Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Umchilli View Post
    I miss the thrill.
    I miss feeling like I achieved something after each lvl up.
    I miss mobs who can fight us back and show us our place.
    I miss grouping with other people to do difficult quests.
    I miss spamming 'LFD xxx' then after finding group going there with another player, summoning other, getting a third of exp bar for entire run, not receiving a single item and single feeling damn good about yourself.
    I miss ganking and being ganked.
    I miss looking at that one player who has really awsome gear and thinking of him as some kinda god.
    I miss being noob and helping other noobs in wow.
    I miss the community, they atleast had some sense of humour and something interesting to say even when flamming someone, these days /2 looks like /b/ on 4chan.
    I miss diversity.
    I miss things that you had to put really alot of time into that wouldn't quite pay out, but still would make the player special.
    I miss silly bugs that did some really funny things.

I miss the wow, not what's left of it today.
    I miss people like you, you put everything I wanted into words.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    -Nietzsche
    Vanilla WoW was a diamond in the rough. Burning Crusade cleared the rough away and polished that diamond up. During Lich King, that diamond cracked from being over polished and in Cataclysm that diamond was replaced with a cubic zirconia.

10+ Year Old Account
    There were a lot of things about the original that will never be able to be recreated, but it is because back then it was the original. It is hard to take epics away from people at the start of an expansion and then make them feel epic again at the end. Plus it is hard to make everything feel just as new with every expansion. Vanilla will never be topped, because while it may be inferior to Cata and not play nearly as well, it was all brand new and had never been done before. Nowadays, while it may be improved upon to a great extent, it still feels stale and very "been there done that". Sure, it is still a fun game to play, but it just isn't quite the game that we all started with. I miss the Global channel, I don't remember if it was a lfg or trade channel, I just remember talking with random people who were all over the game world, as everyone was exploring the game early on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    There's nothing for casuals to do, beyond pretend they are raiders in LFR.

Quote Originally Posted by Umchilli View Post
    I miss the thrill. - Plenty of new players start each day with that same thrill. That's just not something that's going to last.

I miss feeling like I achieved something after each lvl up. - Honestly, I've been playing the game for a while now, and leveling's always been pretty easy.

I miss mobs who can fight us back and show us our place. - Low level content is undertuned, yeah...

I miss grouping with other people to do difficult quests. - There are still a handful of quests that still require grouping for many classes/specs. Personally, I never found group quests fun.

I miss spamming 'LFD xxx' then after finding group going there with another player, summoning other, getting a third of exp bar for entire run, not receiving a single item and single feeling damn good about yourself. - Okay, so you're a masochist. Just kidding, but really, I can't see how anyone could have enjoyed that. But to each their own.

I miss ganking and being ganked. - Still happens.

I miss looking at that one player who has really awsome gear and thinking of him as some kinda god. - I thought this when I first started playing World of Warcraft. Then I realized how easy raiding actually was. At least it was for me as a Holy Priest. Despite being in a casual, friend guild for a little while at level cap, in the grand scheme of things, I essentially jumped straight into serious raiding. Though I did like constantly keeping my close, in-game friends updated each time my spellpower went up. =)

I miss being noob and helping other noobs in wow. - I still help other noobs in WoW. I try not to be an elitist jackass. It's still pretty gratifying when I honestly help a true, new player. At least it is for me.

I miss the community, they atleast had some sense of humour and something interesting to say even when flamming someone, these days /2 looks like /b/ on 4chan. - I've been crusading against the World of Warcraft community for years. It's really something that's been this way for a very long time. It's been like this sense vanilla.

I miss diversity. - Not sure how World of Warcraf has any less diversity today than it did back in the day. Maybe class-race combos?

I miss things that you had to put really alot of time into that wouldn't quite pay out, but still would make the player special. - Just curious, how does something make one feel special after they spent a lot of time towards it and they didn't get what they wanted out of it? Sense the start of my days, I can't think of anything like this. This like this have always frustrated me.

I miss silly bugs that did some really funny things. - Sometimes bugs can do amusing things, but they're never a good sign. Ever.

