Thread: Skyrim classes

Skyrim classes

Hello MMO-Cers!

I bought Skyrim last week and so far i have been extraordinarily impressed with the game.
    The problem is that i levelled a guy to level 13 (not much i know) with the warrior (heavy armour, shields etc) in mind.
    I then found out that i liked the thief playstyle better, but i came to think that thieves have a combat disadvantage over warriors.
    This is because mobs hit harder the less armour you got, and as a thief you use medium armour which therefore makes mobs hit you a lot harder. Also, warriors generally use shields, but as thieves don't, wouldn't this increase the amount of damage they take to near unsurvivable levels?
    Mages also have very little armour but most of their damage is ranged.

in short: aren't thieves quite underpowered due to armour?

thanks for any replies

thieves are supposed to kil stuff faster since they have lesser armor
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

Deleted
    Your sneak lets you oneshot most mobs, and the ones you don't oneshot, you just hide from and shoot again.

thieves or the stealthy class often use a bow as well todo some ranged damage, so its not like you have to be at melee range all the time

Thieves and Archers will always (if possible) start a fight in Sneak.
    Their dmg output is higher and therefor you kill things faster.

Deleted
    thieves hit pretty damn hard, sneak bonus is a hard hitter

This didn't need its own thread, there is a mega-thread for Skyrim questions: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...7#post14306207

OT: As a thief, you shouldn't be getting hit very often... The whole point of the thief/assassin play style is to kill stealthily. You sneak up to your enemy and backstab them or you attack from range...

i guess my newness is evident, considering i really didn't think about sneaking.

thanks awfully for your replies, helped a lot ^^

The best stealthy is a archer with only some melee skills, mostly relying on high sneak skill and a good bow to just oneshot everything out of the shadows and still not being detected, taking out one enemy after the other. Dragons are pretty harsh for those though because you can't get that sneak advantage on them (unless it's a sleeping one on a mountain) Generally if you don't get the sneak advantage you just waste errors and it's annoying really...but if you get it it's just OP :P

Eventually normal draugr or similar enemies can stand just in front of you without seeing you, pretty fun actually :P Go thieves guild, it will help you out lots on this kind of character!
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    This didn't need its own thread, there is a mega-thread for Skyrim questions: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...7#post14306207

OT: As a thief, you shouldn't be getting hit very often... The whole point of the thief/assassin play style is to kill stealthily. You sneak up to your enemy and backstab them or you attack from range...
    yeah, true, although i don't think i'd ever find my comment/answer again.

I am a 33 Wood Elf archer with about 90 archery and 80 sneak, and I am using light armor.
    It's really comfortable as I can oneshot almost any mob when hitting from a hidden position while sneaking. It gets especially good when you start getting the x3.0 multiplier in sneak and the x15.0 dagger multiplier.

All in all, besides dragon fights, don't worry too much about armor rating.
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."

Why can't skyrim have it's own forum section!!! It is the most popular non mmo out there right now, and i don't want to sift through 400+ pages to find something I'm looking for

Quote Originally Posted by zephurwitch View Post
    Why can't skyrim have it's own forum section!!! It is the most popular non mmo out there right now, and i don't want to sift through 400+ pages to find something I'm looking for
    Because this hype will die down in a matter of weeks... It is a single-player RPG that only updates through DLC, there's only so much you can discuss...

The only benefit of using medium armor is to help you sneak and have slightly better movement speed.

If you are not going to use sneak attacks there is no need to use medium armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Badluckandtrouble View Post
    Hello MMO-Cers!

I bought Skyrim last week and so far i have been extraordinarily impressed with the game.
    The problem is that i levelled a guy to level 13 (not much i know) with the warrior (heavy armour, shields etc) in mind.
    I then found out that i liked the thief playstyle better, but i came to think that thieves have a combat disadvantage over warriors.
    This is because mobs hit harder the less armour you got, and as a thief you use medium armour which therefore makes mobs hit you a lot harder. Also, warriors generally use shields, but as thieves don't, wouldn't this increase the amount of damage they take to near unsurvivable levels?
    Mages also have very little armour but most of their damage is ranged.

in short: aren't thieves quite underpowered due to armour?

thanks for any replies
    You can have good survivability in light armor (there is no medium armor). I recommend maxing your smithing skill, spending only the perks up to the armor type you want to look like. A 100 smith improving leather armor will give a good armor rating, even more if you improve the armor while wearing +smithing enchanted gear (ideally with 5 perk points spend in the initial enchanting perk, and an enchanting potion drunk).

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    The only benefit of using medium armor is to help you sneak and have slightly better movement speed.

If you are not going to use sneak attacks there is no need to use medium armor.
    Not even that, as in the heavy armor tree you can spend perks on removing the weight and movement speed reduction.
    That's why Skyrim is such a great game, you can be sneaking around in a full steel plate armor kit, and still be good at it.
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."