Poll: Do you want a cross-server LFD tool in GW2?

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    LFD would be unnecessary, so I doubt that ArenaNet will implement it. It shouldn't be hard to find people to group with since they're pushing the community aspect so hard. You have your guildies, and if you still can't get people from your guild to do a dungeon or two then it won't take you long to find somebody who will.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    I recognize the benefits of such a tool, but I sincerely hope Anet does not implement one. Ever. The convenience of pushing a button to find a group is outweighed by the harm it does to server community, WoW being a sad example of this.

I would rather deal with the small challenge of manually assembling a group (maybe with the aid of a tool like the old BC-era dungeon list) and enjoy actually making friends on my own server that I will play with again, as opposed to grouping with 4 strangers that I will never talk to or see again.

If Anet is reading this, please don't make Blizzard's mistake again.
    I don't think they read this forum.

However, yes, I fully agreed with you. I'd rather whisper people or whatever you do to talk to people to make groups then anything else. In the end there's one faction so to say so no need to say your faction is worse or something and there won't be tanks/healers, in the end that was the only reason why LFD was useful, since it got you a tank and a healer if you were dps and for tanks and healers, you weren't assaulted by 1000 whispers (oh, I can still remember one time I queued at rush hour as tank on my warrior and in the space of 3 minutes I recived 100 whispers from different people :S the horror!).

So yes, NO LFD IN GUILD WARS!

I've had as many good moments with LFD tool as bad ones, so I'm not opposed to it in principle. However I feel it was neccesary in WoW for three motives:

- There's a trinity and finding healres and tanks was difficult
    - Very few people in your server was in your level range when levelling, and waiting for the group to form and summon everyone was very inneficient compared to questing
    - More importantly, you needed to do your daily dungeon, and spamming or camping the general chat was horribly tedious.

Since you don't really need to grind dungeons (though you may want to do to get your unique set of gear) I don't feel the tool will be neccesary (specially if the sidekicking system works with dungeons too)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
    I've had as many good moments with LFD tool as bad ones, so I'm not opposed to it in principle. However I feel it was neccesary in WoW for three motives:

- There's a trinity and finding healres and tanks was difficult
    - Very few people in your server was in your level range when levelling, and waiting for the group to form and summon everyone was very inneficient compared to questing
    - More importantly, you needed to do your daily dungeon, and spamming or camping the general chat was horribly tedious.

Since you don't really need to grind dungeons (though you may want to do to get your unique set of gear) I don't feel the tool will be neccesary (specially if the sidekicking system works with dungeons too)
    Not to mention you will move down to the dungeons level, and the lack of trinity, it appears gw2 won't need it at all...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I doubt an LFD tool would be part of GW2. Simply because the game isn't designed with tiered gear progression in mind. So it's a rather foolish concern re: Guild Wars 2.

Moreover, LFG/LFD tools have been phenomenally successful and like addons, MMOs with dungeon circuits really would ever be made without them again. They are now as much an expectation as a chat box.

Deleted
    At some point WoW decided to take the "fast-food"/"instant gratification" approach when convenience became the overall design doctrine.

It ruined a lot of what made the game a great MMO and I can only hope GW2 won't follow down that path.

Quote Originally Posted by YouAreAllWrong View Post
    There is no Trinity in GW2, so there is no need to have automated LFD system like in WoW. A chat or a manual LFG interface is more than enough.
    Exactly this, why the hell would they implement a RDF system when you don't need a tank or heals to do anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    At some point WoW decided to take the "fast-food"/"instant gratification" approach when convenience became the overall design doctrine.

It ruined a lot of what made the game a great MMO and I can only hope GW2 won't follow down that path.
    What I truly love about ANet is they look at other MMO's (and their own) mistakes and improve on them, you can see a lot of improvements that to me were obviously inspired by WoW and what has become of it.

They are literally taking everything I hate about an MMO and either completely removing it or revamping it to where it's not an inconvenience. Considering community is their #1 priority I highly highly doubt in fact I guarantee ANet will never take the path Blizzard did.
    Last edited by Bartuc the Bloody; 2011-11-19 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post

It's subjective, to a degree.