I miss the wow, not what's left of it today.
    I don't play a lot anymore. In fact, sometimes I wonder why I am even still subbed. But I have played a very long time. And in my honest, objective opinion as a casual player who used to be a hardcore raider back in the day, I really don't feel that today's World of Warcraft is much different than the World of Warcraft of the past. I honestly feel like you've simple seen it all and now you're bored. You can't ever get that fresh feeling again. It's not something that can be blamed on the game or the developer. The only way to really get truly old school players to be as excited for the game again as they were when it was still fairly new would be to completely redo it from the ground up. Newly redesigned zones, new graphics, newly redesigned classes, newly redesigned gameplay mechanics, newly written story, new characters, new lore. Basically, come up with something completely new.

This has simply been my honest opinion on the matter.

---------- Post added 2011-11-21 at 06:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by peachtree View Post
    Spoken like a true casual.

Maybe you should of been hardcore enough to roll with my gang, but you probably couldn't get past level 10 because the dunes were too hard. That is, until SE gave into casual demands and decided to gimp leveling to make it so a blind man with Parkinsons could get to cap in a short amount of time.

God, I miss things how they were back in the day, before WoW ruined everything with 'quest logs' and 'dungeon finders' and 'questing to level cap'.
    These types of people are the reason why so many MMO's have such garbage communities. I hate people who have a stick up their ass because they think they're better than someone simply because they had gratuitous amounts of time to devote to accomplishing a goal that doesn't have a single ounce of significance. Not one shred of worth. And the worth of your achievements are reflected in the worth of your sorry excuse for character. No one likes people like you. So shut up or speak with at least some intelligence and basic human respect instead of being a condescending jackass with a false sense of entitlement.

---------- Post added 2011-11-21 at 06:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    I assume this is in jest, because the alternative is scary.
    Until proven otherwise, I will assume he speaks his opinion. It's depressing, but there really are people like this out there. A lot of them.
    Last edited by Veyne; 2011-11-21 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Yes, it's quite rare to see the term "dead" used to describe a feature that one hardly ever sees anymore, oh wait... no it isn't.
    If something is dead it cannot exist anymore. But if it still happens it is alive. That is basic logic. Which is it?

They didn't introduce it solely for the purpose to promote world PvP, if you think that well, just lol at you.... They thought it would fit well in the zone for AQ, and it did, promoting world PvP was an added bonus.
    Are you ignorant? The objectives were introduced in patch 1.12, well after the release of AQ and not too long after Naxx. They chose those two zones because they held the best chance of getting players to participate in the PvP events, given there would be a large number of players in that zone for raids. Hence the rewards.

Those zones were the first attempt at objective based world PvP. Something that we saw more of in TBC.

And again you failed to see my point, and failed to read my post, as you just wrongly accused me of doing. My comment regarding "I'm talking about small engagements out in the world - it doesn't happen anymore..." was directed in clearing up the fact that you seemed to think that was me stating my opinion as fact, which it wasn't - my comment about stormwind had nothing to do with ANYTHING you posted, it was about the post that I responded to with the quote in question where I voiced my concerns about world PvP, and some person(Arnoww) said shit about stockades. You would have seen all this had you been paying attention and not just grabbing quotes out of context.

And yes, Uldum, that post, I already said world pvp happens, just not enough (in my opinion). What part of that don't you get? Here I am, saying I feel world PvP doesn't happen enough (my opinion), you come in with a post against me pretty much saying "this guy sees world pvp, stop QQing" therefore attempting to tell me my opinion is invalid.
    It's quite obvious that you've missed the point entirely.

You cannot proclaim as fact that World PvP is dead and that small scale engagements don't occur any more only to then back track and admit that what you're saying is false.

I already told you I will defend my opinion against people like you, and then you persist in attempting to tell me my opinion is wrong and are in turn surprised when I insult you?(which you are doing to me by telling me my opinion is wrong). You've got some nerve... Learn to respect other people's opinions.
    So what you're saying is that you've no idea what you're talking about and you're happy to contradict yourself?
    You've stated as a fact that World PvP is dead. But then you go on to admit that it does happen. Which is it?

Players have been posting in this thread and many alike, how World PvP still exists. I've spent more hours during Cataclysm involved in spontaneous World PvP than any other expansion pack.

And it's not like you bothered to read my link either.
    "The old days of world pvp will never fully return but this is a good substitute." From 14th July 2006.
    Quite clearly World PvP was perceived to be dead long before flying mounts and the LFD tool.

Ultimately it boils down to this:
    I hate LFD and I hate flying mounts, they both killed world PvP
    And
    I already said world pvp happens
    Last edited by Aktavite; 2011-11-21 at 06:36 AM.

