Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question about armor.

This is something I hadn't thought about until now, but does armor have durability in this game? Will it wear down over time so that you have to go repair it at a blacksmith or something? I haven't really seen anything like that so far, but it could just be that I haven't been paying attention to it. I really don't like that aspect of games. It doesn't really serve a purpose, and it's quite annoying. Here's hoping for no durability!

Pretty sure no, the only penalty for death is the fee to port to a waypoint and the time lost in running back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

That's good to hear. I was under that impression but I wasn't completely positive.

Anet had a different answer for gold sinks at one point: energy potions, when it was still used for all skills. They haven't said much else regarding durability-like gold sinks yet since they were removed.

the way they talked about not giving players another penalty for death other than the teleport fee, i'd say it's highly unlikely they'll implement some sort of item durability score.

as for the potential money sinks, i'd guess a lot will be spent on materials needed for crafting, be it via the AH or with NPC merchants. have no doubts there'll be some badass looking crafted armors requiring rare materials (which if the skin is badass enough will naturaly raise the said materials value).

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is no armor durability in the game. I like this rather than having the way WoW has armor durability, but I would prefer a system where your armor breaks and you can actually see it like Vindictus.

There was I believe but they felt it was just tedious and removed it so no there will not be durability in GW2.

It really makes me worry about the gold sinking. I know in wow I could spend 1-2k just on repairs on a given raiding night, 2k wasn't a lot, considering most people I was playing with including myself had 60k+ and could easily make that 2k back. However it would keep our economy stagnant or would lose gold if we only came on to raid.

I'm unsure on the reliability and cost of the energy potions, but I would assume there would need to be more smaller sinks, or just another major one that the economy is based around. A thought I have on a whim is having professions on the later stages have to go out and buy materials from specific towns. This would promote questing once you're capped while having to spend your gold to make more gold/make armor/weapons.
    If curiosity killed the cat, why can't speculation kill you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure energy potions are nonexistent gold sinks are mostly gonna be on mats armor or runes plus fast travel.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

Quote Originally Posted by IplayHorde View Post
    It really makes me worry about the gold sinking.
    if you get more gold than needed to buy whatever you wanted, just how can that be something to "worry" about? geez...
    eventually you'll find something you may want to buy/craft and will happen to have that spare money to spend, problem solved. well, if there even was a problem to begin with, that is...
    Last edited by sacrypheyes; 2011-11-19 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    if you get more gold than needed to buy whatever you wanted, just how can that be something to "worry" about? geez...
    eventually you'll find something you may want to buy/craft and will happen to have that spare money to spend, problem solved. well, if there even was a problem to begin with, that is...
    If there were nothing more to spend gold on the not only the server economy but the game economy would come out of control. Things like paying durability based on the item level do work to an extent to keep you spending gold, but if you don't have any gold to spend then there is something to worry about. You'll see a higher rate of account theft since black hats will take your mountain of gold, and it sets a standard for gold selling with the high inflation.

To say I have so much gold that I could buy anything and not worry about it really takes the fun out of even having gold in the first place. As I stated I typically had 60k+. I had 150k at a time because making gold was fun. I knew several people who reached the gold cap in WoW. Once you reached that cap, what are you going to do with it all? I could buy anything and did. I bought all the new BoE gear and mats with extra. With little gold sinks then the game of getting gold doesn't exist, which you may not feel is fun, but it exists in a lot of us.
    If curiosity killed the cat, why can't speculation kill you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IplayHorde View Post
    If there were nothing more to spend gold on the not only the server economy but the game economy would come out of control. Things like paying durability based on the item level do work to an extent to keep you spending gold, but if you don't have any gold to spend then there is something to worry about. You'll see a higher rate of account theft since black hats will take your mountain of gold, and it sets a standard for gold selling with the high inflation.

