Thread: NCAA football

10+ Year Old Account
    Tommy Tuberville has jumped ship from Texas Tech for.....Cincinnati? Kinda curious as why he'd willingly leave a Big XII program for one stuck in the 'new' Big East. How much did they have to put on the table for him to take that kind of leap?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...nnati-bearcats

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Finangus View Post
    Tommy Tuberville has jumped ship from Texas Tech for.....Cincinnati? Kinda curious as why he'd willingly leave a Big XII program for one stuck in the 'new' Big East. How much did they have to put on the table for him to take that kind of leap?

Same reason TCU jumped to the Big East. Easy chance at a free BCS game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Same reason TCU jumped to the Big East. Easy chance at a free BCS game.
    Huh? TCU is in the Big 12, and has never been apart of the Big East. They actually reneged on an agreement to join them, instead joining the Big 12. Also, the Big East will no longer be considered an 'AQ' conference, and its schools with have to compete with MWC, C-USA, MAC, and SBC schools for a single 'playoff' berth. So, he left a conference with one guaranteed 'playoff' berth, with the high possibility of getting an at-large berth as well, for a conference that might get a single berth if its champion is ranked higher than the champion from the other 'have-not' conferences, with little to no possibility of grabbing an at-large berth.

Again, I'm having a hard time seeing the logic in this move, other than Cincy offered him more money. I dunno, maybe he was worried he'd get fired if the team didn't win the Big 12 next year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im sad my Ohio State Buckeyes are ineligible this year, I think they could have gave Notre Dame a run for the title

10+ Year Old Account
    Huh? TCU is in the Big 12, and has never been apart of the Big East. They actually reneged on an agreement to join them, instead joining the Big 12. Also, the Big East will no longer be considered an 'AQ' conference, and its schools with have to compete with MWC, C-USA, MAC, and SBC schools for a single 'playoff' berth. So, he left a conference with one guaranteed 'playoff' berth, with the high possibility of getting an at-large berth as well, for a conference that might get a single berth if its champion is ranked higher than the champion from the other 'have-not' conferences, with little to no possibility of grabbing an at-large berth.

Again, I'm having a hard time seeing the logic in this move, other than Cincy offered him more money. I dunno, maybe he was worried he'd get fired if the team didn't win the Big 12 next year.
    I wasn't aware TCU ducked out of that contract. But for now, the Big East still has a BCS bid, which is why they would go in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've stopped trying to keep track of the conference swapping, its way beyond the point of ridiculousness

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I've stopped trying to keep track of the conference swapping, its way beyond the point of ridiculousness
    It feels like a drain on the institution of college football. I always figured NFL to be money grabbing whores who go where the cash is best (and deserved, they are stellar athletes) but this conference swapping every year is looking like that.

maybe Cincinnati has something in mind? Grab a top quality coach, maybe a quick move to the Big Ten or ACC? It's only a guess
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

15+ Year Old Account

WTF? That seems like a pretty significant downgrade in coaching situation unless I am overestimating the TTU program and severely underestimating the commitment to football at Cinncy. I get that he is friends with the AD, but man that is a weird move. I really figured Cinncy would hire whoever is the coach at Central Michigan again like they have the last two times their coach left.

---------- Post added 2012-12-08 at 09:03 PM ----------

Johnny Football wins the Heisman. Meh. Still think the player who was fantastic every game and led his team to an undefeated record and the NC game should have won it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    WTF? That seems like a pretty significant downgrade in coaching situation unless I am overestimating the TTU program and severely underestimating the commitment to football at Cinncy. I get that he is friends with the AD, but man that is a weird move. I really figured Cinncy would hire whoever is the coach at Central Michigan again like they have the last two times their coach left.

---------- Post added 2012-12-08 at 09:03 PM ----------

Johnny Football wins the Heisman. Meh. Still think the player who was fantastic every game and led his team to an undefeated record and the NC game should have won it.
    I still don't get the "Heisman winners should have every game top stats" and "and they should always win games". RG3 won last year. Had a bad game against Texas Tech. Lost three games. NOBODY plays great every game. Everybody has a bad game.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    It should have been the ND defensive player. Perfect year for it, and giving the Heisman to a Freshman, even one as obviously good as Johnny, should never happen. It was a perfect year for a defensive player to win it, and they so rarely do, that is should have been him.