Deleted
    /cast Misdirect
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...3#post14294533
    Nostalgia! ;D
    I believe I enjoyed running all over the place and taking ages to do so just to get my dailies done and attempt dungeons and raids. HOWEVER in actual fact I remember not liking it at all and wishing there was an easier way. Nostalgia makes us believe but we will not remember the facts correctly. Enjoy the game for what it is (its a whole damn lot better than a lot of games even these days) and look to the future rather than the past for hope!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverwish View Post
    after each level up you usually get a new ability or a talent point, it just doesnt take as long as it used to.
    some mobs can still kill you
    you can still group up with people if you want
    you can still spam "LFD XXX" and run all the way to the summoning stone if you want
    you can still gank people if you want
    you can still look at a nerd and think hes god if you want :S
    you can still help noobs out if you want...
    i miss the bugs that gave this game character too...
    so your point is, i think : now im not forced to do shitty stuff anymore this game isnt the same and i dont like it? or something...
    -Try getting a group on a server in trade/lfg let alone one that would want to run to a dungeon (especially if you aren't a tank).
    -Ganking has become nearly impossible outside of TB and even tb it's not that fun when they just hide inside there bases trying to leash you to the guards who 1shot.
    -Someone having BiS gear in vanilla is nothing compared to someone having BiS gear with current content and calling them nerds doesn't make your point any more valid
    -Helping new players out is the only thing you still can do, but with the current game right now no one new bothers asking for help since i'm sure they were probably trolled endless the first time.

Have to agree with the OP though i really miss the sense of community... Also all the people who are "tired" of these threads you can see the title and no one is forcing you to post here last i checked.
    Last edited by Treeskee; 2011-11-21 at 06:49 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aktavite View Post
    If something is dead it cannot exist anymore. But if it still happens it is alive. That is basic logic. Which is it?

Are you ignorant? The objectives were introduced in patch 1.12, well after the release of AQ and not too long after Naxx. They chose those two zones because they held the best chance of getting players to participate in the PvP events, given there would be a large number of players in that zone for raids. Hence the rewards.

Those zones were the first attempt at objective based world PvP. Something that we saw more of in TBC.

It's quite obvious that you've missed the point entirely.

You cannot proclaim as fact that World PvP is dead and that small scale engagements don't occur any more only to then back track and admit that what you're saying is false.

So what you're saying is that you've no idea what you're talking about and you're happy to contradict yourself?
    You've stated as a fact that World PvP is dead. But then you go on to admit that it does happen. Which is it?

Players have been posting in this thread and many alike, how World PvP still exists. I've spent more hours during Cataclysm involved in spontaneous World PvP than any other expansion pack.

And it's not like you bothered to read my link either.
    "The old days of world pvp will never fully return but this is a good substitute." From 14th July 2006.
    Quite clearly World PvP was perceived to be dead long before flying mounts and the LFD tool.

Ultimately it boils down to this:

And
    You are so daft it is honestly starting to brink on the edge of hilarity. Figures of speech such as proclaiming something is dead when it's hardly ever seen anymore are not meant to be taken literally. I'm sorry for assuming you would recognize a figure of speech, obviously I overestimated your intelligence. I'm not contradicting myself, as I just explained - figure of speech.

Small scale engagements don't happen enough for me to consider them part of the game right now (opinion, just in case you were thinking of somehow turning that one around on me), I see one maybe twice a month, if that.

Come back when your capability to process logic and common figures of speech in the English language isn't skewed. I'm done talking to you.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2011-11-21 at 08:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I miss the first time this thread was made.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Senbo View Post
    and because of these changes look at all the cod kids who came to play who think they can do what they want without consequence all because they group with people from different servers. honestly if you cant even see how the community has changed through out the life of this game its impossible to try and explain it.
    Totally agree. The WoW community has been going down hill for years. Imo WoW, more importantly WoW:TBC was a victum of it's own success. It was so popular that we had so many people who were the total opposite of the normal wow community start playing the game and the player base now is horrible. Not skill wise( because the content has been dumbed down) but the general attitude of the "new" player base. Everyone is an asshole. It's like Css and CoD got together and had a kid, but Css and CoD were actually brother and sister and the kid was a little bit slow and that kid cloned itself and all bough WOTLK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Play on a lvl 60 private server, you won't last long

Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    So you liked to fly to cross roads and go on foot, or by slow mount to razorfen kraul, to sit there waiting on someone else, to summon 3 other people? Really? You have an unique sense of fun.