To say I have so much gold that I could buy anything and not worry about it really takes the fun out of even having gold in the first place. As I stated I typically had 60k+. I had 150k at a time because making gold was fun. I knew several people who reached the gold cap in WoW. Once you reached that cap, what are you going to do with it all? I could buy anything and did. I bought all the new BoE gear and mats with extra. With little gold sinks then the game of getting gold doesn't exist, which you may not feel is fun, but it exists in a lot of us.
    If making armor/weapons was anything like in GW1 then you won't need to worry about having to much money lol
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    A very simple and quite good currency sink would be to just put the fast travel into a standard %. Say, 1-2% of your wealth (or less/more/what ever) for every travel.
    Then it costs "the same" for everyone and it drains out currency from those with most. It also won't hinder people with less since 1 if you have 100 isn't really big a deal, while 100 if you've got 10'000 isn't that big a deal either.
    But in the for the one with 10'000 to give up 1 would be very silly for inflation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    A very simple and quite good currency sink would be to just put the fast travel into a standard %. Say, 1-2% of your wealth (or less/more/what ever) for every travel.
    Then it costs "the same" for everyone and it drains out currency from those with most. It also won't hinder people with less since 1 if you have 100 isn't really big a deal, while 100 if you've got 10'000 isn't that big a deal either.
    But in the for the one with 10'000 to give up 1 would be very silly for inflation.
    That is ridiculous.. Would you think its fair if a taxi driver would charge you $100 for a ride while he charges another man only $10 for the exact same ride?

Also, how would that work in-game with storages etc? Then people will just invent the Glob of Ectoplasm 2.0 so it doesnt really solve anything at all either.

For those of you that never played GW1 and are worried about gold sink: Mats are going to cost a shit load for the epic hard to get armors and that will generally be the only gold sink we need. That's how it was in GW1 and it worked fine. You would spend a shit ton for a full armor set. And some weapons... would sell for ridiculous amounts.

I do believe ANet may add another gold sink to the game although it's still in the think tank process I imagine, but it won't be as dramatic as armor/weapon mats.

Ahh...globs of ectoplasm. Reminds me of SoJ's or HR's in D2.

while i don't remember the exact prices, usual price ranges were :
    -"standard" armor : 5k
    -elite (upgraded standard) armor : 50k
    -out of those elite armors, some required more expensive mats, thus end up requiring more than 80-100k to craft them
    -common pets : 800g - 1k5
    -rare pets : 10k up to 60-80k+ i believe for some very rare pets (shiro & rurik in mind)

unless you were lucky and get some very valuable rare drop to sell (weapons, runes, inks etc), you better had to farm to have enough gold to buy anything. and the few people i knew who had more than 100k at any time were either good ig traders or just people who stopped buying anything and just started stacking ectos to bypass their vault gold limit.

my point : imo, money sinks definitely won't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartuc the Bloody View Post
    For those of you that never played GW1 and are worried about gold sink: Mats are going to cost a shit load for the epic hard to get armors and that will generally be the only gold sink we need.
    While i agree with you in part, i think you are forgetting that gw2 will infact feature gathering nodes.
    in gw1 mats were either a medium-to-rare drop from a mob, sold by vendor or salvaged from usable weapons and armor or the special mob-gear(i really don't kniw how else to call it). Yes, ofcourse, some materials will be harder to aquire, therefore they will cost consideraly more, but as i see it, we wont have to save from our lunchmoney for a month in order to get the 50 wood planks needed for that new bow we wanted.

not every bow or armor set will require mere wood planks to be crafted imo.

gathering nodes or not, mats will, without much doubt, be one of the main money sinks of GW2.

As people have already stated, there will most likely (99.99999% chance) not be durability on weapons and armor.

---------- Post added 2011-11-22 at 02:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    while i don't remember the exact prices, usual price ranges were :
    -"standard" armor : 5k
    -elite (upgraded standard) armor : 50k
    -out of those elite armors, some required more expensive mats, thus end up requiring more than 80-100k to craft them
    -common pets : 800g - 1k5
    -rare pets : 10k up to 60-80k+ i believe for some very rare pets (shiro & rurik in mind)

unless you were lucky and get some very valuable rare drop to sell (weapons, runes, inks etc), you better had to farm to have enough gold to buy anything. and the few people i knew who had more than 100k at any time were either good ig traders or just people who stopped buying anything and just started stacking ectos to bypass their vault gold limit.

my point : imo, money sinks definitely won't be an issue.
    Agreed, there will be plenty of ways to spend your money in GW2. 5k armor, 50k armor and 75k+ armors come to mind right away, but if GW2 follows the weapon skin trend of GW1, we will see some very expensive, rare weapons as well.

Gold Sinks = Morph Stones. These are going to be expensive