Thread: NCAA football

What a pitiful game to watch.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    then they shouldn't have lost to Stanford at home, besides, I already got to see Oregon get smothered by an SEC team and lose the BCS Championship game
    What the fuck are you talking about? I know you're not talking about the Auburn game - the one where Auburn won on the last play, by 3 points. Modern Oregon has never been "smothered" by an SEC team. Period. And sure, they shouldn't have lost to Stanford, but that's not Alabama's fault. It's not the countries fault. Why should we all have to watch a shitty and completely predictable "NC" game when the wrong teams are playing?

There was no better NC match-up this year than Alabama vs Oregon.

(I of course say all this in the friendly spirit of football talk - meaning no disrespect to anyone)
    Last edited by cubby; 2013-01-08 at 04:06 AM.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    What the fuck are you talking about? I know you're not talking about the Auburn game - the one where Auburn won on the last play, by 3 points. Modern Oregon has never been "smothered" by an SEC team. Period. And sure, they shouldn't have lost to Stanford, but that's not Alabama's fault. It's not the countries fault. Why should we all have to watch a shitty and completely predictable "NC" game when the wrong teams are playing?

There was no better NC match-up this year than Alabama vs Oregon.

(I of course say all this in the friendly spirit of football talk - meaning no disrespect to anyone)
    Oregon has played two SEC teams in the last few years and have lost both. What was the score of the Oregon vs LSU match oh yeah 40-27.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I turned it off before it even hit half time. What a snooze of a game. *yawn* Alabama does it. Again.

I like to dream about how it would have been with OSU-ND. Or OSU-Bama.

Alas, players from the past hurting the players of the future in OSU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Oregon has played two SEC teams in the last few years and have lost both. What was the score of the Oregon vs LSU match oh yeah 40-27.
    If that's your idea of a smothering, than you really have no idea what you're talking about - at all. It's cute that you're trying though but you're only embarrassing yourself the more you post. But keep at it, we all need the chuckles after this nightmare of a NC game.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 04:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    I turned it off before it even hit half time. What a snooze of a game. *yawn* Alabama does it. Again.

I like to dream about how it would have been with OSU-ND. Or OSU-Bama.

Alas, players from the past hurting the players of the future in OSU.
    Obviously I'm bias, but if you care to comment, do you think Oregon would have given them a run for their money? THAT's the title game I think a lot of people wanted to see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sad part is? Bama is a relatively young team. They just replaced a bunch of their defense last year, and most of the important offensive players are coming back, including McCarron, and Yeldon's a freshman. Lacy's a junior, but I can't see any reason for him to leave.

Thing is though, they do lose Barrett Jones and Chance Warmack. While I think Yeldon's strength gives him a lot of yards after contact, lacy seems more like the patient, find a hole kind of guy, and relies a little bit more on the line to poke the holes. Add to that two senior tight ends, and you may not see such a dominant running game. Or maybe not.
    Obviously I'm bias, but if you care to comment, do you think Oregon would have given them a run for their money? THAT's the title game I think a lot of people wanted to see.
    I think everyone thought Oregon would be a better opponent. But I won't comment on what would have happened. At least in two years, we won't have to worry about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    It might have been at least a bit more interesting. I am sure Oregon would have spread the Bama defense quite a bit and made them think twice about blitzing. Otherwise, I was actually pretty excited for ND to be in the championship game, but wow did the flaws come out and come out quick. (helped along by some TERRIBLE calls by refs. Looking at the replay of the muffed punt again, you can clearly see the ND player trying to pull up with the late fair catch wave and getting an elbow straight into the back to shove him into the Bama player- sorry I cant remember names)

Edit: Yes, I am a firm believer in the bad calls pushing momentum against ND. Deflating their confidence.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    It might have been at least a bit more interesting. I am sure Oregon would have spread the Bama defense quite a bit and made them think twice about blitzing. Otherwise, I was actually pretty excited for ND to be in the championship game, but wow did the flaws come out and come out quick. (helped along by some TERRIBLE calls by refs. Looking at the replay of the muffed punt again, you can clearly see the ND player trying to pull up with the late fair catch wave and getting an elbow straight into the back to shove him into the Bama player- sorry I cant remember names)

Edit: Yes, I am a firm believer in the bad calls pushing momentum against ND. Deflating their confidence.
    I can see how a few bad calls can really affect a close game, entirely change the outcome in fact. And there is something to be said for a teams confidence. But there is only one reason a team is down 35-0 in the national title game, and that's because they were highly overrated - something I've been saying for the entire season.

There is no doubt that Bama is an excellent football team, and against a grind-it-out offense like ND, they are going to crush them. The beauty of an Oregon match-up would be that Bama would be facing an offense they are not conditioned to defend as readily - see the Tex-Tech game for a perfect example. Oregon runs a better style offense that Tech does, and Tech beat Bama soundly.

I am not saying that Oregon would have won, I'm not that blindly loyal, but it would have been a hell of a lot better game that the embarrassment that is going on now.

Edit: and yeah, just saw the replays on that punt - whoops on the refs part.
    Last edited by cubby; 2013-01-08 at 04:37 AM.

national title games are almost always a disappointment, there has only been one close BCS national championship game I believe, the rest have been routs

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont disagree that Oregon-Bama would have been a much better championship game, I just feel that the nervous energy of ND was pushed in the wrong direction with some crushing calls against them.

