted 80s way it makes sense for the kicker to have won despite somehow missing three XPs in 9 games. And yes they really need to do a 30 for 30 or even one of their mini online ones about how the hell that ever happened.

I'm thinking it had to be entirely narrative driven. I just can't even imagine how that narrative unfolded. I know Simmons loves the Mosely factoid as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if Grantland did a piece on it at some point.