Edit: I'm not talking community, I am talking about taking trips to hang out at stones, easily one of the most tedious things ever.
    Yes, better than having to do dungeons with 4 retards from some other realm.

"But you can just make a group from people of your realm". Maybe if not everyone was using LFD.

Games are becoming more popular and accessible. That means more casual players and I am sorry to say it but more casual players means more bad and annoying players. I've been playing BF3 a lot since release and 95% of the random players I meet in quick matches are idiots. It's just the truth. Same happens in every game.

Deleted
    if you truely miss the old wow then you would have played before summoning stones which came out in TBC. Therefore you are not a vanilla WoW player, you are a TBC baby.

I miss old wow too, threads like this did not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Lack of meaning when you gain a level is a valid complaint, but simply adding an extra point to a talent which would take upto 5 points was a poor system also.
    Actually that's the big problem. It didn't lost the meaning. It lost the meaning TO YOU. Of course a level up doesn't matter so much anymore after you did hundreds of them. It's just natural.
    You just completely lost the connection. You're no new player anymore so you simply can't know how the game feels for someone just starting, yet you claim you know by saying that levelling doesn't feel as epic, story doesn't feel as epic and that new players in Cata (or back when I started in WotLK) don't feel any world feeling. That is complete bullshit.
    It's you who lost the world feeling. You can't get it back. Ever. It's not (entirely) Blizzards fault. You decided that you need to know the world inside out. It probably just occurs eventually if you play for a certain amount of time.
    But only because WoW doesn't feel like a world anymore because YOU recognized it boundaries doesn't mean you can apply that feeling to a new player.

You know when you started people didn't flame you when you didn't pick talents by level 40 because you had no clue that they even existed - nowadays people are flamed at level 20 when they haven't the proper cookie cutter spec in a dungeon. Do you realize where the problem lies? I give you a hint: It's not the new players.

I can't remember the process but I very much remember first realizing that I lost the feeling of WoW as a world. It was because I was so interested in the lore and wanted to know every bit, wanted to know the world inside out - but also all the mechanics that lie behind it.
    If you do that, it will eventually kill the immersion. You realize it's just a piece of software, there is no magic, no world. It has limits.

But you shoulnd't run around and complain how horrible that is then. This "world" didn't change, only your perception of it did. New players still experience something very epic when they start out the very first time in WoW. It's different then your or my first experience, but we have no right to claim it's less epic - because we can't tell. To us it isn't epic anymore because we know it.

That's life guys. Try to think about it. Of course you're still free to decide if you want to continue to play whatever is left to you of this game. I decide to do. Because I still wish to know everything of the Warcraft universe including stuff that's not in the game or not even in Metzen's head yet.
    Also gameplay wise I got so used to the way WoW works, it's hard for me to get used to other MMOs using a different approach so that's why I also stick to WoW for actual playing (that's only for MMOs, no problem adjusting to games like Skyrim though that have a completely different feel and different expectations on my side)
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Oh I feel you OP, I miss old wow too!

I miss spending months just to hit level 60
    I miss spending hours putting together instance groups only to have someone run out of time and have to leave before we even started
    I miss spending hours setting up 40 man raids
    I miss the feeling of not getting any loot because I was in a 40 man raid with 6 other people the same class as me
    I miss having useless talents that did jack crap (Improved wands, increased parry chance for hunters, increased melee damage)
    I miss it when classes like druid and paladin couldn't tank due to bad design
    I miss when classes had really bad DPS trees and the play style was a nightmare (Ret paladins, melee hunters lawl)
    I miss having to wait in que for a battleground for almost an hour because there were no cross realm BGs
    I miss having to wait till 4 in the morning for my honor to roll over just so I could buy PVP gear
    I miss being a paladin and having to buff a 40 man raid and by the time I got done buffing the last person, the first buff fell off due to it only lasting 5 MINUTES
    I miss being a mage having to make food and water for everyone instead of setting down a table
    I miss quests not telling you where to go or what to even do, so you have to look it up on thottbot, and if you didn't you were just walking around for hours blindly
    I miss seeing warrior sets with spirit even though the health regeneration you gained from it sucked very badly
    I miss leveling up weapon skills for days on end, this made getting new weapons go from "Yay!" to "Oh crap I have to level my weapon skill..." Not cool man, not cool..

