Thread: NCAA football

10+ Year Old Account
    In other NCAAF news, San Diego State has decided to remain in the MWC. /surprise /shock

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ehhh man sports talk radio today was terrible I can't bare another day at work with mindless talk about an imaginary GF.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Finangus View Post
    In other NCAAF news, San Diego State has decided to remain in the MWC. /surprise /shock
    Did you forget /sarcasm? I hope you did. Watching the Big East crumble rules. That conference was beyond retarded for even considering adding SDSU in the first place. Glad they and Boise are staying home.

---------- Post added 2013-01-17 at 07:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Ehhh man sports talk radio today was terrible I can't bare another day at work with mindless talk about an imaginary GF.
    Ya there is only like four ways this story can go so listening to them rehash the same ways for hours is awful. I'm greatly enjoying just kicking back, eating popcorn, and waiting for the next twist in the story. The four ways btw:
    1) Te'o was completely complicit and did this for publicity
    2) Te'o did this for the most elaborate gay cover ever (secretly rooting for this although this would forever tarnish the first big name athlete coming out)
    3) Te'o knew early on he had been duped but kept it up because he didn't want to admit it
    4) Te'o simply embellished on the story but was unaware she was fake

Who doesn't go see their girlfriend after a car wreck? Who doesn't go see their girlfriend when she is diagnosed with cancer? Who doesn't go see their girlfriend when she is DYING OF FUCKING CANCER? Who doesn't go to their girlfriends funeral because it conflicts with an early season game before ND knew it had a chance to play in the championship? Who creates fake tales about the first time he saw her after a football game, or when she came down to visit him and his family in Hawaii, or how he knew her family, and all the other nonsense? There is absolutely no way in hell I'd believe #4. #3 I can buy slightly more and he just got caught up in his own web. #1 is absolutely the option I believe.
    Last edited by conscript; 2013-01-18 at 12:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    #1 is absolutely the option I believe.
    Sure looks like it. Today, on As the Dome Turns:

Te'o discussed girlfriend after knowing it was hoax

Not once but twice after he supposedly discovered his online girlfriend of three years never even existed, Notre Dame All-American linebacker Manti Te'o perpetuated the heartbreaking story about her death.

An Associated Press review of news coverage found that the Heisman Trophy runner-up talked about his doomed love in a Web interview on Dec. 8 and again in a newspaper interview published Dec. 11. He and the university said Wednesday that he learned on Dec. 6 that it was all a hoax, that not only wasn't she dead, she wasn't real.

Notre Dame said Te'o found out that Kekua was not a real person through a phone call he received at an awards ceremony in Orlando, Fla., on Dec. 6. He told Notre Dame coaches about the situation on Dec. 26.

The AP's media review turned up two instances during that gap when the football star mentioned Kekua in public.

Te'o was in New York for the Heisman presentation on Dec. 8 and, during an interview before the ceremony that ran on the WSBT.com, the website for a South Bend TV station, Te'o said: "I mean, I don't like cancer at all. I lost both my grandparents and my girlfriend to cancer. So I've really tried to go to children's hospitals and see, you know, children."

In a column that first ran in The Los Angeles Times, on Dec. 10, Te'o recounted why he played a few days after he found out Kekua died in September, and the day she was supposedly buried.

"She made me promise, when it happened, that I would stay and play," he said on Dec. 9 while attending a ceremony in Newport Beach, Calif., for the Lott Impact Awards.
    Oops!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post

Oops!
    Sounds more like number 3 on Conscript's list. Except it wasn't "early on".

10+ Year Old Account

Oops!
    So have people made the idiotic comparisons to this situation with the Armstrong and Paterno/Sandusky debacles yet?

The obligatory meme makes its debut.
    I guess it kinda did.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Sounds more like number 3 on Conscript's list. Except it wasn't "early on".
    Perhaps, but I'm still leaning toward #1 based on available info.

---------- Post added 2013-01-17 at 08:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    So have people made the idiotic comparisons to this situation with the Armstrong and Paterno/Sandusky debacles yet?
    To Armstrong, yes. I don't think anyone in the press would try the other at this point. Although at present speed, that might change.

Dan Patrick had my favorite quote of the day though. In response to the insane amount of attention the story has drawn, he said on this morning's show: "Well, if you want to get away with anything, today's the day to do it."

10+ Year Old Account
    1) Te'o was completely complicit and did this for publicity
    Going with this.

I'm just still surprised. Was really gunning for him to get the heisman.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Going with this.

I'm just still surprised. Was really gunning for him to get the heisman.
    Same here.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Update: http://espn.go.com/college-football/...irlfriend-hoax

Tuiasosopo (the man behind the hoax) called a church friend in December to confess that he had duped Te'o. This friend refuses to be identified but participated in an anonymous interview where she claims that Tuiasosopo specifically mentioned that Te'o was absoulutey not in on it, and was just getting led on.