---------- Post added 2012-12-09 at 02:44 AM ----------

I still don't get the "Heisman winners should have every game top stats" and "and they should always win games". RG3 won last year. Had a bad game against Texas Tech. Lost three games. NOBODY plays great every game. Everybody has a bad game.
    I agree with you that Heisman winners don't need great stats every game. Should have gone to the ND player.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't aware TCU ducked out of that contract. But for now, the Big East still has a BCS bid, which is why they would go in the first place.
    Yup, and it actually triggered a $5 million lawsuit from the Big East against TCU, but they dropped it this past summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Logonov View Post
    maybe Cincinnati has something in mind? Grab a top quality coach, maybe a quick move to the Big Ten or ACC? It's only a guess
    Maybe. Last I heard, they're hoping they can get a ACC invite in 2014. Of course, there's no telling what the conferences will look like by then, or whether the ACC will even want Cincinnati in the first place.

Well, I do know that they (Cincinnati) have been having attendance problems as of late. For example, if memory serves me correctly, they barely had 21k in attendance during their Senior Night game. Granted, they have upgraded their facilities and are looking to expand their stadium, so maybe things will start to improve for them. Here's another theory I just came up with: maybe Tubby was sick of being in a conference where one team (Texas) lords over it like a tyrant.

why is being a freshman a disqualifier to so many people?
    Last edited by Logonov; 2012-12-09 at 04:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logonov View Post
    why is being a freshman a disqualifier to so many people?
    I don't think they should be but at the same time I don't think somebody should disqualify because he plays on the wrong side of the ball either. Like I said before since Johnny Menziel won the Heisman should be named MVP of offense or MVP of QB/RB/WR because that's all that ever wins.
    Last edited by Skarsguard; 2012-12-09 at 07:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't really take the Heisman seriously if they only consider giving it to two positions

Weak field for Heisman this year. While Manziel put up great stats I guess breaking combined yards of Cam in SEC, people put too much on Alabama win. Its not like Bama was a undefeatable team. He still had two subpar games vs good teams.

The worst was watching ESPN interview with Colin Klein and he was asked something about comparing his first kiss ever during his wedding night to winning a football game. Frikin moron ESPN!! Was so dumb in so many ways such as prying into his personal life, beliefs and trying to make an analogy with wedding night and a football game.

I honestly don't think a Freshman should win it, mainly because how weak is college football if a Freshman is good enough to win it. ND player should of won it IMO.

As far as the Tubberville move, I see it as a guy moving because its a reset and removes the pressue of winning right now. There was a time where doing a good job and winning most of your games assurred you a job, now if you don't win enough or have a bad season they are sending you out the door. Moving kind of resets that timer and he may have felt his time was about up there. Get out while the gettins good.

The conference shifting doesn't bother me, in fact its actually going back to the days of old. Go back and check in the history of most of these conferences, the moving right now is nothing compared to the 30's - 70's.

15+ Year Old Account
    Holy hell all the stories about "would you draft Johnny Football" if you could are retarded for so many reasons, which I will now list
    1) He is a run heavy QB. They never work in the NFL. Ever. You can have running as a weapon, like RG3, Wilson, Kaepernick among others. Running can't be the second button on your hotbar though (WoW comparison ftw). It needs to be 4th or 5th. It isn't for Manziel, at least not yet.
    2) For an award that is only ever won by offensive players, he nearly lost the Heisman to a defense only player in one of the most down Heisman years in awhile. Last year RG3 won the Heisman and his stats obliterate Manziel's in every single way.
    3) He was good in one of their three big games and shit you can say he was only good for one quarter in that game. He didn't go out and shock the world by dominating against superior opponents. He was downright bad in a couple of his other big games like the LSU game.

---------- Post added 2012-12-10 at 04:48 PM ----------

Florida State is now apparently selling Orange Bowl tickets at half face value. Yes, they are now taking a loss of half the price on every single ticket sold. Thanks BCS!

Apparently Bobby Petrino has been hired at Western Kentucky. After all the places his name has been listed at and WKU is the best he could do? lol

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Apparently Bobby Petrino has been hired at Western Kentucky. After all the places his name has been listed at and WKU is the best he could do? lol
    I don't think it was the best he could do I think he wanted a team where he could lay low and probably get a good job in 2 years.