Old WoW was great for the time, but you have to remember, there were A LOT of bad things about it too

Would you really want to play without the LFD system, guild perks, flying mounts, BOAs, new professions, better talent trees, more instances, more raids, more mounts, more titles, ACHIEVEMENTS, and so on?

These threads will never die. Sad

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We all miss that kind of things. If someone tells you the contrary, it's obviously a WotLK player or an idiot who likes to argue about everything.

Old WoW was clearly better than this, but there's not so much we can do but get on with it and play or quit, at least they can't change our memories!

New players seem to don't understand the concept of this kind of games, and want them to be one more shiny XBox game. As long as that happens, Actiblizzard will keep working in this direction

. It might look like they are improving the game, sure, tools like LFD are awesome, but do we really need them? i mean, is people so lazy? it doesn't make a big diference. To find a party used to take about one hour, sometimes even more but let's stop at 1 hour... considering the amount of players we have nowadays, it would take about 30 minutes, now think how long it take for the LFD tool.. between 15 and 30 minutes for a DPS.... a tank and healer ALWAYS had instant groups before LFD (been healing 5 years). It was a matter of staying around the ah spamming the chat..... exactly the same as LFD tool, just that you don't need to talk with people.

Then it teleports you... that's crap. It takes 5 minutes MAX to move from one point to another in Azeroth.. specially with 300++++ % flyers. So instead of getting teleported, we would LOAD Azeroth of players... and so we would make it feel alive. Maybe not as much as when we had to go by feet, but at least there will be people around and we all know what that means in PVP servers.

LFD is just an example. I could talk about the fast lvl up.. which is ridiculous. No matter that you take of your heirlooms off and go guildless, you end up outleveling areas within 40 minutes...and that's specially sad because they have revamped all the quests, which is really cool, but that also shows how fast the lvl up is.
    If soemone doesn't like to lvl up and just wants a char 'cos he lvled up two already... screw that person, it's what the game is all about... lvl up, gear up, raid/pvp.

But this could take for ever if we start talking about each weird change they've done. I am not qqing as many trolls would say, i'm just stating the obvious. I still like the game, but i've lost a great part of my interest for it due to things like this. If i buy a product it's because i like it.. if they decide to start changing it, i will start disliking it.. it's quite normal. And so far MoP changes are scary, tho i'm looking forward to see them, just to know if this game will definitely die in hands of the new players generation or if it wont be that terrible afterall (i hope the 2, i'm not a stupid fanboy who wants it to die, i want to enjoy it). So far, it's the first WoW stuff which disappoints me ever, but let's see.

Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    So you liked to fly to cross roads and go on foot, or by slow mount to razorfen kraul, to sit there waiting on someone else, to summon 3 other people? Really? You have an unique sense of fun.

Edit: I'm not talking community, I am talking about taking trips to hang out at stones, easily one of the most tedious things ever.
    I'd rather spend the 30 mins it takes to get a queue to pop running to RFK than sit in SW running in circles. At least you are actually doing something running to RFK.

Games change, get over it.

Dont worry, be happy -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Major Montana Max View Post
    Would you really want to play without the LFD system, guild perks, flying mounts, BOAs, new professions, better talent trees, more instances, more raids, more mounts, more titles, ACHIEVEMENTS, and so on?
    Man I wonder how those whiners were motivated to do anything without achievements? I mean look at them, they're unable to make up their own challenges or pass time activities when not having them spoon-fed via an achievement. I remember Violet Hold bugging out during WotLK once so that the portals never closed and were constantly spawning adds. Hell yes, that felt like self-made Violet Hold hard mode! (Sadly it wasn't reproducable) That made me realize that you sometimes just have to approach the game different than normal and make up your own challenges.

Also squirrel jumping/charging in Dalaran (or now rat jumping in stormwind)!

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    New players seem to don't understand the concept of this kind of games, and want them to be one more shiny XBox game. As long as that happens, Actiblizzard will keep working in this direction
    You know you put that like something bad but I thought the whole "being new, knowing shit, having to learn" aspect was what made it feel so amazing? Nowadays you are not allowed to learn, you have to know or study (ej, spreadsheets). Learning is not allowed because it disrupts YOUR educated and sophisticated gaming experience. You force your own disillusioned view on the new players, denying them the chance to enjoy the world.
    Last edited by Samin; 2011-11-21 at 10:26 AM.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?