What most probably happend is Te'o found out on Dec 6th, was embarrassed/confused/depressed so much that he just didn't know what to do and just kinda let it go on hoping people would forget about her. What's odd though, is at the Heisman ceremony on Dec 8th, Chris Fowler specifically asked him what is the one thing he will remember from the tragedy he experienced this season. You would think here he would only talk about his grandmother (who actually died), but instead he went into some long winded story about how he found out his gf had died and Kelly and his entire team were so supportive. I would think after finding out it was all hoax and he had been duped that he would just try to steer clear of any answer involving her.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Criminy, I know it's a hot topic but the press citing anonymous sources certainly doesn't help the situation.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well her voice was recorded at least during the interview, and you can understand why she wouldn't want her name thrown into this mess publicly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Well her voice was recorded at least during the interview, and you can understand why she wouldn't want her name thrown into this mess publicly.
    Of course. But the initial absence of fact-checking shouldn't be followed by an absence of transparency, especially when conflicting stories abound. It would be best to wait it out and publish definitive, well-substantiated answers rather than continually fueling existing speculation. Needless to say that won't happen.

Who doesn't go see their girlfriend after a car wreck? Who doesn't go see their girlfriend when she is diagnosed with cancer? Who doesn't go see their girlfriend when she is DYING OF FUCKING CANCER? Who doesn't go to their girlfriends funeral because it conflicts with an early season game before ND knew it had a chance to play in the championship? Who creates fake tales about the first time he saw her after a football game, or when she came down to visit him and his family in Hawaii, or how he knew her family, and all the other nonsense? There is absolutely no way in hell I'd believe #4. #3 I can buy slightly more and he just got caught up in his own web. #1 is absolutely the option I believe.
    To play Devil's Advocate, if it was a hoax, the hoaxer would go to some pains to keep him from flying down. Also, I could see him making up stories about meeting her in person. Who would admit that they are in an online-only relationship?

Hahaha reading that was hilarious. Now I'm waiting for the fake dead girlfriend who faked her death to drug dealers actually be fake, because the fake drug dealers faked their deaths to avoid confrontation from Mant Te'o because they were all banging his girlfriend.

15+ Year Old Account
    The gift that keeps on giving.

There's no way he wasn't in on it. Just watched Sportscenter where they played excerpts from his most recent interview (which had a lawyer present and no cameras at Te'o's request) and the stuff he's saying is still inconsistent with what actually happened. It's probably gonna take a while for people to gather evidence and actually be able to confront him about this.

He has to be gay and covering it up. No other reason makes sense. The motivation/attention angles might fly... except his grandmother died mid-season so he didn't really need to make up another death just for the hell of it. Hopefully he comes out sooner rather than later before this shit destroys his career.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neazy View Post
    There's no way he wasn't in on it. Just watched Sportscenter where they played excerpts from his most recent interview (which had a lawyer present and no cameras at Te'o's request) and the stuff he's saying is still inconsistent with what actually happened. It's probably gonna take a while for people to gather evidence and actually be able to confront him about this.

He has to be gay and covering it up. No other reason makes sense. The motivation/attention angles might fly... except his grandmother died mid-season so he didn't really need to make up another death just for the hell of it. Hopefully he comes out sooner rather than later before this shit destroys his career.
    I really, really hope it is a gay thing and he did all this because of the pressure from his religion and how they treat gays in the Mormon church. I really think that is the best outcome here for him. No one gives a shit about being gay anymore, at least mainstream people don't. Hell he could serve as the most ridiculously perfect example of what not to do if you are secretly gay. He could be the reason that tons of other athletes and young people come out.

Everyone has lied or embellished relationships to their friends. It takes a special kind of insanity to do it on a national stage to the media though. I hope it was insanity caused by fear of admitting he was gay and not the love of the spotlight. I don't think I could ever hold a shred of respect for the guy again if it wasn't.

This from the interview is just the stupidest fucking thing I have ever read.
    Te'o said it never occurred to him to go to the hospital or to Kekua's funeral when she died.

"It never really crossed my mind. I don't know. I was in school," Te'o said.
    It never crossed your mind to go see your dying girlfriend? Really? At least fucking Skype with her.
    Last edited by conscript; 2013-01-19 at 09:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow. Just... wow.

Stew Mandel has a new article up.

Quote Originally Posted by SI
    Those made-up details he told Sports Illustrated and other media of having met the fictitious Lennay Kekua? "I even knew that it was crazy that I was with somebody that I didn't meet," he said, so he "tailored" his stories accordingly. So did Teo's father, because his son had lied to him, too.
    If Te'o truly wants to clear the air, he needs to sit down in front of a camera. He needs to show emotion, and he needs to show remorse. Te'o may consider himself the wronged party, but many of his fans and followers still feel betrayed. He needs to apologize for his part in embellishing and perpetuating the myth of Lennay. That will require swapping the word "tailor" with "lie," which is what he did.
    That's about it, really. In terms of culpability, I don't think most people will make much of a distinction between perpetrating the hoax and lying about the hoax.