Thread: Gems

Gems

This was probably brought up but, if u have alot of uncut gems is it worth keeping them when 4.3 comes out or sell them before 4.3 comes out?

Deleted
    Depends on your server, if they are selling for decent amounts now I would just cut and sell and restock for the patch. If gems are cheap right now I would wait until 4.3.

Gem prices are bound to skyrocket in the days after the patch hits. It is always like that.

Deleted
    Agree with Leobald. A lot of people will get new gear for their mains in 4.3, which ofc needs to be gemmed, while now most people will be geared and gemmed already so don't need to buy it (doesn't means gems won't sell ofc).

Best way is to have a stock and put a couple on the AH if the price isn't too low and restock what you sell (ofc the cut versions you should sell).

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't agree. I was there all day the first day of 4.2 and yes I did sell a lot of gems, but at normal, maybe even slightly below normal prices for most of the day. There was a relatively high starting price on gems when the servers came back up, but there was undercutting immediately, it didn't take long for prices to pretty much go back to normal and slightly below because people kept undercutting. The larger volume of sales meant that prices didn't drop too low though.

I expect a larger number of people needing gems in 4.3 because there are 3 new dungeons AND a new raid AND the raid finder which should allow more people to get gear. What I don't expect is much higher prices.

If you have the time to do so, simply be there for as much time as you can be, and keep checking and rechecking the AH for undercuts, and keep listing gems as you sell them. I made some 25k in sales I think (not profit) on just some basic gem cuts in 4.2, I expect 4.3 to be more potent. For me gems are all profit anyway cause they are "waste" from getting enchanting mats and I usually just make the blue fist weapons out of them for some extra Heavenly shards. (which is lazy, I know, but I make enough money as is to not waste even more time trying to cut and list and relist them as gems, I just keep an inventory)

Take in to account too that there are people like me that normally barely care about cut gems, that will be trying to get a bit of cash from early 4.3 by (trying to at least) selling our inventory of gems because this is the last big opportunity. I have some 60 gems of all colours, with enough ore on hand to make more if needed. Normally that all goes to disenchanting, cause it's easier and less time consuming. With 4.3 I'm going for max profit though, both in enchanting AND JC.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    A few of us on my realm have probably stockpiled 100s of inferno rubies (i have +/-220) and 100s of stacks of elementium ore (i think I have close to 600 stacks divided up between alts and one bank) and carnelians. We'll probably start high and undercut each other to the bone and prices will be normalized.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by macdisciple View Post
    A few of us on my realm have probably stockpiled 100s of inferno rubies (i have +/-220) and 100s of stacks of elementium ore (i think I have close to 600 stacks divided up between alts and one bank) and carnelians. We'll probably start high and undercut each other to the bone and prices will be normalized.
    Imo that will be the first day, starting high and undercutting. But you'll run out of stock while the demand is still there and then I can come in and sell high. Though this is all very server depending and how fast people replace gear (and are willing to gem gear that they'll replace soon anyway).

When 4.2 came, for 2-3-4 days gem prices were at least twice what they were before (100 --200 for red gems), and you could sell way more than usual. People were behaving themselves and there was no stupid undercutting. Hope it will be again like that.

The first weekend after patch day raises demand again. Casuals and kiddies log on to play, and people generally have more time to run the new dungeons and to grind points for gear.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thats it, the first day of patch will vary, they might or might not sell for high prices, but rest assured come the weekend they will, as people have hit dungeons, raids, mains, alts, alts of alts, raid finder etc etc... thats when you will really start too see stock move and drain very fast. First few weeks will be in very high demand of gems, chants and flasks.

It wont be straight off, be patient and wait for weekend too hit and weekend after that as well, give people time to work out new dungeons, raids, etc.

It is going to be fantastic especially for me as I said in my topic I x5 box, so I can attack AH, camp a mount, raid on another or dungeon and flick a screen too relist in AH

It really is going to be a VERY busy weekend once patch hits and people get into the new content like hotcakes!!

Dont worry to much on the first few days, weekend is where it will be at.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuanur View Post
    A lot of people will get new gear for their mains in 4.3, which ofc needs to be gemmed, while now most people will be geared and gemmed already so don't need to buy it (doesn't means gems won't sell ofc).
    Remember those people who go for JP gear, and alts. Since we'll have 378 gear from JP and a new Season from HP.