Again, Oregon spreading the Bama defense would have been fun to watch. I also think it would have been quite the shootout between the teams since Bama has a most excellent O-line.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    national title games are almost always a disappointment, there has only been one close BCS national championship game I believe, the rest have been routs
    Yeah, the only close one was Oregon/Auburn. 21-19. Ironically both with "blowout" offenses. Cameron Newton was a fucking god though, almost unstoppable.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 04:46 AM ----------

I dont disagree that Oregon-Bama would have been a much better championship game, I just feel that the nervous energy of ND was pushed in the wrong direction with some crushing calls against them.

Again, Oregon spreading the Bama defense would have been fun to watch. I also think it would have been quite the shootout between the teams since Bama has a most excellent O-line.
    And Oregon's D-line isn't nearly as big. I fear that Bama would have pulled out the win in the end because of that (not just because of that, but mostly - that kind of size difference can eat away at you after awhile, regardless of talent). When Oregon played Auburn, line-size was a huge issue. In fact, Newton was bigger than all but three of the entire Oregon team, and he was the fucking quarterback (albeit a HUGE one - biggest in awhile, iirc).

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the only close one was Oregon/Auburn. 21-19. Ironically both with "blowout" offenses. Cameron Newton was a fucking god though, almost unstoppable.
    Vince Young, Texas vs. USC. I think outside of BSU vs. Oklahoma, my favorite game ever to watch.

One?

1998: Tennessee 23, Florida State 16
    2000: Oklahoma 13, Florida State 2 (technically a close game)
    2002: Ohio State 31, Miami 24
    2003: LSU 21, Oklahoma 14
    2005: Texas 41, USC 38
    2007: LSU 38, Ohio State 24
    2008: Florida 24, Oklahoma 14 (Oklahomas average points in the previous 7 games was close to 70)
    2010: Auburn 22, Oregon 19

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=cubby;19736481]If that's your idea of a smothering, than you really have no idea what you're talking about - at all. It's cute that you're trying though but you're only embarrassing yourself the more you post. But keep at it, we all need the chuckles after this nightmare of a NC game.[COLOR="red"]

Didn't say it was a smothering I didn't even post the part about the smothering that was somebody else. I am sorry that your team gets beat by the SEC and you are crying about it oh well maybe your conference will get better and Oregon won't lose next year in the regular season but whatever. I feel bad that your team needs to wear 20 different uniforms to get people attention instead of winning NC games like Bama or LSU does. Anyways bask in the glory of another SEC BCS champion winner for the 7th straight year and I'll sit here and feed on your tears till next year when the SEC wins again.
    Last edited by Skarsguard; 2013-01-08 at 04:54 AM.

is it bad that im happy an SEC team won?
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tylenol View Post
    One?

1998: Tennessee 23, Florida State 16
    2000: Oklahoma 13, Florida State 2 (technically a close game)
    2002: Ohio State 31, Miami 24
    2003: LSU 21, Oklahoma 14
    2005: Texas 41, USC 38
    2007: LSU 38, Ohio State 24
    2008: Florida 24, Oklahoma 14 (Oklahomas average points in the previous 7 games was close to 70)
    2010: Auburn 22, Oregon 19
    The best thing about that list? It skips 2009, 2011, and 2012. Go figure

I've never understood conference loyalty.

If that's your idea of a smothering, than you really have no idea what you're talking about - at all. It's cute that you're trying though but you're only embarrassing yourself the more you post. But keep at it, we all need the chuckles after this nightmare of a NC game.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 04:23 AM ----------

when a team rams their dick down your throat and holds you to 1/3 of your average PPG, you got smothered, raped, whatever you wanna call it

they got their asses kicked. their offense has been a let down in big games
    their defense has played decent in those big games

but overall they've never been more than a 3-5 team in reality

I can see how a few bad calls can really affect a close game, entirely change the outcome in fact. And there is something to be said for a teams confidence. But there is only one reason a team is down 35-0 in the national title game, and that's because they were highly overrated - something I've been saying for the entire season.

There is no doubt that Bama is an excellent football team, and against a grind-it-out offense like ND, they are going to crush them. The beauty of an Oregon match-up would be that Bama would be facing an offense they are not conditioned to defend as readily - see the Tex-Tech game for a perfect example. Oregon runs a better style offense that Tech does, and Tech beat Bama soundly.

I am not saying that Oregon would have won, I'm not that blindly loyal, but it would have been a hell of a lot better game that the embarrassment that is going on now.

Edit: and yeah, just saw the replays on that punt - whoops on the refs part.
    This shit here man.... I would have loved to see oregan vs bama. I (biasly) think that bama would have won but a better game than ND put up for sure.

[QUOTE=tylenol;19736664]One?

1998: Tennessee 23, Florida State 16*********

********denotes the first time a game had 3 roughing the kicker calls. also denotes 2/3 FG and how those 6 points became 10
    that game was a joke. UT got every call in the world and those 3 roughing the kicker calls that gave them the ball inside the 10 3 times was pathetic.