Good design is seen generally as unobtrusive, streamlined and not too burdensome. Within and outside the industry.

10+ Year Old Account
    im bad at making friends in mmos to group with

you guys should just all add me to your lists and beg me to stabby stabby for you when the game comes out...
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Deleted
    I definitely don't wan't a WoW LFD style tool in the game but maybe a version where it just has a list of people looking for dungeons and then you can invite/talk to them your self.

Those systems historically don't work. It been said and proven that unless you allow players to "click a button" and get a group pre-configured they are unwilling to use those bulletin board systems.

"People enjoy grouping. But don't like forming groups themselves." -- Scott Hartsman

There has to be a sort of passive element to grouping systems. Or it's ignorable "LFM FOW!!!" chat box spam to most players.

Deleted
    ^ There is a certain amount of responsibility and expectations from you when you're the one forming the group. Like e.g. you're expected to know the dungeon and guide the group through. That is already a deterrent enough for people who very much dislike leading positions, but if you don't meet the expectations then you easily get abuse which is yet another deterrent. Atleast with an LFD system you're not the one forming the group and as such you're not expected to lead it, either, and that's what makes it so much easier for many people.

Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    I agree. I've never been good at making friends, not to mention that I don't even want to be "friends" with most *ssholes anyways, so I simply won't have a large friendlist from which to recruit people. As such I'm already at a great disadvantage in comparison to popular people, and I'd definitely like a tool that would atleast make it fast for me to find a group if I have to go with total strangers instead of having to go with strangers AND waste time yelling in trade chat.
    Rofl talking about taking your highschool problems into game, pleaseee....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose19 View Post
    Atleast I am contributing to the thread instead of just making ignorant posts with nothing to add. And what is your point anyways? That everyone is equally good at making friends and meeting new people? Well, everyone knows that isn't true, there are people who are notoriously bad at such and there are people who are exceedinly good at it, it's just the way some people are wired.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't worry about him. I'll be your in game friend gaygirlie.

What type of server were you planning on rolling on?

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Those systems historically don't work. It been said and proven that unless you allow players to "click a button" and get a group pre-configured they are unwilling to use those bulletin board systems.

"People enjoy grouping. But don't like forming groups themselves." -- Scott Hartsman

There has to be a sort of passive element to grouping systems. Or it's ignorable "LFM FOW!!!" chat box spam to most players.
    The 9 million people who used such a system in WoW for several years disagree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose19 View Post
    Well, if you look up thread on other MMO forums the perception of pressure and responsibility of leading or putting together a group is consistently cited by players.

Recently there was a 100+ page thread on another MMO forum asking why dungeon queues were so long. Though Guild Wars 2, bucks the trinity system, it was commonly cited in that thread by posters abuse for "not knowing the dungeon" or all the bosses pushed many away. Others commented they were reluctant to form a group unless it was with "people they knew".

Nobody likes to shout in world chat, "LF 1 more..." while they have 3 PUGs standing around. Oh one guy dropped? LF2M.

Clicking QUEUE via LFG/LFD interface and not be the person who has to actively seek others is a powerful psychological draw. MMOs are social games, but not all players will be socially..um, vigorous. Go-geters, etc.

As I said above, historically 'LF-group browsers' do not work without automation of some kind and developers confirm this time & again.

I had and still have absolutely no problem forming groups through a chat channel and doing so in GW2 will be about as easy as possible to do so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhiteWolf View Post
    Don't worry about him. I'll be your in game friend gaygirlie.

I'll join you too gaygirlie!! =D
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhiteWolf View Post
    I've always liked PvP servers before as they add some more unpredictability to questing; you never know when there's an enemy player with bad intentions around. Also, it's pretty rewarding to kill the guy who tried to gank you. And then kill him again twice or three times just to make a point. Alas, there is no such thing as PvP realm in GW2, so I'll just roll on a normal one. RP-realms, as interesting as they likely are, just take the RP a tad too seriously for my taste.