Thread: NCAA football

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm thinking it had to be entirely narrative driven. I just can't even imagine how that narrative unfolded. I know Simmons loves the Mosely factoid as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if Grantland did a piece on it at some point.
    They did just do a 30 for 30 mini on the Arnold Palmer drink so ya it has to be in the works somewhere lol.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ugghh my Razorbacks just hired a lame big 10 coach Bret Bielema from the Badgers worst hire ever well since John L. Smith. U gotta understand Arkansas has more money then probably any team as far as getting a coach we have this thing called Wal-Mart money it's unlimited it seems anyways seems they could have gotten somebody better...
    Last edited by Skarsguard; 2012-12-04 at 08:39 PM.

Mike Gundy possible candidate for Tennessee?

I just don't see it, especially with OSU's success since he took over after Miles left. Additionally, sugar daddy T. Boone Pickens could match pretty much any offer the Vols can make.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Ugghh my Razorbacks just hired a lame big 10 coach Bret Bielema from the Badgers worst hire ever well since John L. Smith. U gotta understand Arkansas has more money then probably any team as far as getting a coach we have this thing called Wal-Mart money it's unlimited it seems anyways seems they could have gotten somebody better...
    Well, that is something. Bielema isn't a terrible coach and he does play a more SEC friendly style so it could work out. Not like Wisconsin was unsuccessful or anything.

As an Arkansas fan as well I'm trying to figure out how this is a bad hire? Guy has been to 7 bowl games in 8 years, been to 3 straight rose bowls, came real close a couple of seasons to going undefeated. As Conscript said, he tends to play a more in your face, bruising style that works far better in the SEC. Unless you think having to score 40 points a game to win because you have no defense is the way to go ( like the Petrino era ) then I really can't see why its bad.

Heck the guy is an experienced head coach from the Big 10, I just don't get the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not a bad hire I just felt like complaining that it wasn't a big name :P. The best high school running back in the country goes to North Little Rock which is where I went but anyways he is going to Alabama. I don't think he is going to handle the best players in the state going to bigger named schools with bigger named coaches in the same conference I mean didn't he bitch about Urban Myer snipping recruits. I also don't know if he knows how to recruit for Arkansas most of our best players comes from Texas and the surrounding area's I don't think he has any ties around here or the surrounding states.

---------- Post added 2012-12-04 at 05:06 PM ----------

Gus Malzahn just accepted the Auburn job...He just got to Arkansas State this year wow that is lame. He was the high school coach that had one of the best teams in high school then went on the O cord for Arkansas followed by Tulsa then Auburn the of course Ark.State he has been good everywhere he has been. I would have rather hired him then the guy from the Badgers but Arkansas wasn't going to snipe him from state.

It's not a bad hire I just felt like complaining that it wasn't a big name :P. The best high school running back in the country goes to North Little Rock which is where I went but anyways he is going to Alabama. I don't think he is going to handle the best players in the state going to bigger named schools with bigger named coaches in the same conference I mean didn't he bitch about Urban Myer snipping recruits. I also don't know if he knows how to recruit for Arkansas most of our best players comes from Texas and the surrounding area's I don't think he has any ties around here or the surrounding states.

---------- Post added 2012-12-04 at 05:06 PM ----------

Gus Malzahn just accepted the Auburn job...He just got to Arkansas State this year wow that is lame. He was the high school coach that had one of the best teams in high school then went on the O cord for Arkansas followed by Tulsa then Auburn the of course Ark.State he has been good everywhere he has been. I would have rather hired him then the guy from the Badgers but Arkansas wasn't going to snipe him from state.
    Actually I think you'll be rather surprised where this guy has recruiting roots. He has 11 players out of the State of Florida, and apparently just about as many out of Texas on his Wisconsin team. From everything I'm reading the guy is one hell of a recruiter and should have zero issue recruiting inside the state of Texas. Also outside of Saban or Meyer, I'm not sure how much bigger you could get name wise. The only reason he's not a household name is because Wisconsin is not a stop off school, no one imagined he would ever leave.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you SEC folks want more fuel to prove you are better than the Big 10 look at it this way. The coach for the third best program in the Big 10 (meaning the best situation behind Michigan and OSU since PSU tanked with the scandal) just left for like the 5th or 6th most relevant program in the SEC (behind Bama, LSU, Georgia, and Florida at least). That goes to show how much better the football situation is down there.

