Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What do you eat during a family holiday dinner?

Thanksgiving is right around the corner for the US folks, so I have a question to pose for all of you around the world: What do you eat (or serve) at your family holiday dinner?

For my family, it's usually turkey (salmon during the spring, for holidays such as Easter), turkey stuffing, mashed potatoes, casseroles such as green bean, sweet potato, and pasta dishes, and of course freshly home baked muffins, breads, and pies.

This year I'll be baking chocolate zucchini bread for my family.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, yams and pumpkin pie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends what side of the family. My dads side of the family are from the country so usually home kill lamb and ham, home grown pumpkin/squash, baked vegies and nans super awesome fruit cake Usually go for a shoot as well, so maybe rabbit stew or wallaby.

Mums family are also from the country, but they are more civilised (nans an artist so...) Usually the same as above, but not home kill. Chocolate brownies and fruit cake are usually the main desserts

Aussie xmas and easter are pretty brutal

We cook up grandmom and eat her.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    No matter how much Skelington pleas for this to happen each year, the rest of his family frowns on cannibalism for some reason.

Instead we are stuck with turkey and other stuff, which, while not as great, it makes for some pretty tasty sandwiches for a week.

Deleted
    Im from the UK, ill be on my diet of fish and chips. YAY![

Deleted
    Only family dinner I have is at Christmas and to be honest its just a massive roast dinner (which I will be having tomorrow).

10+ Year Old Account
    Turkey, turkey stuffing, mashed potatoes, casseroles such as green bean, sweet potato, and pasta dishes, and of course freshly home baked muffins, breads, cranberry sauce, and pies.

Christmas Ham and pretty much the above.

Nut roast as the main dish, with potatoes and cooked vegetables (not pizza), vegetarian sausage, beetroot and my favorite, mashed rutabaga.

Can't wait

15+ Year Old Account
    Turkey for thanksgiving, some sort of beef for christmas, lamb for new year's. Accompanied by various usual things, plus the always-yummy Watergate Salad. Highly recommended to anyone who wants a very simple but very tasty (although probably not very good for you) side dish.

I don't eat with my family, I tend to spend those times alone eating what I normally eat.

I might drink more coke than usual though.

I don't celebrate Thanksgiving because of the Trial of Tears, it's more of an insult.

We have turkey in December and exchange gifts, but do not acknowledge it as a Christian Holiday.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)

Turkey and Ham
    Stuffing
    Sweet potatoes
    Biscuits
    Cranberry sauce
    Various fruit and vegetable salads

And pie for dessert, which is always the best part, along with the turkey sandwiches for weeks afterwards. A

there's usually a variety of mystery slops that coat the first half of the table (homemade!) and the second half is edible things they just went out and bought. Guess which side I grab food from

this is basically every family gathering where there's food, not just thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    I don't celebrate Thanksgiving because of the Trial of Tears, it's more of an insult.

We have turkey in December and exchange gifts, but do not acknowledge it as a Christian Holiday.
    fair enough. Just because you don't celebrate thanksgiving doesn't mean you can't still have a delicious day of turkey
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2011-11-20 at 03:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    As cruel as that is..somehow its funny.

http://bit.ly/12e7MsQ <--- My New Monk Main

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Turkey/Ham
    Mashed potatoes
    Green beans
    Stuffing
    Some sort of pie that I never eat (I don't like sweets)
    Lots and lots and lots of alcohol.

Deleted
    Swede here, and this is usually what we eat in our family.

Christmas:

First we start with a platter of pickled herring, smoked/cured salmon, and eggs with Caviar.
    Then we move on to the more hearty food.
    Christmas ham, and mustard
    Meatballs
    Sausages
    Roasted ribs
    Janssons frestelse (It's an oven made gratin with anchovies, onions and potatoes) My favourite on the table :P
    Brussel sprouts
    Red cabbage
    Potatoes
    Gravy

And for the desert we usually have some delicious rice pudding. And ofcourse there's lots of christmas-beer, glögg, snaps and julmust involved.

That's the only real traditional dinner we have. We don't celebrate thanksgiving here in Sweden
    Last edited by mmoc409bdafe4d; 2011-11-20 at 04:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Turkey for thanksgiving, some sort of beef for christmas, lamb for new year's. Accompanied by various usual things, plus the always-yummy Watergate Salad. Highly recommended to anyone who wants a very simple but very tasty (although probably not very good for you) side dish.
    Huh, so that's what it's called. My family used to make something incredibly similar that we just called the green stuff.

---------- Post added 2011-11-19 at 10:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    That's the only real traditional dinner we have. We don't celebrate thanksgiving here in Sweden
    Oh I know you don't :P This is for ALL holidays, whether it's specific to your country/religion/culture or not
    S (moderator)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakatashi View Post
    Everything.
    I like your answer.
    S (moderator)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)