Poll: Do you want a cross-server LFD tool in GW2?

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Well Ok, I can see that but I don't see any kind of public group thing happening like they have in Rift or Warhammer.
    There is no need to keep thinking similar features have to work with the same interface as in other games. We could very well have a feature that let's players see where the action is and join in where people are gathered (seems the point of DEs to me) or a dungeon group system that doesn't follow WoW's model rigidly or have it's limitations.

I haven't seen much of the chat interface, but seems it would be too chaotic to communicate with (just making this scenario up) a group you want to help defending some towers in /z while others are running all around toward other objectives.

That was the worst thing about Warhammer, you'd try to coordinate and people would just run all over the damn place like idiots.

In Rift the world map can show you where DEs are going on, but two problems with this: 1. you don't know if there are people doing the DE, 2. you can't see where they are on the map when you do get there.

I can see GW2 having a feature where we can see where exactly DEs are happening, travel to the area and quickly see where players are grouped up. Even having the option to join pocket groups defending/assaulting different areas of the map specifically.

Instead of just wondering "where is everyone at?" like in Rift or the utter unorganized derp chaos of Warhammer.

---------- Post added 2011-11-23 at 06:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arkkitehti View Post
    I don't wanna sounds like a douche, but since forming a group would serve mostly a social purpose, then why not just form it yourself? You could say it's more work, but it's really not.

Ok, I guess the upside is that the people who'd be there would want to form a group. But it still wouldn't guarantee that the people would want to do the same thing as you. So you'd still need to ask them and they might say that they want to do something different. Which would be the same as without the list.

Not much harm, but not much gain either.
    I think you are conceptualizing this as something different than I am.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2011-11-24 at 01:20 AM.

I don't wanna sounds like a douche, but since forming a group would serve mostly a social purpose, then why not just form it yourself? You could say it's more work, but it's really not.

Ok, I guess the upside is that the people who'd be there would want to form a group. But it still wouldn't guarantee that the people would want to do the same thing as you. So you'd still need to ask them and they might say that they want to do something different. Which would be the same as without the list.

Not much harm, but not much gain either.
    grouping is more like something you do when the content difficulty is beyond what you can manage alone. (unless it's with friends)

guilds on the other hand are more likely to fill the "social" spot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    grouping is more like something you do when the content difficulty is beyond what you can manage alone. (unless it's with friends)

guilds on the other hand are more likely to fill the "social" spot.
    In GW2 you don't need to form a group in order to play together. The comparison I made was between playing with people without forming a group and playing with said people with a group formed. Of course I can't be certain yet, but from what I've understood, the major gain for forming the group would be improved chat options.

Also, Fencers, what did you mean then? I thought you meant something along the lines of a list of people who are looking for other people to play with. Earlier I made the assumption that said list would be limited on a zone-to-zone basis. I guess it would make more sense worldwide. But again, you probably meant something entirely different.

Also, Fencers, what did you mean then? I thought you meant something along the lines of a list of people who are looking for other people to play with. Earlier I made the assumption that said list would be limited on a zone-to-zone basis. I guess it would make more sense worldwide. But again, you probably meant something entirely different.
    Well, for DEs it would be as I outlined above. Being able to see where DEs are happening, how many are participating and where they are at in a given area.

I am envisioning the major DEs as huge area wide encompassing events. Based on some of the videos which showed groups of players defending a laser, others collecting items, fighting mobs head-on, etc all over the zone/battlefield. Using that as my thought point here.

Not so much waiting in a queue or scrolling a list. But a means of accessing/getting to an area of battle you want to participate in and being able to communicate/coordinate with those in that immediate area discretely. Somewhat how multiple warbands can be in the same event lake in Warhammer each working toward sub-goals in a larger battle.

Not sure how/what comms tools we will have in game for DEs but since they are inherently open to anyone- I imagine there would need to be basic tools of grouping & communicating on a micro level and more broad tools on a macro one.

To a degree you can kinda do this in Rift on that macro level, but it's sorta clumsy. While indeed worldwide in that game and not an actual listing, it does have a few problems; there is no way of judging if anyone is there, what stage of OH CRAP a DE has progressed to or where anyone is at once you get there.

Less "make a group & we do stuff" and more of a "where's the action? take me to it" type of thing. Which I can definitely see as a powerful tool for grouping in a game like GW2.

Merely speculation on possible scenarios until the game is ready. Of course.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2011-11-24 at 03:16 AM.

Deleted
    Hmm, that would be a nice thing indeed, could save a lot of trouble of checking around for the major fights. Although it could be done in more... immersive way. Say a guy going around major cities yelling when, say a dragon encounter is about to start/going on. This wouldn't do anything for the smaller DE's, but I'd imagine the biggest groups of people would mostly gather at the big, epic DE's anyway. And then you could simply take a waypoint near the fight and join in.

But I guess some option to show ongoing fights on your map would be nice as well. Because who would want to sit in a city all day to hear about the encounters.

As for communication, I do hope they will put in something to encourage and simplify communication in those spontaneous groups that form. I really do hope that the more higher level DE's will require at least basic communication, cooperation and coordination, and not just be something like, if everyone can stay alive and do x dps, the event will be won. From what I've seen of the mechanics, they do seem to require some amount of those things, but it's really impossible to tell yet.

Hmm, that would be a nice thing indeed, could save a lot of trouble of checking around for the major fights. Although it could be done in more... immersive way. Say a guy going around major cities yelling when, say a dragon encounter is about to start/going on. This wouldn't do anything for the smaller DE's, but I'd imagine the biggest groups of people would mostly gather at the big, epic DE's anyway. And then you could simply take a waypoint near the fight and join in.