Keep in mind also Bielema replaced Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin, who brought the program back from absolutely nothing. A team that went 1-1-10 to 3 years later going 10-1-1. Bielema had to keep a streak going and has taken the team to the Rose Bowl multiples times since his promotion from D-cord. He's also had 6(soon to be 7) consecutive bowl appearances.

Notably Wisconsin has held a more smash mouth style type of football with Alvarez and Bielema, maintaining an excellent running back corps through the years (Monte Ball and Heisman Trophy winner Ron Dayne back with Alvarez). Bielema has definitely adapted when the situation called for it(recruiting Russel Wilson).

I think the Razorbacks will be ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea after thinking about it last night it's actually a good hire. His style should fit into the SEC style of ground and pound so that shouldn't be an issue and like I said before no other school can match our money so that played into him coming here not the whole top 3 big 10 school coming to a mid sec school it was about money for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Auburn did the right thing. I wanted to see Petrino simply because of the talk show material.

As far as Heisman goes, is it any surprise that we do not have any really great candidates? This really has been a lackluster season in all regards.

That really sucks about NIU. It is like they are just trying to fuck everyone over.
    I like sandwiches

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    That really sucks about NIU. It is like they are just trying to fuck everyone over.
    Don't blame NIU, blame the BCS. The BCS had to make the rule which allowed NIU to get in thanks to an antitrust suit. Had the BCS not fucked over smaller conferences for years, this situation wouldn't happen. Then again, blame the NCAA. If the NCAA would reach down between its legs and find its fucking testicles they could tell the BCS to go fuck itself and run their own playoff system instead of having the BCS leech literally billions from the schools every single year. But that is what we get. The ultra rich buy influence with their money and then breed a culture of corruption and cronyism that keeps going on and on. It is exactly the same thing as lobbying in Washington. Line the pockets of the right people with money, send them on free cruises, and they suddenly become your puppet. That is basically all the conference commissioners and the ADs at the most powerful schools are anymore, money puppets for the BCS bowl operators.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    snip
    Ya, I was referring to your earlier information. Which is why I said "everyone", which would include the folks at NIU. I recall this sort of thing hitting another team pretty hard a while back. Can't recall who.

Whenever there is a question as to why something is the way it is, it is always about money.
    I like sandwiches

15+ Year Old Account
    You know those crazy expensive Orange Bowl tickets the bowl made NIU buy at face value of $75-200+ like they do every school because they are fucking corrupt? Ya Orange Bowl tickets are going for less than $10 on Stubhub and there are hundreds available. Fuck the BCS

You know those crazy expensive Orange Bowl tickets the bowl made NIU buy at face value of $75-200+ like they do every school because they are fucking corrupt? Ya Orange Bowl tickets are going for less than $10 on Stubhub and there are hundreds available. Fuck the BCS
    It won't happen but part of me wished that NIU just didn't show up and refused to pay for the tickets. Orange Bowl sitting there with no game would make me LOL.

10+ Year Old Account
    The other awards are about to start, but Manti Te'o has already been announced as the winner of the Walter Camp Player of Year award.

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 07:36 PM ----------

Johnny Manziel and Montee Ball got a birthday cake at the awards show! Strip their wins, they're receiving gifts!

.... *ahem* sorry, continue.

15+ Year Old Account
    Barry Alvarez is going to coach Wisconsin in their bowl game?! That is pure win. I am suddenly less confident in my pick of Stanford winning the game. That is a pretty awesome emotional lift for Wisconsin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Barry Alvarez is going to coach Wisconsin in their bowl game?! That is pure win. I am suddenly less confident in my pick of Stanford winning the game. That is a pretty awesome emotional lift for Wisconsin.
    I still think Stanford will win.

I still think Stanford will win.
    Yup.

I wish Wisconsin luck finding a coach, that situation reminds me so much of the Frank Broyles years in Arkansas with him as AD. So many coaches wouldn't take that job because they always felt like he was standing over them, oddly enough about like Jerry Jones in Dallas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Yup.

I wish Wisconsin luck finding a coach, that situation reminds me so much of the Frank Broyles years in Arkansas with him as AD. So many coaches wouldn't take that job because they always felt like he was standing over them, oddly enough about like Jerry Jones in Dallas.
    Very oddly since Jerry Jones was the co captain of the 1964 Arkansas team that won the NC game under Broyles. Barry Switzer, Johnny Majors, Joe Gibbs and Jimmy Johnson have all served under Broyles at one time or the other he is pretty legendary in Arkansas for sure.