But I guess some option to show ongoing fights on your map would be nice as well. Because who would want to sit in a city all day to hear about the encounters.

As for communication, I do hope they will put in something to encourage and simplify communication in those spontaneous groups that form. I really do hope that the more higher level DE's will require at least basic communication, cooperation and coordination, and not just be something like, if everyone can stay alive and do x dps, the event will be won. From what I've seen of the mechanics, they do seem to require some amount of those things, but it's really impossible to tell yet.
    Yea, some interesting things they can do with group formation or facilitating group formation (prob. a better way of putting it) with a different set of development tools and principle design than we see in the 7yr old Warcraft.

Admittedly though, I'm not a big immersion or exploration type. A pull down map or something is more preferable to me personally than a NPC yelling in the streets. Esp. since I like to play my MMOs in window mode, alt-tabbing and chatting on skype/mumble and so on.

Not that I am opposed to having those immersion touches. But the option to quickly pull up a map or something would be nice alongside that for me.

Wonder if the mobile phone apps will be robust enough to let us see how DEs are progressing or ongoing. Rift is planning on such a feature soon, supposedly. But I recall the early GW2 info talked about more ways to keep up with the world than just the AH on your iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Need and want are different. I might want to join a small group of players out in the field.

Sure I can run about killing things or typing in /z (assuming), but I might want to hook up with the small party out by the tower or something.
    You make a fair point here. Would be fun to have a group wandering around, talking fun stuff etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Less "make a group & we do stuff" and more of a "where's the action? take me to it" type of thing. Which I can definitely see as a powerful tool for grouping in a game like GW2.
    If I remember correctly they have some NPCs you can ask about which DEs are currently taking place and where.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thebum06 View Post
    If I remember correctly they have some NPCs you can ask about which DEs are currently taking place and where.
    Scout

Last edited by Mif; 2011-11-24 at 04:16 PM.

I hope this "thing" or idea never sees the light of day, forming a group is easy and rewards so much more if you can have fun with people you know on your server.

The only way you can meet people in WoW is to advertise your epeen in hopes that someone will notice, and even at that they are only interested in raids and loot not you as a player. This fact just makes WoW feel like a soulless time-sink with no fun to be had with other players/potential friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    If SWTOR doesn't need one, which has a holy trinity i might add, GW2 sure as hell doesn't
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I.Do.Not.Want.LFD.In.GW2!

Unless it's server only...then I can live with it I guess.

---------- Post added 2011-11-29 at 12:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bodygrinder View Post
    I hope this "thing" or idea never sees the light of day, forming a group is easy and rewards so much more if you can have fun with people you know on your server.

The only way you can meet people in WoW is to advertise your epeen in hopes that someone will notice, and even at that they are only interested in raids and loot not you as a player. This fact just makes WoW feel like a soulless time-sink with no fun to be had with other players/potential friends.
    I agree with the first, but not the second. None of the great friends I have in WoW have I met through "e-peen" or any crap like that. WoW can be great fun unless you're determined NOT to have fun or meet friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    If SWTOR doesn't need one, which has a holy trinity i might add, GW2 sure as hell doesn't
    I didn't know TOR is without a LFD tool. Let's be real though, how long will it be until they put one in? It's bound to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I.Do.Not.Want.LFD.In.GW2!

Unless it's server only...then I can live with it I guess.
    You do know that this thread will stay alive as long as you guys feed Fencers, right? Even despite the blue lightsaber being longer than the red one, he/she is going to stick to her/his guns. I respect Fencer's opinion to some degree, but in other ways I see Fencers as an unrelenting attention seeker.

I agree though; server only is the only way to go. Even then, I don't think a LFD tool is going to make it in the game for obvious reasons.

I love the idea where you can queue in a list for people interested in a certain dungeon. You could pick people from there and chat with them before inviting them. It's also great to see their names! No xxXXShadowK1LL4XXXxxx in my group!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    I didn't know TOR is without a LFD tool. Let's be real though, how long will it be until they put one in? It's bound to happen.

You do know that this thread will stay alive as long as you guys feed Fencers, right? Even despite the blue lightsaber being longer than the red one, he/she is going to stick to her/his guns. I respect Fencer's opinion to some degree, but in other ways I see Fencers as an unrelenting attention seeker.

I agree though; server only is the only way to go. Even then, I don't think a LFD tool is going to make it in the game for obvious reasons.
    Idk i doubt there will be one, from what i played on the demo it only took like 5 min on the space station (all instances are accessed from there, also has trainers, vendors, pvp stuff, etc etc etc), it really doesn't -need- one
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

There would probably be a LFD tool for heroic areas in time. The nature of travel in TOR is quite different than in other games where the game world is continuous. TOR's zones/planets are more akin to Everquest than World of Warcraft.

No idea who Fencer is, nor do I care. It's a legit discussion and we can clearly see that a lot of avid fans do not want x-realm LFD or any LFD tool.

TOR's zones/planets are more akin to Everquest than World of Warcraft.
    I found it more like Aion myself. Maybe they open up as you level but I felt like I was playing in corridors.

Wait.. what the hell?

It's a discussion topic. Not a "change the other guy's mind" topic.

Not even my topic... and I am not even pro-LFG in GW2...

What the hell...

Wait.. what the hell?

It's a discussion topic. Not a "change the other guy's mind" topic.

Not even my topic... and I am not even pro-LFG in GW2...

What the hell...
    Oh, you're Fencers...no idea what that dude is getting at, I recognize your sig as a "none"-troll.